Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vulcan Crash on Anglesey?

Vulcan Crash on Anglesey?

Hi all, I have been browsing this forum for about 6 months and have just registered finally!

I work at RAF Valley and often fly rc from the camp, where I often get chattin to some of the older guys who are ex-raf and some ex jockeys.

Now I have heard about a Vulcan crashing on the island, may have been late 50's, early 60's. Story goes that she came in with an engine fire and was sent out to sea where the rear crew bailed and the pilots trimmed for a descent and ejected. Now as they were floating to the sea they watched as the plane turned back for land and crashed on some farmland near to the village of caergeiliog.

Any idea how tru this story is? Have heard it from a few people but yet to see any evidence!

Also there was a vulcan on the dump in valley for years, any history on this one?

There is a plane buried nearby, but its a twin prop of some kind from the 60's

Thanks

Hello Mr Noodle. The Vulcan was XA909 of 101 Sqn Waddington and it came down on 16th July 64 at Gwalchmai. Unusally everyone got out of it. There is lots of detail in Roy Sloan's 'Anglesey Air Accidents' book.

Welcome to the Forum Tye. You probably have your answer already, but the accident to XM610 is earily similar and well worth reading!

http://www.neam.co.uk/wingate.html
    http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 10.8 times!

Duh, Gwalchmai not Caergeiliog! I know 50 odd sheep got killed when the plane hit the deck, mainly of shock! Thanks for clarifying some of the info, I wonder if any board users have any pictures of vulcans at valley? I hear they were based here for a short while? Would be nice to see some from the early days

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by TyeNoodle View Post
    Also there was a vulcan on the dump in valley for years, any history on this one?
    Welcome to the forum!

The Vulcan in question was B2 XL392, first delivered to the RAF on 01/08/1962, with Olympus 200 series engines. She was last flown to Valley for the fire dump on the 24/03/1982, as maintainance airframe number 8745M. She finally perished during 08/1993. Prince Charles flew this bird as well!! There are some pictures of her on the dump that I have seen. Her cockpit was badly burned but the rest of her wasn't by the time she was finally put out of her misery.
    "Good work Raymondo, I'm bumping you back up to DS, only this time make sure it stands for Detective Seargent and not Dog Sh*t..."

Thanks for clarifying some of the info, I wonder if any board users have any pictures of vulcans at valley? I hear they were based here for a short while?
    They were never based there but were regular visitors there during dispersals and other exercises.
    "Good work Raymondo, I'm bumping you back up to DS, only this time make sure it stands for Detective Seargent and not Dog Sh*t..."

Thanks

That's an amazing photo, any more details ?

Might only be a 1960's plane, but in the future who knows. I guess Westlands said the same thing about the last Whirlwind.

Oh no not ~another~ separate thread about Newark (the unfriendly museum) !

Quote Originally Posted by XM692 View Post
    That's an amazing photo, any more details ?
    Assuming it is ex-RAF and the main gear is still attatched (to something)...

...my guess would be that it is (was) an Andover.....anybody else?
    WA$.

Possibly a twin pioneer?

Was thinking something from the Percival stable but u/c looks too far apart.

Jon
    Hooton Park
    https://www.facebook.com/hootonpark

email - jonhoward23(at)hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon H View Post
    Possibly a twin pioneer?

Was thinking something from the Percival stable but u/c looks too far apart.

Jon
    a twin pin would make sense looking at the UC, two wheels on each leg with a wide very wide track, interesting to see how the pilot managed to park her up in that position, perfecting the groud version of recovery from unusual attitudes?

Quote Originally Posted by Nashio966 View Post
    a twin pin would make sense looking at the UC, two wheels on each leg with a wide very wide track, interesting to see how the pilot managed to park her up in that position, perfecting the groud version of recovery from unusual attitudes?
    Late on the round-out again, Hoskins?

Adrian
    "Snow clearing equipment has been found under snowdrift" - message sent from RNAS Hatston, Orkney, 1944.

Wreckage at Valley

I remember the wheels sticking out of the dunes by the fire dump (on the sea-side of the base) from some years back and ascertained that the aircraft was (had been) a Varsity.
    There were no engines present on what was left of the firewalls so presumably was a fire practice victim bulldozed into the dunes.
    I would think Wrecks and Relics could provide the answer.
    Further into the middle of the airfield there is some rough ground, near to the firing butts where the JP sat for many years and I remember loads of buried aircraft stuff there, with u/c legs poking up here and there.
    That access was during an airshow at the base about 15 years ago so the area would not normally be accessible to the casual walker.

Anon.

I'd say it is one of the three Varsity T.1's to end their days on the dump at Valley - WL689 WL670 or that last one being WJ943.

Quote Originally Posted by Anon View Post
    I remember the wheels sticking out of the dunes by the fire dump...and ascertained that the aircraft was (had been) a Varsity.
    I thought possibly Valetta / Varsity but assumed single main wheels on both...

...always forget the Varsity has tricycle undercarriage.....damn!
    WA$.

Hi oddly enough I was chatting to a guy in work about the a/c this evening. I remember it was identified as a Varsity some time back, they were based there in 1969?

A couple of more pics;

Anon, I will have an investigation round some of the rough ground on the airfield to see if I can find anything else busied

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by XL391 View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

The Vulcan in question was B2 XL392, first delivered to the RAF on 01/08/1962, with Olympus 200 series engines. She was last flown to Valley for the fire dump on the 24/03/1982, as maintainance airframe number 8745M. She finally perished during 08/1993. Prince Charles flew this bird as well!! There are some pictures of her on the dump that I have seen. Her cockpit was badly burned but the rest of her wasn't by the time she was finally put out of her misery.
    Shame
    http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---...Vulcan/0911727

Sorry to dp, found a varsity at valley.. could be?
    http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---...ity/0218199/M/

I was based at Valley from early '84 to late '87, and sadly the vulcan deteriated quite quickly. this photo was taken in about 1985, and as yo can see the nose has been burnt.
    Sat near it was a shackleton (i don't have the number, but it should be easy to find as i believe it used to be the gate guard)

Also in the dunes there should be the remains of a Hawk (XX180 from memory), this aircraft crashed after hitting birds whilst doing rollers at nearby Mona, after the board of enquiry the remains were dumped over in the dunes.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodnok View Post
    Sat near it was a shackleton (i don't have the number, but it should be easy to find as i believe it used to be the gate guard)
    Thats easy, WL754! The sad thing is that it was flown to Valley in '81 for the fire dump but was then saved and preserved by station personel, only for it to end up being used for fire training.
    Interesting shots BTW, especially the Varsity U/C poking up through the dunes, unusual to hear of aircraft dumped in such a way in more recent times.
    Last edited by pagen01; 10th April 2008 at 19:17.

Good pics thanks! Shame though but I guess thats progress! Why was the vulcan dumped, high hours or just end of its life? I know the Hawks keep getting estended, some of them have some fantastic hours on them, over 8000 on one, XX178 I think. All the dump has been cleaned up, nothing left now, I think the tail off 180 is in the boiler room near one of the hangars, I'll have a look next week.

I hear that the hunter gate guard is to be put up for disposal soon, it'll be a shame for it to end up as scrap, any idea on what the raf usually do with old gate guards? Would b better in a museum surely!

Paul

...... Why was the vulcan dumped, high hours or just end of its life? .......Paul
    Paul, 1981 - the Vulcans were all due to be retired and a number were allocated to Museums but then the Argentinians invaded the Falkland Islands.

Roger Smith.
    A Blenheim, Beaufighter and Beaufort - together in one Museum. Who'd have thought that possible in 1967?

Good pics thanks! Shame though but I guess thats progress! Why was the vulcan dumped, high hours or just end of its life? I know the Hawks keep getting estended, some of them have some fantastic hours on them, over 8000 on one, XX178 I think. All the dump has been cleaned up, nothing left now, I think the tail off 180 is in the boiler room near one of the hangars, I'll have a look next week.

I hear that the hunter gate guard is to be put up for disposal soon, it'll be a shame for it to end up as scrap, any idea on what the raf usually do with old gate guards? Would b better in a museum surely!

Paul
    I still have the RAT Acc panel off the aft fuse of 180..... give it twenty or thirty years and they'll be useful for a restoration!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodnok View Post
    I still have the RAT Acc panel off the aft fuse of 180..... give it twenty or thirty years and they'll be useful for a restoration!

I may have a few bits and bobs waiting for their day

I did have my eye on an old fuse from xx196, the crasher from last may at mona, but it seems to have vanished from where it was Saying that, the bent remains are still in the hangar somewhere, no doubt they will become available to the ground training school at somepoint.

I'm still intrigued about this rough ground in the middle of the airfield, I have told a friend and I think we are going to have a scan round next time we have a no flying day, be interesting to see what we can find

Well, I didnt try the rough ground but I did find a few interesting parts....

I think I have found a few bits off the vulcan that was dumped, seems to be in the same area and of the right vintage. Could do with a more positive Id though. Have a MOD plate with some numbers on, any use for finding out the tail no?

Cheers!

Probably won't help all that much with identifying the actual tail number, but if you post it up, I'll try to help with the identification.

Vulcan part numbers begin with a 26DC prefix, so that may be a start.

Cheers,

Flipflopman

Bassett XS783 crashed on take off at Valley 5/7/73 killing a famous RAFGSA glider pilot Pete Lane. The remains went to RAF Wyton. As I understand the aircraft had been mistakenly filled with jet fuel and suffered engine failure after take off.
    Fly with the eagles,or scratch with the chickens.

Varsities WL670/P and WJ943/R ended up on the Valley dump in the eighties.

Quote Originally Posted by T-21 View Post
    Varsities WL670/P and WJ943/R ended up on the Valley dump in the eighties.
    They weren't there when i got there in early '84.

They were sent there after the Varsity was retired from inventory in 1974 so yes they would have been disposed by 1984. WL670/P ,5 FTS, SOC 19.9.74 sent to Valley for fire practice. WJ943/R, 6FTS, Sent to Valley 4.76.

Quote Originally Posted by XL391 View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

I can add to this that XL392 was flown there from Scampton, where I was one of those who prepared several Vulcans for their last flight (e.g. one went to Catterick with a very short landing, and another to Winthorpe, plus the one that was dismantled for the RAF Museum).

Notice the date - the Falklands started without warning a week later - we had authority to scrap another aircraft (possibly XJ782 from memory?) on 1 April, and we nearly started it a week early but thought we shouldn't...!

In answer to another post, they were at the end of their service lives and their roles were being taken over by Tornado (at last), and it was only the Falklands that meant they saw action for the only time plus the development of the airborne tanker version.

Thread Information