Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: taxes, fees and charges...?

taxes, fees and charges...?

Bit of a tricky one this...but here goes:

How are the taxes, fees and charges for a flight determined? As in how much is charged per passenger, per flight?

Is the usual VAT rate of 17.5% added onto the fare price?

I have always assumed that 'taxes, fees and charges' covers an airlines costs such as airport charges, fuel, staff, etc...is this right?

If not, please explain it to me...

All I am aware of at the moment is that every passenger leaving the UK has to pay a 'passenger tax' of £5, which was set by the Government, but my main question is...

Do airlines set t,f,c's in accordance with their fares?

Does the CAA have any involvement with these taxes?

not really sure how they are calculated but have just done the same route on the same dates but with different airlines and had a difference of £3.58 on taxes etc even though there was a £140 difference in flight prices. A lcc going to the same destination from a major london airport only has £10 as its tax etc. Do some airlines only pass on a proportion of what they actually get charged?

The charges are set to whatever the airline has managed to negotiate with each airport hence the variation, although certain charges are fixed, such as airport departure tax.

Basically each airport charge the airlines a fee for each passenger that passes through the airport. The fees cover such things as baggage handling, security checks, use of airport facilities (toilets etc), use of check-in desks, etc, etc.

Thread Information