Register Free

Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1527

Thread: Victor XL231 And Nimrod XV250 Work Diary

Well full credit for the update goes to you then Blue2
    Cheers,Peter
    "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"
    http://lancasterfm159.freeservers.com/

Right folks about this coming Sunday at YAM.

I preparation for the upcoming on site Thunder day on the 1st April The guys at Elvington are hoping to be ground running several aircraft this Sunday. Included in this list is

First run of the restored Devon

First run of the restored Se5a

The Buccaneer. :diablo:

Now I must state that none of the above are definitely down to run, its all down to serviceability etc however the guys are working incredibly hard to ensure these aircraft are ready and we are hopeful that all will run but there are no guarantees ok?

Be a good day if it happens though Nimrod & Victor Groundcrew will be mooching about trading verbal insults as usual

Go on, you know it makes sense
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Thumbs up

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just a wee bump in case anyone Tup Norf is at a loose end today and fancies some fresh air?

Well fresh air mixed with burnt aviation fuel that is :diablo::diablo::diablo::diablo:
    Last edited by Nimrod Mate; 18th March 2012 at 07:31. Reason: Biff spelling as usual

Well as described in an earlier thread both Lindy & Kim took a back seat as some of the museum's other runners spent the day going through their paces. First up was the Buccaneer followed swiftly by the Se5a. Late in the afternoon the Bucc and SE5a was run again, I honestly don't know what their serviceability states are at this time. I am sure blue 2 will be along in bit with further gen.

A cracking day and great to hear some engines going through their paces.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Nimrod Mate; 19th March 2012 at 15:50.

As NM said, it was a day for us to enjoy and assist with some of the museum's other exhibits, and for the big jets to stay quiet. It made a nice change to be honest.
    The day began with a hangar shuffle, and chance to se 2 of DH's finest outdoors

The Mossie enjoyed the intermittent morning sunshine

For a short time only, the Mirage wears FAI markings on it's port side. Nice to see the opposition recognised in the Falklands anniversary year...

Phil Mann gave the Bucc some exercise, after the fire crew had had a look-see

After which the SE5 replica was wheeled out

And made it's debut public engine run, under the watchful eye of George Astley

It looked and sounded lovely.
    On my way to lunch I got some general shots, an old HP design

(come on, she couldn't not feature in a post of mine!)
    and an even older HP

Mossie retro

Devon

After lunch, Steve Pepper gave the Bucc another exercise session

Finally, the Mossie basking in the late afternoon sun

Back to Lindy-related matters next week
    Victor XL231 Blog- http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/
    Home of the V-force on the web: http://twittervforce.com/

IMG_0734

Not as good as Blue2's but hey ho. Some Spey action first up

IMG_0753

IMG_0749

Followed by some stick and String power

Se5a First EGR
    Last edited by Nimrod Mate; 19th March 2012 at 17:31.

Good reports lads. Never knew the Bucc up there was still that capable .
    Wyvern & Sturgeon parts projects
    Bassingbourn Tower Museum Volunteer

Email wyvernfan@gmail.com

Dropped in to Elvington yesterday as we found ourselves 3 miles away picking up a car and it would have been rude not to have visited (350 mile round trip!). Good weather makes any museum visit that bit better but watching the Buccaneer ground runs rather made my day - and it was me who had bought the car!

What has ruined today however is learning that we left without realising the SE5 was about to be run - aaargh!

Had a good blether with a very nice lady working on the Mosquito - didn't get her name (pillock), but refreshing to hear such enthusiasm for actually working on aircraft from a lady for a change - she needs to have a chat with my fiance....

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod Mate View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just a wee bump in case anyone Tup Norf is at a loose end today and fancies some fresh air?

Well fresh air mixed with burnt aviation fuel that is :diablo::diablo::diablo::diablo:
    ohh you do know how to tempt me
    Project Oblivion-Coming Soon

At The Going Down Of The Sun
    And In The Morning
    WE WILL REMEMBER THEM!!

R.I.P

The Halifax looks great with some sunlight on her

Can anybody provide details of running times for this Sundays "Thunder Day".
    Thanks.

As soon as we have them you will have them CADman!

Please note folks, this Sunday's (April 1) Thunder Day is a non-taxying event, however it is hoped 4 or 5 of the resident aircraft, both props and jets, will be running their engines. Should be a very good day, specially if this weather holds out. I know there'll be disappointment that we're not actually moving the aircraft but please bear in mind, you can get much closer to the live running aircraft at an event like Sunday's than you would if we were taxying .
    I'll leave it to the good people of this parish to speculate exactly which aircraft will be running on the day though! :diablo:

I've now seen a provisional order of play, and it's proposed to run the Se5 just before lunch, with the rest of the participants' demonstrations commencing 1345.

Smile

Hi Folks.

This coming Sunday at Elvington, Engine running day with historic live jets and propeller aircraft also vehicles on display.

Engine runs by the following, in no particular order
    DH Devon

Se5a

Buccaneer

Nimrod

Victor crew now available due to some people driving many miles on Sunday to take part

Also demonstrations by Yam’s own fire section including letting the kids (big & small) have a go

Not a bad day out so come along and enjoy the day with us all at Elvington.
    Last edited by Nimrod Mate; 30th March 2012 at 06:55. Reason: Victor now available :-) :-)

Heres a burning question I have had for awhile.. whats with the stbd underside wing on the Bucc with that streak of paint missing or something?
    Cheers,Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Heres a burning question I have had for awhile.. whats with the stbd underside wing on the Bucc with that streak of paint missing or something?
    Often wondered that myself Peter. I will ask her owner tomorrow for the answer.

I think it is just very weathered grey
    Magister Aviation
    www.fougamagister.be

Smile

Due to a lot of Jiggery Pokery by some peeps who are driving many miles this weekend,

Victor Lusty Lindy will be running her engines

Cue the inevitable "We made more noise and thrust than you competition" :diablo::diablo::diablo::diablo::diablo:

A great Thunder day just got a whole lot better

Unless the Nimrod lads have retrofitted some more powerful engines it's not going to be much of a competition...:diablo:

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_2 View Post
    Unless the Nimrod lads have retrofitted some more powerful engines it's not going to be much of a competition...:diablo:
    Wait and see old chap

Morale at its best

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod Mate View Post
    Due to a lot of Jiggery Pokery by some peeps who are driving many miles this weekend,

Victor Lusty Lindy will be running her engines

Cue the inevitable "We made more noise and thrust than you competition" :diablo::diablo::diablo::diablo::diablo:

A great Thunder day just got a whole lot better
    hey if blue wants to pick me up and drop me off il come help make noise

good luck to all this weekend
    Project Oblivion-Coming Soon

At The Going Down Of The Sun
    And In The Morning
    WE WILL REMEMBER THEM!!

R.I.P

Had a quick drive past earlier, and caught them both having a bask in the sun

I have to work 1 saturday in every 4, having managed to evade the last couple I've been lumbered with having to work this one, so won't be travelling to the Noisefest.

So please lots of pics and video

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Marlee View Post
    hey if blue wants to pick me up and drop me off il come help make noise
    You couldn't afford my taxi fees mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Portagee View Post
    I have to work 1 saturday in every 4, having managed to evade the last couple I've been lumbered with having to work this one, so won't be travelling to the Noisefest.

So please lots of pics and video
    Unlucky mate. We'll publicise the next one well in advance so you can plan a bombproof skive plan!

Quote Originally Posted by j_jza80 View Post
    Had a quick drive past earlier, and caught them both having a bask in the sun
    Nice shots, cheers for that! They were out on the airfield to let the puddle jumpers out of the hangar and onto their pan for the summer. A louder, more active visit to the airfield is what we're all hoping for...

Well yesterday's weather played ball, and we had a very pleasing turnout for the Thunder Day at YAM. The SE5 started proceedings, however I missed it as I was busy with Lindy. The Buccaneer was due to run next, however the stad went u/s so unfortunately it couldn't be started, a real shame. However the Nimrod stepped in to the gap with a quick APU run before lunch.
    After the lunch break it was the Nimrod's turn to run properly, I'll let NM explain what went on however as we were busy prepping Lindy for her turn.
    We tried something different this time; you'll see from previous photos on here that Lindy and the Nimrod are usually parked (and run) nose to nose. However this time we had Lindy angled with her nose pointed at the control tower, which most people said was a nice change and meant head on views are possible for the first time since the Nimrod arrived. Whether or not this becomes a permanent arrangement for engine running days remains to be seen; I certainly hope so.
    The appointed hour came, and we crewed in. Andre and Ollie were up front, with Rick making a very welcome return to the AEO's seat (good to have you back mate!) and I perched on the 6th seat to watch proceedings.

The Artouste was used due to the stad going u/s, but it lit fine. All the engines were dry spun, then the hydraulics were exercised while the starters cooled. Here Ollie gives the PFCU's a workout

Then it was time to light the Conways. The starter change on no.1 a couple of weeks ago has really made a difference to it's starting, there's no more smoke and reluctance to wind up any more.
    All 4 started really nicely

After a few minutes to settle, all 4 engines were run up to 60% together, then individually taken up to 65-70%. Another run of all 4 up to 60% then it was shutdown time sadly.
    The run only revealed a couple of very minor electrical faults, however the Starboard RAT scoop problems have reared their ugly head again as the little b***er has taken to sticking again. So guess what I'll be doing next Sunday then...

After we'd run the recently restored Devon ran it's engines. Here, the Port engine makes a touch of smoke on start up.

This little machine really is a credit to both the YAM team who've worked so hard to reassemble her, and the guys at Redhill who saved her in the first place.
    There was one other matter of importance to attend to yesterday too, marking the birthday of Phil, AKA Baldrick. And there's only one way to celebrate such an event. It involves a friendly fire crew, and much H2O...

The aftermath

Then decided that those who had plotted this should share in the feeling of general dampness...

All in all a great day, and the long awaited return of morale to YAM.

Looks like a great day and good to hear Lindy behaved herself!
    Cheers,Peter

Talking

As the Smurf one said above what a grand day it was.

Initially thrown by clear sunny weather instead of the usual Yorkshire ‘sunshine’ everyone cracked on and started to get Kim ready. As the jet was being run by our dedicated ‘aircrew’ it was decided that the debris running guards over the intakes would be the order of the day, everything was being readied when the Se5a started the show, what a grand sight it was, looked even better seeing as it was parked on the grass right next to the public.

Next up was the Buccaneer who failed to run last year when the old stad caught fire. To prevent a repeat this year a new Stad was purchased by the museum. Yup you guessed it, come the Buccaneers moment the new Stad went belly up, we were absolutely gutted for the Bucc guys after all their recent hard work and efforts it was crushing for them. Despite much swapping of components and haranguing of the team electrician it was all to no avail so the Buccaneer bit the dust. It was at this stage that it was suggested that one of our number should saunter across to the assembled Bucc guys give them a big fuse and say “do you want this back, April fool” for some strange reason there was no takers in this jolly jape.

Due to being Bucc less we were asked to start up our APU and dry crank our no3 ECU (couldn’t do a full engine start at this stage due to the close proximity of the Se5a)

Post lunch it was our turn, all went to plan and all 4 Spey’s started sweetly and without a hitch, all flying controls were exercised (which also dissuades our feathered friends from taking residence), A leak check was required in the no2 engine bay so the door was popped and all checks carried out satis. Then all four engines were throttled up one at a time and the no2 was taken up so it’s engine bleed straps closed, cue much smoke and roaring and big grins from the team.

Post shut down Lindy took over and everyone was grinning, please that the old trout could join in with the rest of us. After this we both the Victor & Nimrod bods wandered across to watch the Devon. A very pleasing sight to have both propeller and jet engines running all in one day, not sure what the final score was given to the Devon as both teams appeared with score cards, but I am sure the Devon bods were pleased with the welcome they got for everyone. It’s all one big team at Yam with one goal in common, happy running aeroplanes, a passion for what we do and a chance to talk to anyone that will listen to our boring waffle.

Many many thanks to the over 1000 people that turned out to watch us yesterday, we really do appreciate you coming to see the events at Yam and being so interested in out Aircraft.

Oh and Happy Birthday Baldrik, glad your wife got her comeuppance as well

8/4/12 Update
    Sunday saw 4 of us assemble for some odd jobs on Lindy, others couldn't be pried away from their chocolate eggs apparently!
    When I arrived Andre and Rick were busy trying to recharge the NBS systems with nitrogen. This was soon done, and attention turned to the minor issues raised by the engine runs he previous week. While Andre and John got busy with the spurious overspeed light issue I attacked the RAT scoop, with a certain feeling of dread. The starboard scoop caused us all manners of headaches a couple of years ago, a recurrence of which would definitely have darkened our day. We'd found last week that, while the scoop was happy to close it was reluctant to re-open. I'd found some spilt paint dried on the side of where the scoop retracts and thought this may be where the scoop's new seal was fouling so I got busy with the wire brush. Things seemed happier after this but still not quite right, so out with the lubricant again and the seal got another liberal coating. I gave the seal inside the scoop a good dousing too, and this seemed to do the trick as the scoop now operates perfectly (cue sighs of relief from the whole team). Sorry I've no pics of any of the above operation but it was a bit breezy up on top of the jet and I wasn't risking my camera taking the direct route to the floor...
    After this activity Andre decided to investigate the non-functioning oil pressure light on no.3 engine. It should light when there's no oil pressure, however last week it refused to light up. We knew it wasn't the bulb so the next obvious check was the pressure switch. Andre removed and overhauled the switch, and we now have the full set of oil lights working once more.
    Do you remember I mentioned we'd put Lindy at a different (and more pleasing) angle? here's what I meant.

And finally... living in the remote wilds of halfway along the airfield, we have had to resort to novel methods to ensure regular deliveries of quality real ale...

Landed outside the kitchen window Saturday evening!
    More next week folks

Happy 2nd anniversary to Kim. Landed at Elvington 2 years ago today
    Victor K2 real combat jets have ejector seats!

Blimey that went quickly Ian.! when is the next Thunder run?
    never eat a toffee crisp before doing areobatics in a chipmunk.

15/04/12 update

Firstly I must share Rich's video of Lindy running her engines a couple of weeks ago. As Rich said the sound quality's not great but you can hear the engines being throttled up and back if you listen carefully:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qmk8...kwRP78W6OeMVc=

We got in good and early on Sunday, I got some shots of most of the hangars' inmates being moved out to make room for some function this week apparently, see my other thread. I did get Lindy basking in the morning sun too though!

We opened up the jet and went up top to make sure my repairs to the RAT scoop the previous week had been successful. I'm pleased to report they did, that seems to be that problem put to bed for good and all.
    I had to retire early due to a double footwear malfunction (Basically my boots fell apart, twice!) but Rich tells me that the afternoon was fruitful, with tyres checked and inflated as necessary, and maxaret tracks given a good clean. There was also a very spirited flying visit by an RAF SAR Sea King, always nice to see!
    And I've a nice messy job to look forward to next week...
    Last edited by Blue_2; 16th April 2012 at 10:47. Reason: spelling...

Thread Information