Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cosford VC-10

Cosford VC-10

Just to let people know it's outer wings are off & it's being moved to where the Valiant was re-built for dissmantling next week.

Is it still going to be smashed to an ally pulp or has she been saved?
    "Good work Raymondo, I'm bumping you back up to DS, only this time make sure it stands for Detective Seargent and not Dog Sh*t..."

All gone quiet, any more news anybody?

Ooooh Vicky...... R.I.P.!!!
    Adrian

when i left work on Tues, it had been moved to the car park & some guys were trying to get the engines off!

That is sad news! Not to be morbid or anything, but is anyone able to record the process by taking some photos?
    A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

some pics at last. These two I took Tuesday..........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vc10 1.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	140634   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vc10 2.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	140635  

These two today. BAC 111 is now next to it infront of Hanger 1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vc10 4.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	140636   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vc10 3.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	140637  

I wish I could do the same to the ***** who let this happen - no bloody excuse for it at all.

Philip - problem we have here is that the RAF quite routinely scraps VC-10's at St Athan - there is no outcry about it . It's a simple need in order to keep the fleet going.
    Looking directly at the RAFM collecting policy - they will in the next few years undoubtedly consider acquiring an ex RAF example . They cannot justify having two ad the aircraft at Cosford in unfortunately in a poorer condition than a freshly retired VC-10.

Hi David,

I agree with all that you say; but I think the problem is that some of us like airlinners, because they're happy planes which we largely associate with nice things like holidays, and as such we would rather see a VC10 in a colourful airline livery as oppossed to a drab military colour scheme.

That of course said the VC10 has served with the RAF far longer than it did with the airlines - so I guess it all boils down to personal taste in the end.

Steve

The whole issue behind these actions has been discussed quite extensively on this thread and earlier here, and in other places. In the end it is just a shame to see this happen to an airframe which everyone presumed to have a safe future.

In contrast, here are some photos from happier days: http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55943
    Last edited by Archer; 1st September 2006 at 12:51.

was the VC10 really that bad condition wise though?

I remember reading about the prototype Super VC10 being flown into St Athan for scrapping. No public outcry over that one either?
    Cheers,Peter
    "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

have a look at the cosford BA thread for more pics

I'd rather see a VC10 in RAF colours, no matter how drab they are.

It is the RAF Museum after all, not a Laker/BA theme park.

Positive thinking...

Just to re-assure people that ARVM is not a lost cause, this notice will be displayed alongside the aircraft in the next day or so:

"British Airways is working closely with Brooklands Museum to preserve as much as possible of the fuselage of this aircraft, the last standard VC10 to serve with the airline. Current plans call for the fuselage to be carefully dismantled during September and moved by road to Brooklands Museum at Weybridge for re-assembly. Final details of the move, and of the Museum’s plans for the fuselage once it is reassembled at Weybridge, will be released shortly."

Allan Winn, Director, Brooklands Museum

Alan,

Good news, but I am not surprised. Having noted that the Trident was shredded within a day or so, I thought the VC10 was being rather more carefully dismantled.

I was about to propose a rescue plan for the Trident when the pictures arrived of the shredded Aluminium! Oh well...

Bruce

Very sad to see those pictures... Spent a few happy hours doing touch n go's at Benbecular in her. Arrrrr happy days!
    =======================================

"What do you mean the computer say's NO!"

http://cliffibell.fotopic.net

Bac 1-11 loaded on trailor ready for departing Cosford today when I visited the Museum

Quote Originally Posted by peter
    was the VC10 really that bad condition wise though?

I remember reading about the prototype Super VC10 being flown into St Athan for scrapping. No public outcry over that one either?
    Interesting... slightly off-topic, but looking at St. Athan with Google Earth at the north-east of the airfield there's a VC-10 in the early stages of being broken up. It has roundals on the wings which would make it one of the transports rather than a tanker. These Google Earth images are usually a couple of years old - generally 2003ish, so any ideas which VC-10? If you look carefully there's a cockpit from another one nearby. Also, in the north-west side there's an engineless VC-10 tanker - awaiting the same fate ?

Its probably one of the K.2s (the ones featured in the Airfix kit!), civilian standards converted later in life for RAF use. They were first to go, mainly because the airframes of course arrived in RAF hands with a large number of hours already 'on the clock'.
    Webmaster, Trident Preservation Society

In fact, if those shots are as old as 2001, which is not entirely impossible, then it could be this one:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0483543/L/
    Webmaster, Trident Preservation Society

Hmmmm.... XV103 is my favourite for the one with the roundals and tail-less.

Quote Originally Posted by megalith
    and as such we would rather see a VC10 in a colourful airline livery as oppossed to a drab military colour scheme.

Steve
    I wonder if it's just me but I think the massively understated RAF schemes look fantastic on the VC10, and look forward to seeing one hangared at Cosford. Obviously, grey appeals to me as an accountant, but the white and blue cheat and the other schemes are masterpieces of design which complement the VC10 wonderfully. To me, a RAF VC10 looks fresh even after 40 years; a USAAF 707/KC135 just looks old. The BA scheme is as fresh as a Betamax video.

End of rant, I'll get back in me box.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Winn
    "British Airways is working closely with Brooklands Museum to preserve as much as possible of the fuselage of this aircraft, the last standard VC10 to serve with the airline.
    Allan Winn, Director, Brooklands Museum
    I'm most grateful to you, Allan, for taking time to post this excellent news.

Unfortunately it raises as many questions as it answers. What does .."as much as possible of the fuselage..." mean?

This statement has something of the air of British Airways' Geoff Want's original statement that the BA Collection was to "..be saved", when in fact he knew the Trident, the 707, and VM were to be shredded. How much of the fuselage does Brooklands want?!

There has been an air of secrecy about Brooklands and VM ever since the Cosford bombshell - but why? If Brooklands had said they wanted more than just the cockpit I'm sure funds could have been raised to secure the whole aircraft. VM had a major role in BOAC and BA pilot training in the 60s and 70s. I'm sure many former BOAC/BA aircrew would have put their hands in their pockets, but the impression was given that Brooklands had its own VC10 and little interest in VM.

There is a quite mistaken, in my opinion, view that when the RAF disposes of its VC10s there will be plenty of good airframes to go round and therefore there is no urgency to save the airline versions. In fact the Air Force ones are being cannibalised at such a rate to keep an ever diminishing number in service that there will be very few parts left, let alone airframes, when the final one lands.

It would be good if Brooklands, as the home of the VC10, could take a leading role in managing the preservation of this aircraft - or we shall end up with all the civilian ones in the open corroded to destruction and just one RAF version preserved under cover.

Quote Originally Posted by DH106
    Interesting... slightly off-topic, but looking at St. Athan with Google Earth at the north-east of the airfield there's a VC-10 in the early stages of being broken up. It has roundals on the wings which would make it one of the transports rather than a tanker. These Google Earth images are usually a couple of years old - generally 2003ish, so any ideas which VC-10? If you look carefully there's a cockpit from another one nearby. Also, in the north-west side there's an engineless VC-10 tanker - awaiting the same fate ?
    There are some thoughts about those photos here: http://www.vc10.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133 I think they are ZA142 (which is the one on the Airliners.net photo TobyV linked to) and XV103. The cockpit could be the remains of ZA144 of which the front section might still be around (see here for a photo).

Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    There are some thoughts about those photos here: http://www.vc10.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133 I think they are ZA142 (which is the one on the Airliners.net photo TobyV linked to) and XV103. The cockpit could be the remains of ZA144 of which the front section might still be around (see here for a photo).
    Yes, I think you've nailed 'em - XV103, ZA142 & the cockpit of ZA144

As some of you are aware by now, the speculation over the fate of VM has come to a conclusion. Brooklands is taking the whole fuselage, and the intended method of display as an exhibit will be anounced shortly. What can be said however is that Brooklands have been working on this from the outset back in January, but there have been many obstacles to overcome. One of these is simply the logistics of actually getting it into Brooklands. The luxury of the airfield entrance by which Concorde was delivered no longer exists due to the Daimler-Chrysler development, besides this would place VM in an unsuitable position within the museum with reference to future developments.

All we can add further is that we are working on de-riviting at the forward production joint rather than cutting, as we feel it is essential to keep any exhibit as original as possible. This was always a risky option due to uncertainty of the butt strap seperating cleanly from the fuselage skin, but test sections have seperated so far.

There have been instances of individuals entering the compound and removing parts. Can we remind you all that the compound is private, and the airframe along with any parts removed are not public property. Besides, you may also be removing parts that were destined for A40-AB at Brooklands.

Should anyone wish to declare an interest in items from VM, then e-mail me and I can put you in touch with the relevant person.

just to let people know, fuselarge was being loaded onto trailers as I left work today! But more interestingly a Mig21 turned up!!

Would that be the Gold Mig 21 frum Dux?

John.
    ON SUN TIPPED WINGS THEY LOVED TO FLY INTO THE WIDE UNMEASURED SKY

http://www.lightnings.org.uk/

"Good luck Mr Gorsky!".

Thread Information