Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 32

Thread: Both sides fighting with the same aircraft

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    135 metres from Boscombe Down
    Posts
    1,724

    Both sides fighting with the same aircraft

    I often see on here comparisons between particular aircraft of different make (Eurofighter v Mitsubishi F-2 most recent) and this has got me thinking have there ever been two countries that have gone to war with each other and had a percentage of their air forces each flying the same aircraft?
    If you're not living on the edge then you're taking up too much space!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ravenholm
    Posts
    2,793
    A Turkey - Greece War would be ideal for this Ukraine vs Russia another U.S vs Pakistan

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Deep in the heart of Brum
    Posts
    1,505
    Quote Originally Posted by ante_climax View Post
    A Turkey - Greece War would be ideal for this Ukraine vs Russia another U.S vs Pakistan
    Once upon a time most countries in the Middle East seemed to fly Mirages of one sort or another...
    I don't want to die, because I don't want to end up like Anita Dobson - Frank Sidebottom, actually.
    Thank you

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    916
    Russia vs Georgia last summer. Both AFs flew Su-25 and Mi-24s etc.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    48
    Israel and Egypt both flew Spitfires in the late 40's.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Posts
    154
    Eritrea vs Ethipia both have the same types of aircraft.

    Pakistan vs India may put the J-7 against the MiG-21.

    Didn't Egyptian and Lybian fighters scramble some decades ago but I'm not sure if they were usding the same types.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    937
    Egyptian Mirage 5 vs Israeli Mirage III and Kfir in 1973
    Ethiopian MiG-21 bis vs Somalian MiG-21 MF during the Ogaden war - late 70's
    Iraq and Kuwait both had Mirage F1 in 1990, I'm not aware of any encounters.

    If Nagorno-Karabah flares up again both Armenia and Azerbaidjan have Su-25, Mi-24, L-39...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto ON, Canada
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by Vatche View Post
    Eritrea vs Ethipia both have the same types of aircraft.

    Pakistan vs India may put the J-7 against the MiG-21.

    Didn't Egyptian and Lybian fighters scramble some decades ago but I'm not sure if they were usding the same types.
    Canberras on the Indian side and Martin B-57's on the Pakistani side.
    "It was a magnificent display of trained and disciplined valour, and its assault only failed of success because dead men can advance no further."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    135 metres from Boscombe Down
    Posts
    1,724
    Quote Originally Posted by ante_climax View Post
    A Turkey - Greece War would be ideal for this Ukraine vs Russia another U.S vs Pakistan
    This one would be a very interesting exchange...!
    If you're not living on the edge then you're taking up too much space!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Where you wish you were.
    Posts
    7,487
    While not combat aircraft...
    Both the UK and Argentina used C-130s in the Falklands.

    Japan and the allies used DC-3s, Lockheed Lodestars and Beech 17s.

    I'm sure Isreal and Iran would have a few common types (transports, helicopters...are they still flying Phantoms?).

    And as pointed out in the most recent FlyPast, during the 1980 failed U.S. hostage rescue mission, the U.S.and Iran both operated C-130s, H-53s, and Phantoms.

    And back in the 80s, North Korea was noted buying civil Hughes/McDD 500 helicopters...to insert agents into South Korea who also used the type.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto ON, Canada
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by J Boyle View Post
    While not combat aircraft...
    Both the UK and Argentina used C-130s in the Falklands.

    Japan and the allies used DC-3s, Lockheed Lodestars and Beech 17s.

    I'm sure Isreal and Iran would have a few common types (transports, helicopters...are they still flying Phantoms?).

    And as pointed out in the most recent FlyPast, during the 1980 failed U.S. hostage rescue mission, the U.S.and Iran both operated C-130s, H-53s, and Phantoms.

    The Iranians only operated the H-53's that were left behind. They did not IIRC operate them previously to the 'Desert One' incident.
    "It was a magnificent display of trained and disciplined valour, and its assault only failed of success because dead men can advance no further."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    11,258
    Originally Posted by Vatche

    Didn't Egyptian and Lybian fighters scramble some decades ago but I'm not sure if they were usding the same types
    Libyan-Egyptian border war July 1977 Both with MiG-21MF , MiG-23MS and Mirage 5

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Where you wish you were.
    Posts
    7,487
    Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    The Iranians only operated the H-53's that were left behind. They did not IIRC operate them previously to the 'Desert One' incident.
    I believe they did.
    As I recall, they blew up the surviving American ones before someone ralized that they could have operated them or used them as a source of spares...
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    48
    Nope. The Iranians put the helicopters into service.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    115
    During the Falklands war, another asset available to both sides, was CH-47.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    135 metres from Boscombe Down
    Posts
    1,724
    Quote Originally Posted by George_nkl View Post
    During the Falklands war, another asset available to both sides, was CH-47.
    Can anybody think of any other wars us Brits were involved in fighting against our own aircraft? There must almost certainly be ones with the Americans fighting US equipment.
    If you're not living on the edge then you're taking up too much space!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,481
    Not sure if the Brits used Meteors themselves in that conflict, but a RAF Valiant had an encounter with an Egyptian one in the Suez conflict, IIRC.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Oslo norway
    Posts
    32
    Once upon a time I started a similar topic.

    http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55580

    Allthough about A2A kills between same type AC. Lots of goodies:

    Israeli Spitfires vs RAF and REAF spitfires
    Fin I-153 vs CCCP I-153 (!)
    Hondurian F-4U vs El Salvador FG-1 (still a corsair in my view)
    Luftwaffe bf-109 vs Yugoslavian bf-109

    All old stuff, with real planes. Not this boring jet-stuff thing.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Not sure if the Brits used Meteors themselves in that conflict, but a RAF Valiant had an encounter with an Egyptian one in the Suez conflict, IIRC.
    They went up against Egyptian Vampires, is that what you meant? Egypt never operated Valiants.

    Logan Hartke

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan Hartke View Post
    Egypt never operated Valiants.
    Er, quite. I can see how my post is misleading, I meant to say that an Egyptian Meteor intercepted a RAF Valiant.

    Sorry for causing confusion
    Last edited by Trident; 13th January 2009 at 18:45.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9,973
    Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    Canberras on the Indian side and Martin B-57's on the Pakistani side.
    Talk about odd. Not many bombers get exported in the West and to have a situation like above has to be rare.
    “A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.” - George Bernard Shaw

    flag@whitehouse.gov

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Er, quite. I can see how my post is misleading, I meant to say that an Egyptian Meteor intercepted a RAF Valiant.

    Sorry for causing confusion
    More on those at ACIG.

    Logan Hartke

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,379
    Romanian Bf 109 against German and Hungarian Bf 109, from August 23 1944 to May 9 1945.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    .de
    Posts
    1,997
    Quote Originally Posted by aurcov View Post
    Romanian Bf 109 against German and Hungarian Bf 109, from August 23 1944 to May 9 1945.
    I recall Swiss Bf 109s clashing with Luftwaffe 109s flying over Swiss territory during the war as well.
    Patrick

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    london
    Posts
    816

    Irani RH-53D

    J.Boyle is right. The Shah's Navy had 6 minesweeper RH-53D.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    638
    to name a few others:

    Honduras vs Nicaragua: P-38, T-6, A-26

    CIA vs Cuba: A-36

    Honduras vs El Salvador: Corsair, A-26

    Costa Rica vs Nicaragua: F-51

    Mali vs Burkina Faso: MiG-17

    Uganda vs Tanzania: MiG-21

    Angola vs Congo Brazzaville: MiG-21

    Angola + Zimbabe vs Uganda in the DRC: MiG-21, F-7

    DRC vs Katanga: T-6

    Peru vs Ecuador: A-37

    Cambodia vs Vietnam: F-6 (perhaps don't know whether Vietnam still had them)

    During the Mid-East wars/skirmishes, Spitfires, Gloster Meteors, T-6s

    China vs Taiwan, difficult to say, perhaps F-51s, F-47s or even ex-Japanese aircraft

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    52
    Probable misprint, but CIA vs Cuba was Douglas A-26 Invader

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    916
    Finish Hurricanes vs Soviet Hurricanes during (later parts of) WWII?

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Fort Bragg California
    Posts
    465
    Turkish and Greek F-102s during the Invasion of Cyprus.Also I believe a few times Greek and Turkish F-16s have clashed or came close.

    The potential is also there for Ethiopian and Eritrean Flankers to go up against each other,if they haven't already.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    937
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffon39 View Post
    Finish Hurricanes vs Soviet Hurricanes during (later parts of) WWII?
    Romanian Hurricanes faced (and downed at least one) Soviet Hurricanes in the early stages of operation Barbarossa.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

- Part of the    Network -

KEY AERO AVIATION NEWS

MAGAZINES

AVIATION FORUM

SHOP

 

WEBSITES