Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Campbell's Bluebird (and Fairey Barracuda, too!

I don't actually have a link for it- just seen a scan of the paper itself. Anything you can do to keep things clear for everyone would be much appreciated though, thanks.

For Immediate Release
    Campbell’s Family Fury at Impostor

For ten years the quiet village of Coniston in the English Lake District has awaited the return of its legacy – the iconic, Bluebird K7 speedboat of which speed king, Donald Campbell CBE lost his life in on January 4, 1967 whilst making a bid to raise the speed record to over 300 miles per hour (480 km/h) on Coniston Waters.
    The wreckage of Campbell's craft was recovered by the Bluebird Project between October 2000, when the first sections were raised, and May 2001, when Campbell's body was subsequently recovered. As of 2008, K7 has been undergoing painstaking restoration, to a very high standard of working condition in North Shields, Tyne and Wear, using a very high proportion of her original fabric, but with a new engine of the same type albeit incorporating many original components.

In 2009 permission was granted for a one off set of proving trials of Bluebird on Coniston Water, where she will be tested to a safe speed for demonstration purposes only. It is hoped that the restoration of Bluebird K7 will be completed in 2012 when she will return to Coniston, in a dignified ceremony with the full support of Donald’s family, who have fought continuously to protect the Bluebird legacy. K7 will then reside permanently at the Ruskin Museum, Coniston, where she will be on display to the general public in memory of one of the world's most prolific land and water speed record breakers.

The Campbell family have been outraged this week with the arrival at Coniston of a look-alike dubbed, K777. Without any consultation or respect to either Donald's family or the Norris brothers’ families, designers of Donald’s K7 boat, the vessel was shamelessly installed on the very same slipway from which Donald left and never returned in January 1967.

Spokesperson for the family, Don Wales Grandson of Sir Malcolm Campbell and Nephew of Donald Campbell said “we feel that it is disrespectful to Donald, and that those responsible are clearly out to bolster their credibility as a publicity stunt by alluding to the connection with the real Bluebird – a connection that neither exists nor is wanted. Their claim that valuable data collected on the behaviour of the craft will benefit the genuine machine is total nonsense the Campbell family do not support or condone the building or operation of the vessel named K777 or any perceived association of it with the Campbell/Bluebird story.”

Spokesperson for the Bluebird Project, Bill Smith said, “To be so disrespectful to the Campbell family and willing to cause confusion amongst the general public for the sake of self-aggrandizement truly beggars belief – it leaves me speechless!”

Don Wales is available for interview, for further information please contact:
    Media Relations:
    Rebecca Nicholls
    Telephone: 01452 260063, Ext: 450
    Mobile: 07749 852481
    Bill Smith is available for interview, for further information please contact:
    Bluebird Project Leader:
    www.BluebirdProject.com
    Telephone: 0191 2580611
    Mobile: 07721-524371

Is this not the replica from Across The Lake? When I last visited Holker Hall about 8 yrs ago the owner told me he fully intended getting the replica running on the lake again.

Don't think it's that one - sounds like a new build - picture on link below.
    Doesn't look exactly like a faithful reproduction....

http://www.cumbriacrack.com/2011/10/...7-is-launched/

No, this is entirely new build.

Donald Campbell's car

Whilst slightly (only just) off topic, here's a piccy of my dad climbing out of the cockpit. For those of you who can lip read, you'll know how impressed he was with the inside . . .

Campbell's Bluebird

The "fake" Bluebird has sunk! See Here: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...s-in-lake.html

Bluebird replica sinks in lake

A REPLICA of Donald Campbell's Bluebird came a cropper on its first voyage yesterday. Lookalike K777 was towed to safety after it started sinking on Coniston Water.

Campbell died when his Bluebird K7 flipped over on the Cumbrian lake in 1967 while trying to break the water speed record.

But Campbell's family are furious K777 took part in Coniston Power Boat Records Week.

His nephew Don Wales said: "It's a shameless publicity stunt and disrespectful to Donald."

Jim Noone, K777's pilot, said: "It's meant as a tribute".

Hi everyone, just bringing this thread back up as we're still looking for a Rotax air start turbine part No. CT0801, and we'd also be interested in a spare Folland Gnat pitot head too- thanks!

Watched a documentary on Discovery channel (I think!) last night about Donald Campbell. The part which covered his land speed record attempts in Australia included an interview where he was explaining the reasons for delay etc. The interviewer looked like a young Dave Allen (as in the comedian) - could this have been so? (I know that DA had his own chat show for a while) ... I should have watched more closely...
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by D1566 View Post
    Watched a documentary on Discovery channel (I think!) last night about Donald Campbell. The part which covered his land speed record attempts in Australia included an interview where he was explaining the reasons for delay etc. The interviewer looked like a young Dave Allen (as in the comedian) - could this have been so? (I know that DA had his own chat show for a while) ... I should have watched more closely...
    More than possible...from wikipeadia..

While on tour in Australia in 1963, he quickly proved successful and accepted an offer to headline a television talk show with Channel 9, Tonight with Dave Allen, which was very popular. However, only six months after his television début he was banned from the Australian airwaves when, during a live broadcast, he told his show's producer — who had been pressing him to go to a commercial break — to "go away and masturbate" so that he could continue an entertaining interview with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore. The ban was dropped quietly when Allen's popularity continued unabated.
    If we had no rules where would we be? France! If we had too many rules where would we be? Germany!

Sounds quite possible, must look out next time the program is repeated. Thanks.
    Martin

Been thru all the discovery docs for the next week & didnt find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Been thru all the discovery docs for the next week & didnt find it.
    Sorry am advised it was on History, 'Curse of Campbell' May be different scheduling down here in Africa?
    Martin

Hi everyone,

We're looking for a source of OBA captive/anchor nuts, of which we need quite a few- can anyone help? Cheers!

Are you sure they arent 1/4 BSF - they are very, very close!

Bruce

If 1/4 BSF may be able to help. How many do you need?

Ha, I was just coming on here to say that yes, we goofed, they are actually 1/4" BSF and we need about 300 of them! (They run all the way down both sides of the boat in two rows, and are used elsewhere also)

The latest diary update is on the website too (or "dairy" update, as the email would have it). Check out the fantastically noisy video.... the old girl's really starting to come back to life.

I honestly cannot believe what your team team has achieved, Mike: - and the pains you take to keep originality. It's truly awe-inspiring.

they are actually 1/4" BSF
    Can you post a decent photo of one please as there are several different types of 1/4" BSF anchor nut?
    jumble 'til I crumble!

Will do, bear with me- will get one tomorrow.

Thanks Mahone for your kind words.

Pics of the 1/4" BSF bits we are after as promised-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01a.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	203750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02a.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	203751  

I know people like the more overall type of progress shot, and here's a bang up to date one appearing currently as our 'picture of the day'-
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Any luck with the fasteners anyone..?

A little bit of an old thread bump here just to say that we've updated the look of the Bluebird Project website. The address is the same, just follow the link in my signature.

Barra coming along nicely too...
    "If the C.O. ask's you to be Tail End Charlie...just shoot him!!!....A Piece of Cake.
    http://spitfirea58-27.blogspot.com.au/

For those following this project, the Bluebird rebuild diary has been updated

More great work, gentlemen

There must be a hint of daylight at the end of the tunnel now
    jeepman

Thanks for the mention, jeepman!

We've always had light at the end of the tunnel- but have never been shy in admitting that it's a loooonnng tunnel, too! She'll be done when she's done and she'll be right, and will then hopefully outlive all us by some considerable margin...

Thread Information