Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Mike Hawthorn's Percival Vega Gull G-AHET

Close to the last operational 11 Grp 'B of B' airfield

Mike Hawthorn's Percival Vega Gull G-AHET

Just been reading the excellent book Mon Ami Mate about 1950's racing driver's Peter Collins and Mike Hawthorn who became the first British F1 champion in 1958.

Hawthorn had a pilots license and owned and operated Percival P10 Vega Gull, G-AHET, out of Fairoaks in the late 1950's and possibly still owned it at the time of his death in the accident on the A3 in Jan 1959.
    G-INFO has it as de-registered, does anyone know what happened to it...??
    I was with it all the way until letting the brakes off..........

Acording to the 'bible',the Air-Britain Civil Aircraft Register 1919-1999,
    G-AHET was damaged beyond repair in a forced landing at Kirkby Trading Estate,near Liverpool on 2nd May 1960

Quote Originally Posted by cestrian View Post
    Acording to the 'bible',the Air-Britain Civil Aircraft Register 1919-1999,
    G-AHET was damaged beyond repair in a forced landing at Kirkby Trading Estate,near Liverpool on 2nd May 1960
    Seems the strange co-incidental circumstances of Hawthorn's life have continued with his aircraft, barely surviving more than a year after he did.

At least a few of his early race cars have survivied and are in the Beaulieu collection.
    Shame the Gull didn't, Hawthorn's piloting escapades seem to have been just as 'interesting' as his driving ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    Shame the Gull didn't, Hawthorn's piloting escapades seem to have been just as 'interesting' as his driving ones.
    Not having the benefit of having read the book, what would be some brief details of the 'incidents'?
    http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 10.8 times!

Seems the strange co-incidental circumstances of Hawthorn's life have continued with his aircraft, barely surviving more than a year after he did. .
    Not the only time that has happened i can assure you. My father was killed in 1970 flying for a film in Ireland, in 1972 about 18 months later his Tiger Moth G-AHRC ended up in the Irish Sea when returning from an Airdisplay in Ireland. Almost like it didnt want to come home without him
    "I see something of the cobra in you Stachel!"

Sywell Airshow 17th August 2014

www.sywellairshow.co.uk

www.Biggles-Biplane.com

Gull G-AHET

Have any pics. survived of this lovely Percival design? if so it would be great to see them please.

Dustyone
    Seems the strange co-incidental circumstances of Hawthorn's life have continued with his aircraft, barely surviving more than a year after he did.

At least a few of his early race cars have survivied and are in the Beaulieu collection.

Have a look at The Nostalgia Forum on this link:

http://forums.autosport.com/showthre...threadid=95864

There's a picture of the Vega Gull with a racing number - did Mike hawthorn ever enter an air race?. That forum reached the same conclusion as this as to its fate.

(If the link doesn't work type "Autosport Nostalgia Forum" into Google and then look for the thread)

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedWine View Post
    Have a look at The Nostalgia Forum on this link:

http://forums.autosport.com/showthre...threadid=95864

There's a picture of the Vega Gull with a racing number - did Mike hawthorn ever enter an air race?. That forum reached the same conclusion as this as to its fate.

(If the link doesn't work type "Autosport Nostalgia Forum" into Google and then look for the thread)
    ***** Thanks for the link to the pic. RRW.
    Dustyone

Mike Hawthorns Vega Gull

It’s a bit late but have just found this thread. A bit more detail of the incident
    The aircraft was running low on fuel and thought about landing at Aintree Race course. I think fuel became critical and the pilot decided on the playing fields of Brookfield School Kirkby nr Liverpool. Unfortunately the goal posts where still in place so his landing run was reduced and he had to fly over houses. He did a go round after touching down bit long. I cannot remember how many attempts he maid but the last one he decided to go round again but the engine did not pick up and he ended up in the chain link fence nose down and the undercarriage snagged in the fence.
    I also cannot remember how long it stayed their but it was recovered buy truck. As pupils of the school we were not allowed any where near it. Hope this completed the story

I read this thread and it started bells ringing! Nah,thought I, the old grey matter is letting you down. But I wasn't convinced. I was sure that there was something that I had read about G-AHET post Mike Hawthorn. Eventually I found it. But I had to go back to the 2nd edition of W&R to do so. There, under Barton, was the following entry:

"The P.10C Vega Gull G-AEYC was brought here, where it was hoped to rebuild it with parts from P.10C G-AHET. Unfortunately this project was cancelled and the remains of the burnt Vega Gull were later further ill treated by vandals, and all parts of both Vega Gulls have now been burnt".

So perhaps here endeth the story. Maybe it's a good job that it didn't survive to be stored in Tottenham or other locations in east and south London, having regard to events there over the past few days!!!

For the record some other pictures of Vega Gull G-AHET-

At Hendon 21/7/51
    G-AHET

At Biggin Hill 1960
    G-AHET  Biggin 1960

And also of Vega Gull G-AEYC

at Biggin Hill 1960
    G-AEYC  Biggin 1960

at unidentified location/date
    G-AEYC

At possibly White Waltham
    G-AEYC

Tony

I suppose that this leads to the question - why was G-AEYC described as "the burnt Vega Gull"? What was its fate? Yes, I could google this - and probably will do so - but in the meantime, it does seem a question worth the asking!

Fate of EYC

If my memory is correct Gull EYC caught fire on the Gatwick apron in late 1960-61 whilst being re fuelled and was deemed beyond economical repair. Coincidentally I was speaking with Eddie Edwards who keeps his Harvard at Great Oakley, he showed me a log book entry from 1957 when he flew EYC from Thruxton. You will note from the pictures that this is a late Gull with the blown windscreen panels rather then the more rakish flat panels of the earlier models.

Thank you, TC. For me, you're quicker than googling! Maybe someone can elaborate upon the efforts to rebuild a single Vega Gull from the remains of 'EYC and 'HET and say why this failed. Was it due to the attentions of the vandals? If so, it's hard to avoid drawing some modern day parallels!
    Last edited by avion ancien; 9th August 2011 at 21:24.

Whilst I cannot provide you Avion Ancien with a positive answer, I would imagine it was down to cost. Its fair to say that both the airframes were probably still held together with their original casein glue. At around this time all UK registered wooden airframes were being closely scrutinized for glue problems following a number of inflight airframe failures. At the slightest hint of trouble aircraft were withdrawn from service until repaired using modern aerodux glue. It was also at around this time the UK market was seeing an invasion of all new economical metal American types at less then the cost of the Gull rebuild. Consequently both Percival and Miles types were scrapped in huge numbers. Airframes that were perfectly good for rebuild or repair were consigned (dozens of them) to many of the Nov 5th funeral pyres all over the country.

Anyone know if Mike Hawthorn ever flew himself up to Folkingham for testing when he was with BRM?

I think Ron Flockhart used to fly up to Folkingham in an Auster - anyone know the reg?

EYC,

I know where the rudder is but I am sworn to silence (its red with a flag onit)

Quote Originally Posted by AgCat View Post
    Anyone know if Mike Hawthorn ever flew himself up to Folkingham for testing when he was with BRM?
    Possibly.

It wouldn’t have been in the Vega Gull though, as he didn’t buy that until 1957, and he only drove for BRM during the 1956 season.
    It was actually in 1956, that he first flew himself to race meets (actually he never flew to a race meet solo) so, whilst driving for BRM it most likely it would have been using his fathers Fairchild Argus, G-AJSG. He certainly flew himself to a number of UK race meets in 1956, and flew himself down to Nice for the ’56 Monaco GP.

I am sure there are many more parts from classic British light aircraft hidden away just waiting to be discovered. Nice to know that the Rudder from Mikes Vega survives, any chance of a picture? Since we started on the Proctor rebuilds various parts have come to light. A rudder from a Mk 4 was found in a cellar in Hemel Hempstead complete with various airfield decals it acquired in its travels around Europe in the 50's and 60's. How it got to Hemel is a mystery.

Not G-AHET of course, but delighted to see this Vega Gull gracing the 'Revival' event and classic fly in at Panshanger yesterday.

A cracking event too!
    Last edited by low'n'slow; 22nd August 2011 at 14:00.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehunt View Post
    Interesting post to reawaken this thread......
    To put things in context, my now deleted post prior to yours regarding the current location of 'EYC's fin was indeed a bit left field.

However having got a response, the matter was very quickly cleared up and so the final act was to delete said post and move on.

Jon
    Hooton Park
    https://www.facebook.com/hootonpark

email - jonhoward23(at)hotmail.com

Thread Information