Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Nikon D50 + lens?

Nikon D50 + lens?

Hey guys,i was thinking of upgrading to a Nikon D50,however i was wondering could i use my 300mm lens that i have from my old f55(i say old it's 2yrs old ),it's proper name that's on the box is :"Nikon zoom-nikor 70~300mm f/4~f/5.6G".Also if there's any D50 users out there could they give me they're opinions of that camera?

Hi Gary,

Your 70-300 should work Ok with the D50 although if its anything like mine it may hunt around a bit while trying to focus on moving subjects.

There are some really cheap deals on D50's at the moment, but have you considered a D70 S which is a better built and more capable camera. The D70s is about to be replaced soon by the D80 so prices will I'm sure drop even further.

Septic.
    Real Messerschmitts have Merlins

http://www.woodlandsjoinery.co.uk/

I realy love my d50. If you whant to see what kind of photos it produces have a look at my website, theres a link in my signiture.
    It is a good body and there is not alot between it and the D70 as far as i can see. Personaly i would wait for the D80 to come out and buy that.

I am sure you will be happy with a D50 (as with many dslrs you will have to learn about sensor cleaning though - a topic well covered in this and other forums) it is capable of very good results and the build quality is fine - mine has had nearly a year of hard use and is as good as new. The 70-300 "G" lens is fine working with it subject to the limitations of the lens that you will no doubt have found with your F55 - I have found it to be better than my old Sigma 70-300 for focusing with the D50 - great on a bright day with good contrast in the subject - poor on a dull day with low contrast subjects at range - experiment with the autofocus settings and you will get to know how to get the best out of it in different conditions. It is also better stopped down at about F11 as you get near to the 300 end. Between 70-200 it is at it's best. As 200mm is the equivalent of 300mm on your F55 you may find that you don't have to use it as much at the 300mm setting.

Thanks for the advice everyone,the reason the D50 has caught my eye is that it's the most reasonably priced at the moment,& the fact that i can use a lens i already have is a great reason to got for one.I didn't realise that at 200mm on the F55 it's the same as 300mm for the D50,how come?,And what will be the max.value in "mm" on the D50 for the same 300mm lens?.How big a problem is sensor cleaning with DSLR's,bearing in mind i don't plan on changing lens at all with it.

Quote Originally Posted by gary o
    200mm on the F55 it's the same as 300mm for the D50,how come?,And what will be the max.value in "mm" on the D50 for the same 300mm lens?.
    It is down to the sensor being smaller than a 35mm frame - multiply the focal length of the lens by 1.5 to get the equivalent for the D50 so the 300mm becomes 450mm.

How big a problem is sensor cleaning with DSLR's,bearing in mind i don't plan on changing lens at all with it.
    Once you get used to it it isn't too bad but dust tends to show up more with aircraft shots - it will still get in eventually even if you don't change the lens.

I didn't know that was the case with Nikon DSLR's,i knew that canon did though,i was also wondering about the pixel count,the fuji S9500 has 9 megapxls & the D50 6megapxls,but which would be a better camera.I've searched jp.net for each different camera,& the S9500 seems to suffer from noise,where as the D50 shots seem that bit sharper.They're both of similar price,so i'm at a cross roads

There is more to it than pure pixel count and even if the image quality was as good - a dslr is also part of a system so you can upgrade in the future (the lens for example if the soon to be released Nikon 70-300 VR turns out to be good). I like Fuji and have one of their earlier "bridge" cameras but between the two I would have no hesitation in saying the Nikon is the one to go for.

Thread Information