Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Future of Cosford

Future of Cosford

What would be the future of cosford if the RAF shut the base?

Would they have to find the money for their site which I believe is rented?

which units are actually at Cosford?

would they end up like Hendon, crammed in among hideous flats?
    pb::

I believe Cosford is slated to recieve AAC units from Germany, when the DCAE move out, so the site should be secure as an airfield.
    As for the RAF Museum, one would hope they made arrangements to secure their part of the site before ploughing millions into the stainless steel Toblerone that is the new Cold war Exhibition. Can't see the Heritage Lottery handing over that sort of money without some tenure to the ground the building is sat on.

While the future of the base is still unclear now that the goverment has recived its 30 pieces of silver, the future of the Museum is safe.

What future for the Cos air show after 2010/11 ?

Worry about there being one in 2008.

With London housing shortages greater than the Cosford area, I wouldnt put it past Chancellor Brown and the rest of the dictatorship to sell off Hendon and move the collection to Cosford. The value of the Hendon site is probably greater than Shropshire itself! Look at all the other places the pillock has sold off, lots of which have had there own threads on this here forum.
    Last edited by Ivan; 29th April 2007 at 21:03.
    "To speak a dead mans name is to let him live for evermore"
    If we do not investigate, learn from and preserve the past, we have no future.

[QUOTE=Ivan;1109044] The value of the Hendon site is probably greater than Shropshire itself! QUOTE]

I can't let an insult like that go unchallenged.

Being a proud salopian, I am officially declaring that a state of pique now exists between Shropshire and Wolverhampton.

Next Saturday I will put a full war load aboard my Cosford Grob and sally forth to flour bomb Ivan's house.

PS. Ivan. Can you give me your address please.

re

What the hell is going at Hendon? Obviously the developers want to get on with their hideous flats so when is the control tower going to be saved?

Considering the ghosts at Hendon, I wouldnt want to live on that site, even if it was a tasteful, cheap place to live (they are not. They are hideous)

How much of the police college is on the old AF?
    pb::

dakkg651; Theres a pub on the corner, so you may as well bomb that in case I'm not home!! Would you not be better off waiting until the Jag's are delivered, you could cause far more damage!!
    I've PM'd you btw. regarding the address. depends if you're using an A2Z or GoogleEarth for Nav purposes!!
    Shropshires lovely by the way. Was there with my daughters school yesterday at Wilderhope Manor.... Glorious.
    Back at Cosford tomorrow (Friday) to take my father for a visit. We were going a couple of months ago but after the (private) hospital nearly killed him we had to put it on hold obviously. Thank you NHS. Luckily the CWE has lifts so he can get the "full" experience.
    Last edited by Ivan; 3rd May 2007 at 13:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Luckily the CWE has lifts so he can get the "full" experience.
    Given another forumite's recent experience that these weren't working, I'd call ahead and check.

And please - let us know either way. If they are working, great, if not, a bit of public notoriety for a base-level provision failure's a salutary thing.
    James K

Looking and thinking...
    Vintage Aero Writer: Blog & Details

Thanks JDK, will do that now. I want to go first thing as although he is not in a chair, both his shoulders are hugeley painful and if there is a lot of peeps, then a number of knocks would be excruciating..... but he refuses to be housebound. Stubborn Sod!!!

JDK, thanks for the heads up. High Level (Javelin) lift is still out of order and will be tomorrow. Sure it won't spoil our day out tho. Pub lunch afterwards.... tough at the top!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    JDK, thanks for the heads up. High Level (Javelin) lift is still out of order and will be tomorrow. Sure it won't spoil our day out tho. Pub lunch afterwards.... tough at the top!!
    Just to let everyone know, both the lifts in the Cold War Exhibition were in full working order today, I used the high level one to go up and have a bird eye view of the Javelin and to get 'Aerial' shots.

Yup, found that the high level was in full working order. Did my dad a power of good going there. Was followed by 2 guides listening to my 8 yr old son giving Grandad, Nan and Uncle Joe a guided tour of the exhibits!!! Indoctrination can be a good thing!
    Last edited by Ivan; 5th May 2007 at 21:15.

Thread Information