Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: For Sunderland Fans

For Sunderland Fans

If you're interested in a little history of the Short Sunderland I highly recommend the following threads that have been posted on my Wings Over New Zealand Forum, by Air Vice Marshal Robin Klitscher, a former Sunderland pilot.

This one deals with the famous incident where his Sunderland 'landed' at the opening of Wellington International Airport
    http://rnzaf.proboards43.com/index.c...ead=1168424676

And this excellent thread deals with patrolling in Sunderlans in general.
    http://rnzaf.proboards43.com/index.c...ead=1169206278

Robin has a fantastic way with words and a great memory. He really makes you feel like you're there when you read his stories, imho. I'm sure you'll enjoy reading his posts as much as I have.

I recall that incident the first time round Dave as I had just left the last RAF Flying Boat Squadron at Seletar. I wonder if Robin knew of the legendary Ben Ford who would ask ATC to flood the runway on his beat up of an airfield!

There are thousands of stories out there here are a few if you are interested............

http://splashdown2.tripod.com/id12.html

Dave,

Wonderfully told story. It was not the only Sunderland to survive a scrape along the ground but this is a superbly detailed story - thanks for drawing attention to it. The Sunderland, NZ4113 is former RAF PP124.

And John, thanks for your link too.

My main interest is in NZ4109 (exDP191) and DP198 (W with 205/209 in Seletar). Both were built just a couple of miles away from me here.

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Pondskater View Post
    Dave,

Wonderfully told story. It was not the only Sunderland to survive a scrape along the ground but this is a superbly detailed story - thanks for drawing attention to it. The Sunderland, NZ4113 is former RAF PP124.

And John, thanks for your link too.

My main interest is in NZ4109 (exDP191) and DP198 (W with 205/209 in Seletar). Both were built just a couple of miles away from me here.

Allan
    Allan
    DP198: I have 4 pics of 198 starting here and amongst a few other albums

I have a colour pic of the last time a RAF Sunderland landed in the Lagoon at Gan, Maldives, I'll try and dig it out. Photo courtesy of Tony Hawes

Going back to the original topic wasn't there also a famous pic of a Sunderland with its hull on an airfield runway (??), it is some time since I last saw that one so if anyone can point to it, thanks in advance.
    Last edited by John Cooper; 19th January 2007 at 18:55.

I'm glad you chaps enjoyed the stories.

John, there is a photo on the Sunderland vs Rongotai thread, is that the one you meant?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Homewood View Post
    I'm glad you chaps enjoyed the stories.

John, there is a photo on the Sunderland vs Rongotai thread, is that the one you meant?
    No Dave not the one on your own forum, grey cells disppearing fast here! Just recall a Sundy pic with part of the hull gone and A/C resting on a float, I will ask my mate, he is into everything nautical aviation of the webfooter kind!

John,
    I suspect the incident you are thinking of is 29th May 1943 when Sunderland T9114 from 461 Squadron landed at Angle Airfield near to Pembroke Dock in South Wales. Having picked up survivors from a Whitley and a Sunderland in the open sea, the hull was ruptured on take off so a water landing in Milford Haven was not possible. The aircraft, largely, survived the landing and most importantly, the crew were unhurt. The Sunderland was later scrapped nearby.
    I don't have a picture but there is one in John Evans' book Sunderland Flying Boat Queen vol1. (p37)

The one I was thinking of as well was Sunderland EJ153 on 5th June 1951. On a night time practice bombing mission with 235 OCU operating from Calshot it hit a hill, slid along and managed to fly off again. The crew spent a long night burning off fuel, shoveling out soil and shoring up the damaged hull. The aircraft flooded on landing but a couple of boats helped to keep it above water until she was beached. The attached photo shows the scale of damage - done by putting a hose inside the aircraft before she was patched with concrete and returned to Shorts for repairs.

I only vaguely recalled hearing about the New Zealand incident. Being able to read the full details is great - that's why I come to this website

Allan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

As well as Robin who was co-pilot and wrote the piece, I also know Ray Tocker who was the Flight Engineer. He lives here in Cambridge and is now the Returned Services Association President. He has told me a couple of times about the incident, not in as much detail as Robin's story as with Ray it was over a few beers. But he maintains he's still the only person to fly all the way from Wellington to Auckland upside down, and is probably right.

A Sunderland FB landed on Angle Airfield on the southern shore of Milford Haven Waterway in Pembrokeshire on the 29th. May 1943. The Pilot and crew were from no. 461 Squadron and based at Pembroke Dock. The Sunderland was T9144 'E' The Pilot was Gordon Singleton of the Royal Australian Air Force.

The aircraft was holed on take off in the hull with quite a gash, the aircraft landed on grass with the port float touching the ground, my friend has a print of this #201 of 250 signed by Gordon Singleton who apparently lives in London

Just a heads up - Robin has added another interesting chapter from his Sunderland days onto my forum. Really fascinating stuff. See here
    http://rnzaf.proboards43.com/index.c...0310556&page=1

Thanks for the update.
    I've been away and nearly missed this - always a delight to read his posts.
    Allan

geedee is offline Cool...I have a red dot !
    Dave

There's a vid of that 'low flyby' here

http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/Richard/1572/

That is a fantastic clip GeeDee, thanks for sharing this I know several webfooters that will be interested in this piece of footage

Thread Information