Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miles M57 Aerovan

Miles M57 Aerovan

Hi All
    A simple query, let's see what it brings in - I read that Silver City Airways once used an Aerovan. Does anyone here know / remember its reg. number ?. Any photos of Aerovans would also be most welcome although I appreciate that as it wasn't the most photogenic of aircraft, few 'snappers' would have wasted valuable film on the flying guppy.

Regards,
    I remain more in hope than expectation - Dave M

Two for you, snow picture copyright owner unknown
    Last edited by old eagle; 15th June 2009 at 21:53.

I believe the Silver City aircraft was G-AJOG later sold as OO-ERY.
    http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 10.8 times!

I've always thought that the Aerovan was a delightful looking and clean design given its role.
    There has certainly been alot worse passenger/transport looking types then and since.

..............and here's another.

Last weekend I was having a discussion with a friend concerning which was the last Aerovan to survive (as opposed to fly) in the UK. I thought that it was the one which suffered a long, lingering death in the old blister hangar at Chivenor (G-AJOG). Was this the last UK Aerovan? He suggested that another survived in the Benelux countries after this. Was this so? If it was, which one was that?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just another Aerovan thought. What happened to the components of G-AMYC? Jackson (1974) indicates that these were taken to Stapleford "for possible preservation". Now I'm not suggesting that these survive but it would be interesting to know (a) if they were taken to Stapleford with a view to prerservation and, if so, (b) what eventually was their fate.

I worked for Thurston Aviation in 1971 and I did hear that the Aerovan and Tawney Owl were in storage in one of the storage hangars near the main gate.
    Most likely have gone by now but might be worth enquiring.
    Fly with the eagles,or scratch with the chickens.

G-AJOG, (OO-ERY) is recorded as being 'destroyed' in the U.K.

Thanks Gentlemen !
    Your quick replies and great information are just what I was hoping for. If in doubt, ask this forum of experts first !
    Regards
    Dave M

Coincidentally there was an interesting discussion on Barry Clay's Wings Over Warwickshire Forum 9-10 days ago about Aerovans. My knowledge of the type is very slim so the following is extracted from that Forum.

Barry put up a photo of the c/n plate he took off G-AJOG shortly before it was burnt at Wrafton Gate (Chivenor??) "without the permission of the RAF Fire Service" in November, 1963. He also put up a photo of the aircraft taken minutes before the axe fell.

However the c/n plate has c/n no. 6414 on it - which as that Forums resident Miles expert pointed out is actually the c/n of G-AJTC.

The c/n plate on the Aerovan was apparently attached to the control column and as both 'JOG and 'JTC were operated by Ladi Marmol and his operation flying Chivenor - Lundy Island it is thought perhaps that after 'JTC was written off spares were recovered and the control column found it's way ont 'JOG.

Roger Smith.

ps there is currently a discussion running on the Miles M.18 and the aforesaid "resident Miles expert" (Peter ??) mentions a new "History of Miles Aircraft" which sounds as if it's going to be in three volumes. yummy
    A Blenheim, Beaufighter and Beaufort - together in one Museum. Who'd have thought that possible in 1967?

The Royal New Zealand Air Force employed two Miles Aerovan Mk.4s in the period 1949-1951.
    The first one, c/n 6428 ex G-21-4 became NZ1751 and was used for aerial topdressing trials (the mind boggles - definition of underpowered!) and had flown just 67 hours when it was sold in 1951 to become ZK-AWW. After a further brief (very brief I would think) period of topdressing it then became a freighter based at Mossburn, flying at one stage a complete small bulldozer dismantled into sections into a remote bush airstrip! It was destroyed in a forced-landing in fading light short of it's landing strip & DBR Ranfurly 26Feb54.

The second Aerovan, c/n 6427 ex G-21-3 became NZ1752 and was used for aerial magnetometer survey work. It completed 103 hours before being sold in November 1950. It became ZK-AWV and was used on freight flights between Christchurch and Wellington, finally being destroyed at Wellington when a wind gust overturned it on 2Nov51.

I have always considered the Aerovan a concept ahead of its time, handicapped by its lack of power and fragile short-life plywood construction.
    Last edited by flyernzl; 4th October 2008 at 04:48.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............................

NZ1751 Air Force Day 16 Sept. 1950
    Last edited by hairy; 4th October 2008 at 06:38.

More great photos and information -brilliant !
    Peter Minto has been a great information source and help to me by emails whilst I've been designing various Miles aircraft for Flightsimmers - what he doesn't know about them would fit on a postage stamp. Know about his book - can't wait !
    Regards
    Dave M

Great pics flyernzl and hairy, I had no idea that the Aerovan ever appeared in military marks. Would have looked different in camo.

Do no Aerovans exist anywhere then?

Quote Originally Posted by pagen01 View Post
    Great pics flyernzl and hairy, I had no idea that the Aerovan ever appeared in military marks. Would have looked different in camo.
    One Aerovan served at the Israeli air force in June 1948, it was ex-G-AJWI C/N 6418, and yes it had camo.
    It was destroyed in July 17th in a crash landing south of Tel-Aviv, all passengers survived the landing, five were killed by Arabs two managed to escape.

Pic Source http://www.iaf.org.il

As if on demand! Thank you Drone.
    this is a really interesting thread, perhaps threads about the Aerocar, Satellite and Concordia will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by molyned View Post
    More great photos and information -brilliant !
    Peter Minto has been a great information source and help to me by emails whilst I've been designing various Miles aircraft for Flightsimmers - what he doesn't know about them would fit on a postage stamp. Know about his book - can't wait !
    Regards
    Dave M
    What book ,please?

John

Pagen 01
    I don't have much other than "borrowed" pix, but it seemed like a good idea so the threads are up and running.
    Will be interesting to see what else is put up !

Quote Originally Posted by John Aeroclub View Post
    What book ,please?

John
    I suspect that the Peter being referred to is actually Peter Amos. I understand that he is updating, or has updated, Don Brown's monograph on Miles Aircraft and that Air Britain are to publish it - but I don't know when - as a three volume tome. I already have it on my Christmas list. The only problem is that I don't know which Christmas that will be! All I can say is that I have every expectation that it will be unputdownable, for what Peter doesn't know about Miles Aircraft isn't worth knowing!

Quote Originally Posted by RPSmith View Post
    Coincidentally there was an interesting discussion on Barry Clay's Wings Over Warwickshire Forum 9-10 days ago about Aerovans. My knowledge of the type is very slim so the following is extracted from that Forum.

Barry put up a photo of the c/n plate he took off G-AJOG shortly before it was burnt at Wrafton Gate (Chivenor??) "without the permission of the RAF Fire Service" in November, 1963. He also put up a photo of the aircraft taken minutes before the axe fell.

However the c/n plate has c/n no. 6414 on it - which as that Forums resident Miles expert pointed out is actually the c/n of G-AJTC.

The c/n plate on the Aerovan was apparently attached to the control column and as both 'JOG and 'JTC were operated by Ladi Marmol and his operation flying Chivenor - Lundy Island it is thought perhaps that after 'JTC was written off spares were recovered and the control column found it's way ont 'JOG.

Roger Smith.

ps there is currently a discussion running on the Miles M.18 and the aforesaid "resident Miles expert" (Peter ??) mentions a new "History of Miles Aircraft" which sounds as if it's going to be in three volumes. yummy
    So was G-AJOG the last Aerovan to survive in the UK or did the components of G-AMYC outlive it at Stapleford? T-21 suggests that the latter may have been in the custody of Thurston Engineering as late as 1971. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Cross referring to the recent thread concerning the Tawney Owl, and the account that the remains of this were given away for preservation, is it possible that if some of the components of G-AMYC survived into the 1970s these too were given away for preservation? Again, does anyone have any information as to this?

Finally does anyone know anything about the possibility of there having been a Benelux Aerovan that outlived G-AJOG?

I wonder if the plans for the aircraft survive? And if so how hard it would be to make a new one?

I never actually saw the Stapleford Aerovan but it was often mentioned by various people amongst the group of spotters / enthusiasts who were regulars at Southend in the late 60's and early 70's. I was always led to believe that it was kept in one of the hangars on the far side of the airfield which weren't accessible to the public. I think it is likely that the Stapleford aircraft was the last survivor.
    Last edited by WJ244; 4th October 2008 at 19:49. Reason: spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by WJ244 View Post
    I never actually saw the Stapleford Aerovan but it was often mentioned by various people amongst the group of spotters / enthusiasts who were regulars at Southend in the late 60's and early 70's. I was always led to believe that it was kept in one of the hangars on the far side of the airfield which weren't accessible to the public. I think it is likely that the Stapleford aircraft was the last survivor.
    ..........................but what became of it?

This thread seems pertinent :forum.keypublishing.co.uk/archive/index.php?t-43281.html -

Quote Originally Posted by RPSmith View Post

.............be very grateful for a hyperlink to this site, please.

This could be the link?

http://cloudancer1.tripod.com/

Hi Newforest;
    Thank you for the link, but it is Less than useless. More to the point it is extremely aggravating! I tried it at least ten times and every time the tantalizing aircraft photos and text switch after five seconds,to a partial page with just a few annoying advertisements for tee shirts and other junk, with no forward or reverse arrow feature, no website index other than their ads, and no way to click on the actual website with aircraft.
    Why do people bother constructing websites that advertising hosts prevent you from seeing?
    Joe G.

Agree with the problem, still trying to locate that elusive link!

Would love to have seen an Aerovan sadly I'm far too young to have...

Anyway I seem to recalled having found a list of Aerovan accidents and after a seach here it is. Beleve one was scrapped at Southend but have no details.

G-AKHG 21FEB1952 Miles M.57 Aerovan Arab Contracting & Trading Company Hama
    G-AJKJ 25MAR1948 Miles M.57 Aerovan Irish Sea 0
    G-AJKM 03MAY1949 Miles M.57 Aerovan Lympne 0
    G-AJKP 17DEC1957 Miles M.57 Aerovan Meridian Air Maps Oldbury
    G-AJOB 27JUN1947 Miles M.57 Aerovan Irish Sea 0
    G-AJOI 07DEC1950 Miles M.57 Aerovan Patrick Aviation Elmdon 0
    G-AJTC 23SEP1955 Miles M.57 Aerovan Air Ads Munich 0
    G-AJTD 03NOV1948 Miles M.57 Aerovan Newtownards 0
    G-AJWD 26AUG1956 Miles M.57 Aerovan Air Ads Dunkerque 0
    G-AJWI 1950 Miles M.57 Aerovan Mayfair Air Services United Kingdom 0
    G-AJXK 03DEC1950 Miles M.57 Aerovan Handley Page Aircraft Woodley 0
    G-AKHG 21FEB1952 Miles M.57 Aerovan Arab Contracting & Trading Company Hama 0
    Pass the remote

Quote Originally Posted by avion ancien View Post
    .............be very grateful for a hyperlink to this site, please.
    It's actually a google group and I think you may have to join to view participate - the following should get you there:

http://groups.google.com/group/wing-...ickshire?hl=en

Roger Smith
    A Blenheim, Beaufighter and Beaufort - together in one Museum. Who'd have thought that possible in 1967?

Thread Information