Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: 633 Squadron Mosquitos (A very old thread revisited)

633 Squadron Mosquitos (A very old thread revisited)

What was the fate of the Mosquitos used in the filming of 633 Squadron ?? , also I know the is a craftsman making new Mosquito fuselages in New Zealand , is there any plans to make new wings - how were these made up , is it just normal wooden spars and ribs covered with a veneer of wood and then covered in doped fabric ???

RE: 633 Squadron Mosquito's

Hi!
    I do not know how many Mosquito used for the filming. But at least three of them are destroyed. As you can see on the scene:

1) one that run into fuel bowser
    2) one that collapses undercarriges and came to rest on it belly, and
    3) one that force landed and burned on the last scene.

Ohter aircraft includes a T Mk3, RR299 which was crashed in '90s.

In one respect I personally do not like to watch "633 Squadron" movie because so many flyable Mosquito were destroyed before you, although the movie itself was an enjoyeable and exciting one. I admit the movie was one of the best aviation picture ever filmed.

As far as I understood a person in New Zealand has completed the fuselage shell of the Mosquito. Wings are of rather conventional construction, using laminated spar and thick plywood. In my opinion, finding plywood thick and large enough to cover its upper skin (in double construction) can be a problem. But I am expecting it to take to the air again some day.

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 27-09-02 AT 09:17 AM (GMT)]
    RR 299 wasn't in 633 Squadron, she was in the sequel `Mosquito Squadron' (another poor film!!!).

The Mosquitoes that were film stars were: TW 117; HR 155; RS 712; TA 634. I think also RS 709 might have been there, but I'm not sure. These are the ones I can remember, of the top of my head, so if I'm wrong, apologies. If you want a more definitive answer I'll do some checking up, but because I don't have much time it won't be till at least Sunday.

The fuselage that's been completed, in New Zealand by Glyn Powell, is going to Canada. It's going to be used by the Windsor Bomber Group to rebuild their Mosquito to static display (more info on the Mosquito Page www.mossie.org )

Cheers,
    Neilly

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 27-09-02 AT 09:42 AM (GMT)]I'm not a Mossie expert, but I think that only one Mossie was damaged during the making of the film. The crashes were mostly replicas and models.

Anybody know for sure?

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Hi Moggy,
    I'm afraid to say that two or three real Mossies were destroyed during filming.The one that crashed into the bowser was a real one,as was the example that belly landed in the middle of the film (not sure if this scene was shot from a different angle and re used in the end sequence).The only models involved were the ones that were shot down,crashed into cliffs etc.
    As for Mosquito Squadron being a poor film,that's quite an understatement!I think it's probably the worst British war film that's ever been done.The storyline was pants and the dialogue and special effects were tacky.I could only stand about 10 minutes of it!
    It's a shame they made such a flop considering they had three airworthy Mossies at thier disposal and a whole load of unused footage from 633 Squadron.
    "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease." Sergei Sikorsky

RS712 is now with Kermit Weeks and, a far as I know, not flying. It spent many years with the Strathallan Collection,and was last seen there in an all over silver scheme. I believe its now back in camouflage.

My apologies for many guesses, but I'm pleased to learn all of these facts.

BTW. Does somebody else know where is the T. Mk3 that had been at RAF Museum Hendon untill some years ago? and who ownes it?
    TIA

The RAFM Mosquito T.3 is now with the Norwegian Air Museum at Bodo.

Kermits mossie has not flown for the last 10 years because the glue n the wings has deteriated. He is having a brand new set made in New Zealand and he should receive them in the next 12 - 18 months.
    The mossie at the mosquito museum is a high candidate to be restored to fly, i was told on my last visit that the standard of it's original restoration was so good that it should only take about 3 years to put back in the air.

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 29-09-02 AT 01:37 PM (GMT)]
    The problem with the Mosquitoes is not the condition of the wood, it's the glue. The wood on TA 634 has been X-rayed & is in fairly good condition, well within it's percentages. However, there is no way of telling how good the glue joints are, or at least that's what I've been told.

The T.111 in the Norwegian Museum is TW 117, so she survived the film makers!!!

TTFN
    Neilly

RE: Kermit's mossie

As far as I'm aware, she's still in the main hall of the EAA museum at Oshkosh Wisconsin. I spotted her there in October 1993, which must have been very soon after she moved in as there was fresh oil in the driptrays under her engine nacelles.

Hi Steve,

The Oshkosh Museum Mosquito is RS 712. This is a Mosquito B.35. This Mosquito flew in both 633 Squadron & Mosquito Squadron. Her UK civil reg. was G-ASKB. It was bought from the Strathallan Collection. It's American reg is N35MK.
    TW 117 is a T.III which is in the Bodo Museum.

Cheers,
    Neilly

Hi Neilly, yes, I did actually mean RS712, although tagging on to the end of the TW117 thread may have been a bit misleading.

Kermit Weeks, update on the Mossi
    PART ONE

PART TWO

Its great seeing RS712 after all these years.
    Robert Whitton,
    Edinburgh, Scotland

I seem to remember that Duxford's example, formerly of Skyfame, was at least in fast-taxyable condition for one of the films; I'm sure I was told that it was this aircraft that had the u/c retracted on "landing" and was subsequently set fire to, destroying one wing. When the aircraft was restored at Duxford many years ago, the new wing was grafted onto the existing wing and centre section.
    Listening out for something interesting approaching...

No, not the case, it had an accident at Skyfame, which damaged the wing and undercarriage.

The retracted on landing aircraft was destroyed on set, and was TA724

Bruce

Thanks Bruce!

Easy to see how the story - and the confusion - started! Thanks for putting it straight!
    Listening out for something interesting approaching...

mossies

wasnt Cosfords Mossie used in 633 squadron?

TA639 - yes.

As this is a scarily old thread, its worth just correcting some other stuff further up the page.

Kermit Weeks has not had new wings made for his aircraft, RS712, and it doesn't need them.

Also, the Mosquito Museum aircraft are not under restoration to flight, nor have they ever been. They have always been very much static restorations.

Some of us will also have spent a moment thinking about those who posted on this thread back in 2002, who are no longer with us, including the OP, 'ageorge' and Steve Young.

Bruce

Kermit Kam walkround was interesting...

Hope he gets it flying again...
    Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

行雲流水

True Bruce.....these threads show the gone but not forgotten. Good chaps....the lot of them. We need more forum get-togethers.

TJ118 was drilled for bullet holes for a starring role in 633 - OXAC had the tail, rear fuse and collected a load of stuff in the 80s, now reunited with the cockpit at Salisbury Hall

What ever happened to the Mosquito which had an outer wing panel sawn off in order to fit into a gallery at the IWM Lambeth? It was eventually removed and ended up I believe at IWM Duxford. Does anyone know if it was ever reunited with its wing.

skyskooter

That example is reportedly now owned by the US based FHC and presently in NZ for restoration.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

skyshooter, Consul is correct, TV959 was at Lambeth, more detail at http://www.warbirdinformationexchang...hp?f=3&t=48150

Thread Information