Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Short Sunderland RN288

Short Sunderland RN288

Can anyone elaborate on the crash of this Sunderland on 4 June 1955 in the vicinity of Eastbourne, East Sussex? Various websites refer to the crash but say no more than that it occured with the loss of 4 lives from the crew of 14. I am sure that there will be forum members with access to sources of information, concerning the crash of this aeroplane, that I do not have.

Photo and story from a survivor here.

http://eastbournernli.org.uk/SunderlandAirCrash.html
    http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 10.8 times!

A curious (and regretable) thing about this crash is the way it has been overlooked in most histories of the Sunderland. It doesn't get listed in the Sunderland Crash log and I haven't seen photos of it or a description in the major Sunderland books.

Thanks to Newforest for finding that website.

Allan
    "Writing is easy - all you have to do is stare at a blank piece of paper until your forehead bleeds." - Douglas Adams

201 Squadron Sunderland RN288 crashed while landing on the sea 1 mile from Eastbourne Pier at 9.30am on Sat 4th June 1955 on a good-will mission to the RAFA Conference being held in the town, attended by the Duke of Edinburgh.

Killed: Flt Lt T R Gush, Pilot, Haselmere, Surrey
    F/O A E Doran, 2nd Navigator, Egremont, Cumberland
    T Body, Master Engineer, Hull
    LAC J K Rothwell, Peacehaven, Sussex
    (2 were drowned and 2 died as a result of multiple injuries)

Survivors: Flt Lt D F Taylor, Burton, Beds. Seriously injured
    F/Sgt G Doherty, Donegal Seriously injured
    Sgt J C Benn, Christchurch Injured
    F/Sgt E Webb, Fulham Injured
    SAC J P Lynch, Acton Injured
    SAC J Doyle, Holloway Injured
    F/O M J Owttrim, Birmingham
    Sgt G G Bovis, Fareham, Hants.
    Sgt H Cottrell, Newcastle-under-Lyme.
    Also on board and injured was a Norwegian officer serving with NATO.

Above info from the Eastbourne Gazette, 8.6.55. The article includes two photos, one of the aircraft half-submerged and the other of the stern half of the wreckage on the beach.
    I understand that 4 of the knobs from levers in the cockpit are now on display at the Redoubt Fortress in Eastbourne.

I have the 1 min. British Pathe preview newsreel covering this story.

Thanks for the additional information and welcome to the Forum!
    http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 10.8 times!

Indeed thanks for that info. And a welcome to the forum - you can't have too many Sunderland nuts.

I'd just found a copy of The Guardian's article (6th June 1955) in my Sunderland file which lists those killed but doesn't list the survivors or indeed add any more to story than above other than that the Duke of Edinburgh had sent a message of sympathy to the next of kin.

Allan
    Last edited by Pondskater; 21st January 2008 at 21:49.
    "Writing is easy - all you have to do is stare at a blank piece of paper until your forehead bleeds." - Douglas Adams

Here is a photo of RN288 in happier times, from John Evans' "The Sunderland Flying Boat Queen" Vol.2

Quote Originally Posted by avion ancien View Post
    Can anyone elaborate on the crash of this Sunderland on 4 June 1955 in the vicinity of Eastbourne, East Sussex? Various websites refer to the crash but say no more than that it occured with the loss of 4 lives from the crew of 14. I am sure that there will be forum members with access to sources of information, concerning the crash of this aeroplane, that I do not have.
    Yes I was working on the new M&S store at the time and stood on the beach
    and watched the whole thing. if you send your e mail address i will send a full report. my e mail p.weldon1@ntlworld.com

Colin Cummings in Category Five records that whilst landing in heavy swell the aircraft bounced and then dived into the sea. He further reports that Master Engineer Boddy (37 at the time of his death) had been awarded the DFM in June 1943 whilst serving as a Sergeant with 7 (Pathfinder) Squadron.

Regards,

kev35
    The Forums only '"blithering anorak" as endorsed by ZRX61

Here's a link to the Pathe News film:

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/tr...ery/eastbourne

Cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by P.Weldon View Post
    Yes I was working on the new M&S store at the time and stood on the beach
    and watched the whole thing. if you send your e mail address i will send a full report. my e mail p.weldon1@ntlworld.com
    Thank you and welcome, P.Weldon. It's nice to see this thread revived after so long. I'll send you an e-mail as requested.

The DFM awarded to Thomas Ingham Boddy appears to have been an end of tour award with the Captain of the aircraft, F/O Lewis, being awarded the DFC at the same time.

Sgt. Boddy (53474) was promoted to Pilot Officer 3/10/43 and given the new Service Number of 544755. Promotion to Flying Officer followed on 3/4/199 and to Flight Lieutenant on 3/10/1945.

Regards,

kev35
    The Forums only '"blithering anorak" as endorsed by ZRX61

My Grandad was Thomas Ingham Boddy who was killed in the accident. If anyone could help me gather any information on him or point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Thanks

Welcome, rboddy1980. I suspect that you'll find that there are a number of very knowledgeable people on this forum who will be able to provide you with useful and potentially fruitful pointers to assist you in tracing, or maybe even providing, more information about the service career of your grandfather. I regret to say that I am not one of those.

I am the daughter of the pilot, Tim Gush, of the short Sunderland that crashed at Eastbourne on 04.06.1955
    I have little information regarding the crash, other than assumptions, and would like to know if an inquiry was held as to why the plane crashed and their findings. The only official finding I have is that it was not pilot error. If anyone has any info regarding this crash I would be very interested I would like to piece together why the crash happened and answer the questions I have always had. If anyone has an idea where I can get information I would appreciate the help. Thank You

Hi I have some information that you may not have as my father was the pilot. I am also trying to find answers to why the plane crashed was it the rivets as was suspects. I am trying to find out if there was a crash investigation by the RAF Contact me if you think I may anything you may be interested in

Welcome, Torberry, and I hope that some of the real experts on this forum will be able to help you and that you'll get some of the answers that will shed light in what must have been darkness - or, at least, gloom - for many years.

Can someone, with more knowledge in the field than me, say (a) whether there would have been a board of inquiry into this accident; and if so, (b) whether its proceedings and/or findings would have been made public; and if so, (c) where the transcript of the proceedings and/or the report of its findings would have been archived and might be accessed now.

Have not found anything yet, but, at the risk of stating the obvious, an email to http://nationalarchives.gov.uk/conta...tform.asp?id=1 should elicit a reply from the National Archives to confirm if they have anything in their files on this incident. From previous experience, they do hold data on most military air crashes for the 1950s - though I I've not tracked down the one for Sunderland RN288 yet

The other "obvious" place of contact would be the RAF Museum at http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/contact-...uiry-form.aspx to see what they have in their files

Thread Information