Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AIM-132 ASRAAM vs. AIM-9X vs. R-73

AIM-132 ASRAAM vs. AIM-9X vs. R-73

Which is the better WVR missile? All will having HMS cueing systems, and all perform very similarly in the air, so i think this would be a close comparison for best WVR missile. Of course, data for the AIM-9X is still unreliable, as it is not yet in service, but ASRAAM has been in service with RAAF since early 2000 and of course the R-73 has also been in service for quite some time now.

MinMiester

RE: AIM-132 ASRAAM vs. AIM-9X vs. R-73

In aerodynamics maybe they are similar and even some would still claim the R-73 is better, but if you're talking about seekers, then the R-73 is not in the same class. I'm sure the Russian must have a similar seeker (multi element, multi color) in some newer missile airframes in development...

It all depends what you want, all these designs are roughly equal technically but represent fairly different approaches to the same problems. A quick and dirty comparison; As far as range goes, the R-73 easily runs off with the prize with an *effective* reach of 40km in it's latest versions, the ASRAAM is next at 22km and the Sidewinder X around 16.

When it comes to initial agility, the AIM-9X can hit an astounding 80G and be launched as much as 180 degrees off-boresite, compared to around 50G and 60 degrees for the other weapons. However the AIM-9X uses the same motor as the 1970s 'L' model and it's agility drops off rapidly as it is relatively underpowered. The other two weapons would be more capable at distance.

Greatest lethality probably goes to the ASRAAM, which actually punches beneath an aircraft's skin before exploding inside, if that weren't enough it is also able to actually target the enemy's cockpit through the capabilities conveyed by it's advanced high resolution IIR seeker. The AIM-9X has the same seeker and the same pilot-kill ability but it is hobbled by it's anemic 1970s warhead design. The R-73 has a *very* effective warhead that will kill anything flying but it's IR seeker is a generation behind the other missles so I'd say it's a tie for second place.

If it were up to me I'd have a tough time choosing between them.

Maybe i should throw in the Python 4 and the IR MICA as well!

How would these two missiles fare? I know the MICA has a very capable seeker, but i don't really know much about the Python 4.

MinMiester

Urban Guest

>Maybe i should throw in the
    >Python 4 and the IR
    >MICA as well!

I think that should be "Python 4 and IRIS-T", since for some reason France has asked for information about AIM-9X, Python 4, ASRAAM and IRIS-T for possible integration on Mirage 2000 and Rafale.
    There's no doubt a medium range (they've fired it at a target 60 km away) IR missile with datalink and different firing modes can be useful, but in this case it seems they, or potential customers, want something better for the shorter ranges. In short: We're not quite at the stage where dual range missiles are practical yet. (And the French have also sort of admitted they need something with more range/speed than MICA, so now that Matra BAE System Dynamics is in on the Meteor programme, together with Saab-Bofors Dynamics/Alenia Marconi Systems/LFK/CASA/Thomson-CSF/Bayern Chemie/Boeing I don't predict a great future for MICA.)

I would not throw the MICA IR so fast. It has dual wavelength imaging seeker, thrust vectoring, 50 g manoeuvering, very high speed and Meteor is only a dream for now. If FAF issued a request for a short range IR missile, it's because MICA is seen as too expensive for retrofit on the "old" Mirage 2000 in replacement of the Magic II.

MICA acually seems to be a very good weapon, it's vectored thrust enhanced agility and overall WVR performance seem to be similar to ASRAAM, which is very good indeed. I think the only problem is that it's probably similar in cost to AMRAAM, about 3 or 4 times more than any of the dedicated dogfight missles. I could see why many customers would want another short range option. As for comparing MICA to Meteor, they are two very different weapons with differing roles and could happily coexist on the same aircraft.

Krasnaya Zvezda Guest

I seem to recall that the USAF rejected adopting the ASRAAM because it was not 'lethal' enough. They certainly tested it but I wonder how much this had to do with protecting Raytheon than the best missile...

Kz

It was probably too lethal for US industry

The USAF originally rejected the ASRAAM because of it's "inferior" seeker head, then chose an AIM-9X that had the virtually the exact same seeker head!!!

MinMiester

I read something about a contest between all the new IR-missiles in Air Forces monthly I think. And I think the R-73 was credited as best dighfight missile. (It could also be air international i' not sure.)

you'll have to read deeper minmiester, inferior seeker head dosen't mean inferior seeker element! The same IR seeker element can be used, but by introducing much better electronics and image processors, in effect a tremondous increase in seeker head performance can increase, easily in the tens or hundreds of DBs...

whoever said the thing about the aim-x not being a affective pilot killer because of its warhead then they should think about a projectile wieghing 250 pounds travling at mach2 coming through the cockpit and exploding, now mybe if it where superman piloting the plane this would be different but he doesnt fly planes so think again please he he. also i think this is a bit un sporting like killing pilots, after all, all you need to do is take the plane out of action and thats good anough, but going for the pilot just seems a bit on the harsh side if you ask me, but all fair in war isnt it boy's!!!!

xcept killing women and children, other civillians, killing medical people, torturing your prisoners etc. Please see the Geneva convention and other human rights treaties.
    Regards, Ivan

nice one ink

Bah...useless limitations on warfighting. War should be absolute. Pilots are combatants and a resource and should be treated as such in conflicts. As for killing civillians, you declare war on a country, not their military, so everyone should be fair game. Flatten a few blocks of a residential area and the enemy might start to rethink his position.

As for the actual purpose of the thread, my vote is for the improved R-74.
    Sean O'Connor

Sean's Blog, now with forum
    ACIG.org Team
    Airliners.net

Whats so good about the R-74, if you don't mind me asking?
    Regards, Ivan

Improved seeker, improved range, to the point of making it a BVR missile (BVR is considered anything over 10 NM, the new range is 18).
    Sean O'Connor

Sean's Blog, now with forum
    ACIG.org Team
    Airliners.net

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 15-Dec-00 AT 00:45 AM (GMT)[/font][p]Sounds nice, espec if you rate it as better than the ASRAAM. Is it in service?

If you've got nothing better to do SOC, you could have a look at the "Need help identifying a..." thread. I posted some questions there nobody seems to want to answer.
    Regards, Ivan

F-16isbest,

A missle with pilot-kill ability won't always be able to do so, if machine vision were that good already we might not have pilots to worry about killing. Also, the ASRAAM is the only missle that would actually explode inside the cockpit, the -9X uses a proximity fuze to set off it's rather inadequate warhead.

You may describe the rather small warhead as inadequate, but it's MORE than adequate for a missile that explodes in the cockpit!!!

MinMiester

It must not even explode, MinMiester; IR-missiles are specialized and well known for their bad habbits of hitting pilots in their hearts....just like AIM-4D did it so often in Vietnam....;-)

Its more in the softwares...its an imaging IR remember...pretty nasty things you can do with it if aerodynamics permits...some nasty programmer can even target some rather personal parts...heheh

biffbutkus Guest

Would we call that a "heat-seeking-missile seeking missile"?

elpalmer Guest

I say kill downed pilots. They are too well trained a resource to give back. Who would find out? Hey, it's nothing personal. It's just practical.

elp
    usa

The next thing you know is the Anti-pilotdenial weapons...small missiles (smaller than Stingers) where the pilots can use after ejection... and for last ditch defence an extremely high power handheld laser that blinds the enemy pilot...

elpalmer Guest

What they need is the ultimate anti-pilot weapon. Used before a mission. It's made by Boing. Call the "Ultimate Woman".

The only specs I could find are as follows:

A rich nymphomaniac that owns a liquor store.

elp
    usa

Are those in production yet, or is it just a prototype?
    Regards, Ivan

Why is the Archer's seeker head considered inferior or a generation behind?From what do you derive that?

biffbutkus Guest

Well, considering that the Archer seeker head is ~early 80s technology, I think that mid 90s/late 90s for the ASRAAM/Box Office/IRIS-T puts them a generation ahead of the Archer. Not to say that improvements aren't underway for the Archer. Besides, its still the best in service at present time.

Thread Information