Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Foulness Island Ranges

Quote Originally Posted by stuart gowans View Post
    I also remember the rasp/ripple Bucc, laying on the ground in Hanningfield Metal's , this one had been converted to take the Tornado radar and radome, and looked a bit ungainly; it had also had a fire in the front cockpit floor area, but was otherwise ok, they offered (the cockpit) at an almost giveaway price, but in the end there were no takers, and was I believe scrapped.
    It was scrapped Stuart, Glenn Cattermole managed to get a few items for XT284 from it, which included Canopy Rails, Canopy complete with bullet hole and few other bits and pieces.
    Searching my records, I find that the cockpit of 272 was offered for £1500.

I recall that I was offered the cockpit for about £500- at that time the museum at Farnborough was interested, I already had enough aeronautical junk to last a life time, so I declined; subsequently they never exercised their option.

Whilst there was a lot of work needed, it was restorable, but everyone I mentioned it to, shy'd away from the hard work required, which is typical in my experience, and why I have such admiration to those few that do take on basket cases, most of which aren't worth the time and money spent on them; (in monetary terms) but of course that isn't why they are doing it.
    Why be your own worse critic, that's what the forum is for.

Quote Originally Posted by stuart gowans View Post
    I recall that I was offered the cockpit for about £500- at that time the museum at Farnborough was interested, I already had enough aeronautical junk to last a life time, so I declined; subsequently they never exercised their option.
    Hanningfield offered it to us, The BBS, for £1500, if it had been offered at £500, we would have taken it!!
    We never followed up on their offer, should have done really, but at least she help with parts for another project before meeting the crusher.

Quote Originally Posted by TomDocherty72 View Post
    I was the crewman (loadmaster) on that Chinook with my head stuck down the hatch lifting the Bucc! The Bucc had been stripped of almost everything to bring its weight down so we could lift it. We had to keep the fuel load down to achieve it and, if I recall correctly, could only fly it down in 15 minute to 1hr hops via locations where we could refuel from pre-positioned bowsers and at airfields such as Ipswich, where we nearly wrecked the light aircraft park as the ATC controller had not considered the downwash from 20+ tons of Chinook and Bucc! We flew the sortie on 11 Oct 88 in ZA678 and the pilot/captain was Flt Lt Brian Symons. Our route was Honington - Wattisham - Ipswich - Colchester - Shoeburyness. I am sure the Bucc underslung was quite a sight for the locals. Total time to effect the move was 2hrs 45 mins.
    Was this the only time that a Buccaneer flew wingless!

Quote Originally Posted by avion ancien View Post
    Was this the only time that a Buccaneer flew wingless!
    XV359 was airlifted from Predannack to RNAS Culdrose under a Chinook, that was stripped to the minimum, John Sparks & team from Hunter Flying undertook the ground work.

Quote Originally Posted by buccsociety View Post
    Hanningfield offered it to us, The BBS, for £1500, if it had been offered at £500, we would have taken it!!
    We never followed up on their offer, should have done really, but at least she help with parts for another project before meeting the crusher.
    To be honest that is often the way, people ask way too much for something from the outset and it puts everyone off, only to sell it (or scrap it) for a fraction of the value; forgot to mention that I aquired the intakes from this A/C, and they are fitted to one of those two at Welshpool.
    Why be your own worse critic, that's what the forum is for.

Foulness was recipient of the worlds last flying Scimitar (XD244) which flew in to Southend from Hurn on Saturday 13th February 1971 this was the last flight of the type. It was roaded out to Foulness on Monday15th February 1971.

Four other Scimitars are known to have flown in to Southend:

XD241 and XD322 flew in on Wednesday 2nd December 1970 and left by road on Monday 21st December 1970,

XD333 & XD234 flew in on Wednesday 20th January 1971 and left by road on Monday 15th February 1971.

(Thanks to Ken, Southend Yahoo group)
    Pass the remote

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
    Foulness was recipient of the worlds last flying Scimitar (XD244) which flew in to Southend from Hurn on Saturday 13th February 1971 this was the last flight of the type. It was roaded out to Foulness on Monday15th February 1971.

XD241 and XD322 flew in on Wednesday 2nd December 1970 and left by road on Monday 21st December 1970,

XD333 & XD234 flew in on Wednesday 20th January 1971 and left by road on Monday 15th February 1971.

Does Ken, or any other member of the Southend Yahoo group, have any information concerning the transportation to Foulness in the 1960s (or perhaps earlier?) of the various four engined piston bombers referred to earlier in the thread or any photos of airframes en route to Foulness?

Quote Originally Posted by TomDocherty72 View Post
    I was the crewman (loadmaster) on that Chinook with my head stuck down the hatch lifting the Bucc! The Bucc had been stripped of almost everything to bring its weight down so we could lift it.

As if by magic...
    From my archives:
    Credit; Pic and article by Southend Evening Echo
    Attached Images Attached Images  

http://s545.photobucket.com/albums/h...erila%20Views/ During my time as a camera operator with the Ordnance Survey I flew over Foulness several times on the way into Southend and as I often had a 35mm with me managed to take the odd snap or two. The two Foulness photo's were taken in July 1993.

Quote Originally Posted by XE584 View Post
    http://s545.photobucket.com/albums/h...erila%20Views/ The two Foulness photo's were taken in July 1993.
    Interesting to see what appears to be a TSR2 wing in the undergrowth below the Valiant nose still knocking around in 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Jagx204 View Post
    Interesting to see what appears to be a TSR2 wing in the undergrowth below the Valiant nose still knocking around in 1993
    There were quite a few TSR2 bits knocking around well into the late 90s - is that a fuselage to the right of the Valiant nose?
    Last edited by DaveF68; 11th January 2009 at 21:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post

I have the stick from XD244 complete with bullet holes!!

Dave Charles
    Historian 607 (County of Durham) Squadron

Does anyone happen to have any pics of the RAFM Tempest on or just after the bits were pulled out of the ranges? Would be interesting to see what damage was done to the airframe before they realised they were destroying what they thought was the last Tempest V

Does Ken, or any other member of the Southend Yahoo group, have any information concerning the transportation to Foulness in the 1960s (or perhaps earlier?) of the various four engined piston bombers referred to earlier in the thread or any photos of airframes en route to Foulness?
    Pretty please!

err, the Tempest went Foulness, to North Weald in 1958 to Middleton st George before the RAFM museum existed. there were never any claims for Typhoons on Foulness.
    There is a picture of Valiant being transported in Oct58 Air Pictorial. The Southend Standard had pictures of B29s stuck under the bridge in 1962. these were en-route Liverpool Docks(not Tilbury) to F.I.

Quote Originally Posted by rochford View Post
    There is a picture of Valiant being transported in Oct58 Air Pictorial. The Southend Standard had pictures of B29s stuck under the bridge in 1962. these were en-route Liverpool Docks(not Tilbury) to F.I.
    I don't suppose that you have copies of the AP and Southend Standard pictures and can be persuaded to scan and post them here..................?

Really sorry, no, after publishing all the lists back in 1968 I dumped all that sort of thing.
    I was just hoping it would lead to others flushing out pictures taken in North Weald blast pens......

Quote Originally Posted by rochford View Post
    Really sorry, no, after publishing all the lists back in 1968 I dumped all that sort of thing.
    I was just hoping it would lead to others flushing out pictures taken in North Weald blast pens......
    Ah well, it was worth the ask!

Is this the previously mentioned Mig-23 or a Jaguar without wings?

Apologies if this is not the "accepted" way of posting Google earth images.

Looks like a Jag - but may have both intake boxes off ( spares recovered )

I used to live on Foulness for years and remember pretty much all of what is being spoken of. I moved off 5 years or so ago, but still live locally. I'm not one for particular numbers or what ever, but i do remember what aircraft were there and at what times.

I have a few tsr2 pieces here at home too that i picked up around 2002/2003 that i'll take pics of and upload some time.

Ok, so. I remember white city battery had a full, intact buccaneer sitting at its entrance until around 2003 ish, it was then moved and shot at. A lot. About the same time there was a harrier that was used as a target round the back of ETC. It was usually hung from a helicopter for some reason.

There we're 2 mig's minus wings, another buccaneer and several aircraft that were beyond recognition located next to the engine test gantry (there was also some sort of submarine-car here for a while)

Towards the other end the island there was a mass of various aircraft bits and pieces including many lightning noses and cockpits, a valiant and for a short while some vulcan parts and cockpit. Round the back of this was a V1, complete but in a bad state of affairs. All of these were removed around 2005 i should think.

Theres still now some parts laying in verges and dotted around the island if you know where to look. I could go on for hours, but i guess the easiest way is to leave it there and update should any questions be asked.

Thanks

Welcome, qwertyqwerty, and thank you for your reminiscences. I am sure that many who have contributed to this thread will be anxious to cross-examine you concerning your historical knowledge of the Foulness Island Ranges!

RAF Washingtons(B-29) to Shoeburyness .

WF434 del 8.57
    WF435 " "
    WF436 " "
    WF441 9.58

WW346 1958
    WW356 9.58

WZ967 9.58
    WZ968 "
    WZ969 "

All were used for gunnery tests.
    Fly with the eagles,or scratch with the chickens.

Pretty please!
    Somewhere between 1963 and 1966 several Lincoln fuselages were transported by road by low loader articulated lorries, to Foulness, overnighting at a road haulier's yard, who's name escapes me, but was next to the railway line and Bournes Bridge at Hayes, Middlesex, just across the road from the E.M.I. factory where I worked at the time. They were only the front halves, so I never did discover the serials. All had black undersides. The yard owners wouldn't disclose where they had originated from, but did say they were en-route for Foulness. I did take some photos at the time, but can't recall actually seeing them as prints...
    Lee
    Cap'n Plug
    www.afac.co.uk

I'd be more than happy to (try) to answer any questions. As secretive as a lot of the island is, nothing over there is really a secret for long.

T.21: B-29. Your last 3, WZs were ex-192 Sqdn/Watton, the "Signals" Unit that became 51 Sqdn, and replaced RAF's last B-29s in 1958 with Lincolns. Most probably banupa's Lincolns were ex-Watton, withdrawn late-1963.

I was working there for a while, back in about 1983. It was around a 7mile trip from the gate at
    Wakering to where we were working. Sometimes I used to take a slight diversion and drive past
    the aircraft dump. As they were a bit touchy on security, you couldn't really stop and take
    pictures, although I'm sure I have a (bad) picture of a Lightning standing on three concrete blocks.
    We also had to get a tractor to move a Victor fuselage, so we could lay a new water pipe. They also
    used to do all sorts of tests, such as running a Harrier engine up and firing explosive bullets into it,
    to see what would happen.

There were always lots of bangs going off.
    Last edited by ~Alan~; 6th May 2012 at 10:12.

Thread Information