Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Spitfire over Derbyshire

Hybrid View

Spitfire over Derbyshire

My girlfriend lives in Duffield, Derbyshire and she's just phoned me to let me listen to a Spitfire doing what sounded like a full display routine over and around her house. From what I could hear over the phone it sounded like a Griffon Spit, and judging by her description of the markings it sounds rather like the Rolls Royce Mk.XIX. Apparently this Spitfire appears quite regularly over the village, and always does a very lively, low level display.
    Firstly, can anyone confirm which Spit this is, and secondly why it performs over Duffield so regularly?
    "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease." Sergei Sikorsky

Rolls Royce Mk19.

Im 99% certain it was the Rolls Royce Mk19. I saw it over Shipley Park as I was doing my evening run, it stopped me in my tracks! It appeared to head off in the direction of Hucknall (it is due to appear at the Hucknall Airday on the 23rd, as are Hurricane R4118 and PA474, last years display was excellent). It appeared again heading back towards Heanor about five minutes later. It made the mundane far more interesting!

Thanks mate, that seems pretty conclusive. Thanks for the heads up about the Hucknall Air Day too, I didn't realise there was going to be one this year. Do you happen to know what else will be displaying?
    "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease." Sergei Sikorsky

Hucknall Air Day

No problem, there is a list of aircraft due to attend on their web page: www.merlinflyingclub.co.uk.

If last years display is anything to go by, it will be a top show. The raised banks that the crowd sit on give some great photo opportunites. R4118 did a breath taking display last year, as did Janie. A bargain at £3.00 per person!

See you there!

Deano

Quote Originally Posted by Ant Harrington View Post
    My girlfriend lives in Duffield, Derbyshire and she's just phoned me to let me listen to a Spitfire ....
    Sod the Spitfire, they are ten a penny.

Where did you find a girl like that?

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Thread Information