Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Last Victor Flypast

Last Victor Flypast

A long shot this. Does anyone know what the serial number of the Victor was that carried out a series of flypasts, including Woodford on 30th September 1993?

The occasion was just shortly before the type retired from service and I think the aircraft did a flypast at all the places associated with the type. By this time there only a handful of aircraft left but the ID of this one has eluded me.

AP
    So much for Pathos

I remember that flypast. It came roaring over Chesham at about 800 feet, routing from Radlett (place of birth) to High Wycombe ( Strike Command) I think. Quite a sight, and rare to see a military aircraft low down, so close to the Heathrow zone.

I believe the last ever Victor to fly was XH672 in November 1993 but I'm struggling to find out how many were left flying by late September 1993.

AP
    So much for Pathos

This probably isn't much help, but XL231 was delivered to Elvington in November 1993, I guess XM715 was also.

No help whatsoever, but XL231 was the lead aircraft in the Vic that overflew the disbandment ceremony of 55sqn at marham.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy's Lad View Post
    No help whatsoever, but XL231 was the lead aircraft in the Vic that overflew the disbandment ceremony of 55sqn at marham.
    Wasn't that the last time that any of them flew, I can't remember the date though. I was able to get down the field at the end of the runway and video the whole event, it was quite an experience to be behind a Victor on take off. A good take off sequence too, the first took off, turned, then flew back over the other as it took off, etc. Unfortunately all three flew across at right angles to the runway, I don't recall them overhead, then they landed in the opposite direction. Sorry can't replay the tape on my new camera to check the date.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Truman View Post
    Wasn't that the last time that any of them flew, I can't remember the date though. I was able to get down the field at the end of the runway and video the whole event, it was quite an experience to be behind a Victor on take off. A good take off sequence too, the first took off, turned, then flew back over the other as it took off, etc. Unfortunately all three flew across at right angles to the runway, I don't recall them overhead, then they landed in the opposite direction. Sorry can't replay the tape on my new camera to check the date.
    No, a few weeks later Lindy flew to elvington, Brunty's victor flew there, and the last victor flight was the RF museums example which flew into Stafford or shawbury (can't remember which) since Cosford's runway was too short.

The flight referred to in his thread could have been any one of them OR a special flight arranged before the delivery flights.

Here's a thought - if the aircraft had a clean wing (i.e. no tanks on at all) then it was the RAFM's victor on its final delivery flight.....

The flight was definitely on the 30th September and was, I believe, a special flight to tour around all places associated with the Victor. I have a recollection it was an ordinary K.2 but it was a while ago now.

AP
    So much for Pathos

According to Wrecks & Relics 14, the Victors left flying by 30th September 1993 were,

XL161 20th October to Lyneham
    XL190 19th October to St. Mawgan
    XL164 11th November to Brize Norton
    XL231 25th November to Elvington
    XM715 25th November to Bruntingthorpe
    XH672 30th November to Cosford
    XM717 cut up for Hendon

And there were three left at Marham in 1994, not sure how many of them could fly.
    XH673 (gate), XL160 (flier?) and XL192 (crach rescue).
    The others were grounded earlier.
    XH671 (march 1993), XL158 (1990), XL512 (1990).

Smile LAST VICTOR FLYPAST

HI
    ON 30th SEPT 1993 LAST VICTOR FLYPAST AROUND AIRFIELDS WAS XH672 WHICH IS TODAY AT COSFORD COLD WAR MUSEUM I WAS OUTSIDE RAF COTTESMORE WATCHING THE FLYPAST I ALSO DO HAVE PHOTOS I TOOK THAT DAY.

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to find that out for years!

AP
    So much for Pathos

Thread Information