Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Short Seaplane

Short Seaplane

Had a visit to FAA Museam at Yeovilton. They have a really nice Short Seaplane that spotted the German fleet at Jutland. Apparently it survived intact in storage at the science museam until WWII when the Jerries had anothewr crack at it and pretty much destroyed it. What a fantastic relic, strange place to put the radiator though, I suppose it kept the pilot and navigator warm though. As a UK tax payer I signed the form when i bought my ticket so they can claim some tax back, in return they gave me a free ticket valid for 12 months. BARGAIN. Its a superb museam well worth a visit.
    Last edited by Graham Adlam; 11th September 2008 at 13:45.
    when you have excluded the impossible whatever remains however improbable must be the truth
    Baz owns the second best Spitfire Replica in the World.

It raises the inevitable question:

"Should this artefact be left as it is or (assuming funds were available) be restored and fitted with replica wings, rear fuselage, tail surfaces and undercarraige?"

Roger Smith
    A Blenheim, Beaufighter and Beaufort - together in one Museum. Who'd have thought that possible in 1967?

Quote Originally Posted by RPSmith View Post
    It raises the inevitable question:

"Should this artefact be left as it is or (assuming funds were available) be restored and fitted with replica wings, rear fuselage, tail surfaces and undercarraige?"

Roger Smith
    Indeed. Interestingly there were plans in the 60s to restore it. CH Barnes noted that "a recent survey of the remains has indicated that it can be restored to a state fit for exhibition once more and in 1966 preparations were being made to this end" in Shorts Aircraft since 1900

It is a remarkably original artefact even as it is. Not only is it the oldest surviving Westland built aircraft but the earliest (by some years) survivor of the Short Brothers designs. Considering their pioneering designs from 1909 right through to WWII, it is very sad that so little has survived. It shows the difficulty of preserving maritime aircraft I suppose.

If there are drawings etc surviving that would allow wings and a tail to be made, then I'd rather see a full replica on display alongside this original.

Allan
    "Writing is easy - all you have to do is stare at a blank piece of paper until your forehead bleeds." - Douglas Adams

There is a very nice photograph on page 7 of the Putnam's "Westland Aircraft since 1915" by Derek N James showing a Westland-built Short 184 and the engine arrangement, completely blocking the pilot's forward view. Fascinating.
    "Aviation is a useless and expensive fad advocated by a few individuals whose ideas are unworthy of attention."
    Chief of the Imperial General Staff, Sir W. G. Nicholson

I remember years ago they where trying to find drawings to restore 184 -225 into a complete airframe. I never heard if they found any plans.

Not quite on subject, I know, but if you visit Bletchley Park museum (Enigma and all that) your ticket lasts for a whole year.

This is a fascinating place to visit - and they do have an old Sea Harrier and a cockpit section (Sea Vixen, I think) parked around the back. It's definitely worth more than one visit.

The museum complex is only a short walk from Bletchley station (out from Euston).

Bri
    Manners maketh man; ill manners maketh moron.

If you stand behind the fuselage in line with it and look forward you can actually look right through the vanes of the radiator, not much of a view though. The fuselage is very brittle and I had to move it in 2006 to lay a new floor covering in the gallery so great care was taken with the move. Eventually its hoped to include the fuselage in a exhibition on 'One Hundred Years of Naval Aviation' which we aim to put together for 2009.

Thread Information