Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Hitler - Mannerheim recording

Hitler - Mannerheim recording

Hello all.

I found out recently about this recording, the only one in existence of Adolf Hitler speaking off the record, totally off guard. It was recorded in Finland, it seems by accident one day during a state visit.

I'm trying to find a way to download it, or listen to it, just for historical interest, but the only website I can find is Finnish and I haven't even the faintest grasp of the language! I thought that there was a chance someone here might know something, here is the link to the website if you are interested.

http://www.yle.fi/elavaarkisto/?s=s&g=1&ag=3&t=22&a=376

Thanks guys.

Jo.
    "Quicquid agas age"

Quote Originally Posted by jbritchford View Post
    Hello all.

I found out recently about this recording, the only one in existence of Adolf Hitler speaking off the record, totally off guard. It was recorded in Finland, it seems by accident one day during a state visit.

I'm trying to find a way to download it, or listen to it, just for historical interest, but the only website I can find is Finnish and I haven't even the faintest grasp of the language! I thought that there was a chance someone here might know something, here is the link to the website if you are interested.

http://www.yle.fi/elavaarkisto/?s=s&g=1&ag=3&t=22&a=376

Thanks guys.

Jo.
    The amazing thing is to hear Hitler speaking in a conversational tone rather than the ranting we're used to in his speeches - talking about Russia he says he would not have believed it if somebody told him a country could start a war with 35,000 tanks "I would have said they were crazy!'"

Sound was on TV recently but the transcript (in English) of Hitler's conversation with Finnish army chief Mannerheim is here:

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/bdvisit2.asp

This was recorded in a railway carriage where Hitler met Finnish Army Head Mannerheim in June 1942 - Finnish President Ryte and German Field Marshall Keital were also present but Hitler does all the talking. Mikes were set up by Finnish radio and recording only stopped when Hitler's security bods found the wires. Unlike in the rants for public consumption, Hitler appears to be quite candid about his own mistakes and unfortunately the recording was stopped before he finished saying what he discussed with Soviet foreign minister Molotov.
    Last edited by Tony; 15th October 2007 at 22:09.
    After being told he had months to live:.....Enjoy every sandwich....Warren Zevon (died 2003)

The thrid audio file on the website you linked to (the 17 min file) contains the audio file. The other two files are of some Finnish guy talking about it? I do not speak Finnish either so not sure what is going on there.

Since I do not speak Finnish I can't tell if it is the full interview or just bits of it. It is not just Hitler though, also some high ranking Wehrmacht officers. For some parts there is quite a bit of background noise from the dinner.

-edited to add-
    This is certainly not the full interview as the audio suddenly drops mid-sentence. Whether more is available but not online, or the rest has gone lost I do not know.
    Last edited by tenthije; 15th October 2007 at 22:15.
    Click here to view my photos at JetPhotos.net!
    Click here to visit my website!

I can translate the stuff as soon as I find enough time and computer that supports sound (I'm at work now so I doupt my boss wishes to see me talking with Gitler..)

But what Tony descriped is pretty much what is known already about these recordings.
    God wanted to create world and figured out that it would take ten days
    ...Gollevainen gave him six...

These recordings were used to recreate Hitler's conversational voice in a project to dub Eva Braun's silent home movies. Lipreading was used to recreate the dialog. The results were interesting, but provided no really new historical information.

Thread Information