Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bristol Freighter For UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Scramble Bill View Post
    REALLY hope this happens! remember living, going to school near Bishops Stortford late 70's early 80's ? and often seeing, HEARING a Bristol Freighter slowly making its way somewhere...MAGIC, guess this was the last one flying?

Nice memory - it was probably G-BISU you heard while still operating with Atlantic Air Transport / Instone. At that time it was not the sole example flying in the world as other examples were still in commercial use in Canada for some time after that. Ironically, G-BISU itself was later sold in Canada but was subsequently flown back to the UK but sadly crashed at Enstone. The very last flying B.170 flew in Canada and is now preserved at Wetaskiwin, Alberta.
    Last edited by Consul; 16th December 2016 at 08:41.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

Quote Originally Posted by ericmunk View Post
    There was a pretty decent plan some years ago to bring over another Canadian example for a private party. Haven't heard any more on that project, but could be that one too?
    That plan failed sadly and that example ended up staying in Canada, but fortunately it did get preserved and flew the type's last ever flight to its present home of the Reynolds Air Museum at Wetaskiwin, Alberta where it is on show.
    Last edited by Consul; 16th December 2016 at 08:42.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Cussen View Post
    I remember fondly an Airfix model of a Freighter as a child, seem to remember the cargo doors opened.
    Ah, that model would have been the Mk. 32 Superfreighter, which had an extended nose. I had one too! I also remember the sad line of engineless BAF Superfreighters, alongside the entrance road at Lydd in the late sixties, presumably awaiting the scrapman's torch.
    Last edited by avion ancien; 16th December 2016 at 16:07. Reason: Spelling.....

The most comprehensive story of the Bristol Freighter design, production and use is in the hefty book about the type published not that long back by Air-Britain and still available.
    OK, let me put my post another way;

Taffy Powell's book includes the story of Silver City Airways and its Bristol Freighter fleet. Since Taffy set up and ran the Company it will answer the various questions regarding how they made money with them, and what they were allowed to carry in the way of freight, vehicles and people.

OK?

Remember watching G-BISU doing circuits at Coventry. And I'm sure that it was from the same ac, that I witnessed horses being unloaded at Staverton (presumably from Ireland) at the time of the Cheltenham Cup. Shame that there are none now flying, but pleased that a number are being cared for, and applaud the efforts of bringing one to th UK.

Quote Originally Posted by TexanTrev View Post
    Remember watching G-BISU doing circuits at Coventry. And I'm sure that it was from the same ac, that I witnessed horses being unloaded at Staverton (presumably from Ireland) at the time of the Cheltenham Cup. Shame that there are none now flying, but pleased that a number are being cared for, and applaud the efforts of bringing one to th UK.

Absolutely, I got several trips in RAAF Bristol Freighters out on Air test after deep overhaul at their Edinburgh Field facility back in early 1960's. (I was on Blue Steel Trials with 4 JSTU RAF ). We had an Airframes RAF Cpl out there who was on loan to RAAF and he was the Bristol Freighter man. Myself and other JSTU Airmen who liked being around these old aircraft got fixed up with trips left right and centre. I did several Air tests in Dakota's and one flight in a Meteor T7.
    The RAAF were quite happy to let around 3 or 4 of us on board these transports along with the RAF Cpl who on the Bristol Freighters was specifically there to check on aircraft systems in flight, one of which was the cargo area heating. This consisted of ducts around the sides of cargo bay that fed air in from the nose area, but was heated by some strange heath Robinson heater that ran on Avgas and was continually catching fire, as it did on one trip I was on. You see, in the Bristol Freighter, the 2 pilots sat up above the cargo area and were remote from events down there. So we and the Cpl were left to our own devices, (No Loadmasters there M8--- She'll be right ,--- no intercom to Cpl either, as well as no seats for us, we just piled on board, a "G/Day" from the pilots and off we went.) These guys were quite competent and I never got worried, except when the heater caught fire but Yer man doused that with an on board hand carry extinguisher. The pilots wern't worried in the slightest, this was normal for a Bristol Freighter. The Air tests would cover engine wind downs and back up, a handling check and get as close to stall as they could without it actually "Flipping". So looking back now to those times, I realize how lucky we were to be in right place at right time. A lovely big contraption was the Bristol Freighter, so yes, definately, we need to have at least one back in UK. I guess no chance of a flyer though and even if it did happen, no chance for a repeat for me after some 50 years plus. Must admit, that one in Canada on edge of a lake looks interesting too. Will follow this thread indeed, bring it on boys.

Bill T.

Just picked up on this thread.
    You might be interested in these pictures taken at Duxford in 1987

photo Freighter 87c_zpsndzc0jkg.jpg

http:// photo Freighter 87b_zps2w6zwkzd.jpg

#22 flamker: bikes as "vehicles": parastatal (i.e: owned by you & me) BEAC was UK's monopoly scheduled carrier, UK/Europe, 1947 into mid-1960s. All, let me repeat, all scheduled pax. was on first offer to BEAC. They took anything worthwhile. Dregs could be bid for by tramps, who normally must enter "Associate Agreements" (=royalty scheme) to avoid a BEAC objection (veto) to the Regulator. Even Lundy -Barnstaple. So from 1948 the Lympne-Le Touquet Freighter Mk.21 2 cars service paid BEAC to be left alone. I do not know if the bike story is so, but scheduled foot pax could not be "diverted" from BEAC (1953: 3 car Mk.32; 1954: Lydd-le Touquet). From 1956 they flew Mk.21 Wayfarers all pax, Lydd-Le Touquet/Ostend and carried me, not as a scheduled service pax, but on an Inclusive Tour charter package. wef 5/56 they operated "Silver Arrow" schedules, Victoria-(Lydd- Le Touquet-) Paris/(Lydd-Ostend) - Brussels: 32 seat Wayfarers (5/58: 60 seat Mk.32 Super Wayfarers). This was a copy of Skyways Coach-Air Dakotas wef 9/55, Victoria -(Lympne-Beauvais) - Paris, which I believe to have been the first breach in BEAC's "Associate Agreement" cartel, with the Regulator accepting (to be Freddie Laker's "forgotten man of air travel" argument), market expansion, not piracy.

So: why on earth did anyone operate T.170 pax-only? Well, in 1943 when Bristol had been funded to enter the airline sector (to be T.167 Brabazon), something had to keep them going till then, after Victory. Hence the cargo tub on Bombay wing, funded for the Burma Campaign. All-pax was added on the assumption that C-46, C-47 would not be civil certificated or sold at scrap rates. Such sales as were secured were either on Aid or barter, or to folk who had problems accessing $ to keep Pratts turning.
    Last edited by alertken; 20th December 2016 at 08:24.

hi,
    over on Aviation for All there's a post about bringing a B.170 to the UK for display at Filton, aerospacebristoll.org/freighter/ would be nice to have one in the UK. Only 11 complete a/c out of 214 built, and non in Europe...

regards,
    jack...

Hi Jack,
    That's what this thread is about. Hopefully in the near future some new info can be shared.
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

http://nzcivair.blogspot.co.nz/2017/...ex-zk-epg.html

Today saw Bristol B170 Freighter Mk31 ex ZK-EPG / NZ5911 msn 13135 moved from it's long trem resting place in the Dwen Aeromotive Ltd compond at Ardmore to near the entry gates to the compound.

Ah, the good old Plymouth Tramp! Neil Shute would be proud!

Good timing, I've just re-read that novel. It did keep me wondering though, which other types could have been the basis for the Airtruck and Carrier?
    A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

Good news: shame about the p!ss-poor punctuation...

Did someone mention the Airfix Superfreighter?
    Built a few months ago
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Superfreighter 2.JPG 
Views:	696 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	251755

Nice work on the model.
    Are the autos in 1/72 or 1/87th?

Imagine the fun of flying your Aston Martin across the Channel to start a drive to Monaco or Nice.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Good timing, I've just re-read that novel. It did keep me wondering though, which other types could have been the basis for the Airtruck and Carrier?

Take a look at this thread, when we pondered these very questions!

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showt...te-thinking-of

JB. One is 1/72nd and the other 1/76th (OO)
    Aston + pretty girlfriend + trip to Monaco = heaven here on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    I've long-considered them to be the literary equivalents of the Miles Aerovan and the Budd Conestoga.

Somehow I've always pictured all the types from that novel as tailwheel aircraft, I guess that I should change that. Thanks for the link to the old thread Propstrike, I had forgotten about that one!
    A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

This Freighter has been static and stored at Ardmore since it was flown there from Whenuapai on 31Aug1978.

It's history is ex G-AMPK NZ5911 ZK-BJP, back to NZ5911 then ZK-EPG.

It has now been moved up nearer the road, and I called in to have a look at it yesterday.

Built to 1/11 scale from a plan drawn up from the Airfix kitClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00845.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	251851Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00843.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	251852

I started my spotting career at Eastleigh in 1954 when Silver City were very busy with Freighters and Super Freighters running car ferry services. Back then the only thing between us and the apron was a 3 ft high white-painted wooden fence - the aircraft were maybe 50 or 60 feet away at times.
    Those were most definitely the days!
    Here's a postcard ...not sure of location...

My first ever aircraft photo! Bristol Superfreighter G-AMSA at Zestienhoven Rotterdam Airport 13 July 1964.

Jur

An update on the Bristol from NZ Civil Aircraft (beware: incorrect apostrophe usage): http://nzcivair.blogspot.co.nz/2017/...ets-rnzaf.html

Yesterday afternoon (13/3) I noted two RNZAF truck's unloading equipment near the Bristol Freighter, this afternoon a further delivery was made, and RNZAF staff were working on the aircraft. I understand that the RNZAF are providing equipment and staff to help remove the aircraft's wings and to help prepare it for shipment to it's new home in the UK as a training exercise. While it will be sad in some way's to see this long term Ardmore resident depart it is good to know that it is going to a worthy final resting place.
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

Quote Originally Posted by K5054NZ View Post
    An update on the Bristol from NZ Civil Aircraft (beware: incorrect apostrophe usage): http://nzcivair.blogspot.co.nz/2017/...ets-rnzaf.html
    Many thanks: looking forward to seeing this. Shame about the apostrophes (or should it be "apostrophe's") but I'll get over it I'm sure

What a great gesture by the RNZAF to help take it apart!

Great news, didn't expect this to be happening so soon. Shame this aircraft saw no civil use and would love to see it in a civil NZ scheme, of course a nice Silver City scheme would be the best IMHO.
    Rob

You could always come to Omaka and see ZK-CPT! I hope we get a taxi this year.

Omaka Bristol Freighter with fresh engine by Errol Cavit, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by farnboroughrob View Post
    Great news, didn't expect this to be happening so soon. Shame this aircraft saw no civil use and would love to see it in a civil NZ scheme, of course a nice Silver City scheme would be the best IMHO.
    Rob
    A nice RNZAF scheme would be good too, especially given the assistance they are providing?
    Martin

Thread Information