Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YF-24 picture

YF-24 picture

Has anyone got any information or genuine pictures on the YF-24 aircraft?

I’ve also head rumors that the designation relates to a bomber variant of the YF-23 Black Widow but another story has come out which I think is more believable. The YF-24 was an advanced variant of the F-15 Eagle designed as a contingency if the ATF program was cancelled after the end of the cold war.

Isnt it a photoshoped picture?

i have never heard of that airplane.it looks like someone used F-15 as a base for this fiction.

Looks way too much of an PS job.

LOL yeah it's about as real as this one. Probably wouldn't be much of a challenge to find the original on the net somewhere. I mean it's the guy's FIRST post and he's wondering if this photoshop job is real? Probably did it himself and wants to see if anybody will bite.

Wink "F-4Z Phinal Phantom!"

Slán, fightingirish
    Avatar: Ho-Yeol Ryu, Flughafen (Airport), Hannover [HAJ / EDDV] 2005

Thanks for the brick wall of skepticism. I found the picture browsing another forum http://www.alien-ufos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13419 but thought this a better place to start my research is here where people are generally more informed and level headed.

The idea of putting forward swept wings on the F-15 seems quite obvious because after the X-29 that's what we expected the next fighter to have.

The picture may be fake or it could just be so poor quality because it’s been zoomed up. I'd rather reserve judgment until more information on the YF-24 can be dug up.

My research suggests that a manned YF-24 definitely exists and I think the F-15 story is at least as plausible, no more plausible, than the YF-23 bomber story.

The X-29 revealed that the theoretical and potential advantages of FSW were simply not there in reality.....so the idea of having run two full scale airframes to test the theory and then built a canarded third version is implausible....

The X-31 programme clearly showed far more promise and real advantages over the existing airframes.....

Quote Originally Posted by researcher
    Thanks for the brick wall of skepticism.
    Not skepticism but common sense. What would be the point of a forward-swept wing F-15 mod? They've actually tested one with with a canard and thrust vectoring and nobody was really even interested in that relatively trivial mod (compared to going with a forward-swept wing).

Dude, it's pretty obvious it's a PS job. Neat idea, but come on...

Nic

Apparently the USAF was worried that the ATF program would get the ax because of its costs in the post-cold war world. So they got McDonald Douglas to run a contingency program designated the YF-24 which was to be the cheaper non-stealth alternative 4.5 generation fighter. But they kept it secret so that the existence of the “cheaper option” didn’t act as a catalyst for the axing of the ATF.

The YF-24 was clearly a prototype or technology demonstration type so maybe the F-24 would have been slightly different.

Maybe that’s why the X-32 or X-35 not designated YF-25, to hide the existence of the YF-24.

Quote Originally Posted by researcher
    Apparently the USAF was worried that the ATF program would get the ax because of its costs in the post-cold war world. So they got McDonald Douglas to run a contingency program designated the YF-24 which was to be the cheaper non-stealth alternative 4.5 generation fighter. But they kept it secret so that the existence of the “cheaper option” didn’t act as a catalyst for the axing of the ATF.

The YF-24 was clearly a prototype or technology demonstration type so maybe the F-24 would have been slightly different.

Maybe that’s why the X-32 or X-35 not designated YF-25, to hide the existence of the YF-24.

There were numerous ideas for upgraded F-15s. None of them had a forward-swept wing. The most extensive was probably the F-15 MANX.

I seriously doubt that we will ever see the full extent of the US military research no matter how much time passes! This YF-24 might even be in the same catagory as the fabled F-19. Still, nice PS pics, wonder what other ones are out there.
    It's a good thing you are short, that way you don't have to live up to a high IQ!

i like that new phantom variant.. that would keep the F-4 going for a few more years.

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish

I'm a lurker here but posting that Phantom pic made me start posting. I'm the artist for that creation. It was a joke on another forum and in no way meant to be deceptive, the tones mismatch is intentional. "Gotta go pimp my Fantom man!".

Re YF-24, who knows but the idea of using FSWs doesn't seem as far out of the question as people are saying IMO. The mere fact that the image shows FSW in no way proves its fake so let's be a bit fairer. And i don't follow why the YF-24 would be a Black Widow variant either - as cool as the YF-23 looks, the F-22 can carry the same bomb load anyway. And why would they have to keep a bomber of that nature secret anyway? cool idea but it doesn't fly in my mind. I'd be glad if I was proven wrong though because the Black Widow is a beaut.

It looks to me that the center of lift would be too far aft if it was a real aircraft.

Just a quick hack job but. . . .

sferrin... you da man!!!!
    In Search Of Consciousness

The missing fighter?
    F-24 to F-31, F-33, F-34. Do anyone got any info on this designation. The US can't simply swap to F-35.
    What is so civil about civil war? - GnR

And why not....?

The numbering system is not perforce linear.....F-117 anyone...

The X planes follow their own system and once named X-35 its pretty easy to be lazy and say its the F-35...rather than going back to the next logical number...

F-24

I suspect the is a logic to numbering of fighter projects. The only thing I have found and that was in 2000 on the net was this. Speculation...concept Idea don't know. Don't care either ....it was also shown with a UCAV version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	US- Boeing F-24 UCAV_1.jpg 
Views:	616 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	125397   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	US- Boeing MRF-24X_001.jpg 
Views:	2811 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	125398  

Quote Originally Posted by sferrin
    LOL yeah it's about as real as this one. Probably wouldn't be much of a challenge to find the original on the net somewhere. I mean it's the guy's FIRST post and he's wondering if this photoshop job is real? Probably did it himself and wants to see if anybody will bite.
    sferrin: I LOVE you PS canarded F-18!!
    ________
    Honda Zoomer history
    Last edited by Merlock; 4th March 2011 at 15:56.

Quote Originally Posted by michelf
    And why not....?

The numbering system is not perforce linear.....F-117 anyone...

The X planes follow their own system and once named X-35 its pretty easy to be lazy and say its the F-35...rather than going back to the next logical number...

More like clueless (as the guy was). It should have been the F-24. There's the school of thought also that it was called F-35 in order to conceil the fact that there is an F-24 of some sort out there. If that was the case and they were so horrified about somebody finding out about it why not just do like Boeing did with their Bird of Prey and not give it (the supposed F-24) a fighter designation?

Quote Originally Posted by Merlock
    sferrin: I LOVE you PS canarded F-18!!
    I don't know who made it. It does look pretty cool though

To thread starter, F-24 was supposed to be the original designation for the F/A-18E/F Superhornet. As for what you've pulled out I don't know wether it's a photo shop or somebody's idea for a new Starscream.

F-24 an UCAV ?

From the book "ROBOT WARRIORS" by Hugh McDaid & David Oliver

first published in 1997, ISBN 0 75281 024 3

THE A-12 MYSTERY AND THE F-24 DELTA
    The most likely configuration of the F-24 is that of a flying wing delta, the aerodynamics of which are derived from the cancelled General Dynamics (now part of Lockheed Martin)/McDonnell Douglas A 12 Avenger ll. This was a subsonic highly stealthy strike aircraft aimed at replacing both the US Navy A-6 Intruders and the USAF F-111s. The A-12 was cancelled in 1991 allegedly because of cost over runs and the reduction in tension caused by the end of the Gold War and the break-up of the Soviet Union. Although at least $2 billion, and perhaps as much as $4 billion, was spent on the A-12, little hardware has been seen for the money.
    With such an exotic aerodynamic design as the A-12, it would be usual for a half-scale flying version to be used for testing the flight characteristics. 1 believe that this vehicle was produced and flown by the McDonnell Douglas ‘Phantom Works‘ (a ‘Skunk Works‘ type organization) who were also responsible for the
    X-36. Flight testing of this unmanned mini A-12 apparently demonstrated an amazing capability in the area of stealth, speed and endurance. It is believed that in 1990, McDonnell Douglas, with its Wild Weasel experience, proposed to the USAF a relatively low cost programme (similar to the X-36) to explore an unmanned replacement for the elderly F-4G. A few million dollars were found to continue the development. The SAM busting experiences of Desert Storm in 1991 increased the flow of money and more extensive secret facilities were made available. With the movement of the F 117 Stealth fighters from Tonopah to Holloman in June 1992, the small, mostly contractor manned, UCAV unit moved in to Tonopah — the most secure air base in the world. Additional money was siphoned from the F-117 budget and the development testing began in earnest.
    This UCAV, which we will refer to as the F-24 Delta, is approximately 25 feet in span and powered by a single, non-after burning General Electric F-404 of 10,600 Ibs thrust. lt has a relatively small internal centre-line weapons bay.
    This aircraft has an operational radius of approximately 600—700 miles so a considerable amount of internal fuel is required; the flying wing design provides the volume for such needs. The long range aspect of the aircraft is required to support deep strike missions, such as during Desert Storm, without the need to refuel in air. The endurance needs to be enough to ensure that the UCAV F-24 can be first into the target area and last out. A typical mission profile might be as follows:
    Operating from a secure section of militarybase the UCAVs take off as soon as it is dark.
    Once the super stealthy F-24s are in a ‘SAM rich‘ zone, a strike package, made up of unmanned decoys, is launched.
    As a result, the SAM sites turn on their radars.
    The F-24 UCAVs move in close for the kill while exchanging secure messages as to their chosen target with each other and the virtual pilot, located either on the ground or in a command aircraft such as an AWACS.
    Passive electro-optical sensors confirm the target, the virtual pilot signs off on the weapons release and a small, maybe 100 Ib, laser guided bomb destroys the target. Ten or twelve of such weapons could be carried internally, giving considerable combat persistence
    Once the SAM sites realize that they are being targeted, they are likely to shut down, and move if they arc mobile, thus hoping to escape the notice of their invisible nemesis. In this event, using its electro-optical sensors in conjunction with information from systems such as J-STARS, the F-24 can autonomously hunt for likely SAM sites, sending back imagery to the virtual pilot only when it thinks it has a likely target.
    It is interesting to note that the USAF in a recent interview said that UCAVs could be available to field by 2007 and that the Israelis arc talking about having UCAVs within the next generation. With such confident statements being made, much of the initial work must have already been done!
    The original A-12 was also due to have an undisclosed air-to-air capability so these aircraft, although probably subsonic, could be used to test out tactics and technologies that might be used in super-cruise unmanned fighters. Indeed Lockheed Martin arc openly discussing the possibility of pilots in their new F-22 Raptor superfighter, controlling three or four unmanned UCAVs. These would fly 50—1 00 miles in advance of manned aircraft and perform the initial missile exchange, leaving the manned aircraft to mop up the remnants of the enemy.
    There is rumoured to be a British connection with the UCAV but typical British secrecy means that this cannot be confirmed.
    For those who ask why this project is being kept so secret, the answer may lie in the area of arms reduction treaties. It appears that a UCAV may be classified as a cruise missile and therefore be subject to verifications and limits, or it may mean re negotiating treaties. Much better to keep it secret.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

All sounds a bit to much like the plot of the Dale Brown book day of the Cheetah.

I liked his earlier books but his later ones are awful.
    Because sometimes in life we need a bit of fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXNAp3mKepc

Researcher
    - Dude, it's an F-15 with the wings from a 1/72 S-47 model photoshopped onto it, and so-so job at that. C'mon, you found the originbal on a site called "alien-ufos.com". Pull that from an article on Jane's and we'll take it seriously.

The winner of the JSF was going to be named "F-24" but "F-35" stuck because of laziness on the part of people - it's just easier and less confusing to go from X-35 to F-35 than to go from X-35 to F-24 and it makes the F-35 look that much more advanced since it has a higher designation number.

20 years ago everyone got their panties in a wad that there just had to be an F-19 since we had the F-18 and the F-20. The reality was Northrop campaigned for the -20 designation for marketing purposes. Nothing's changed since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedaykin
    All sounds a bit to much like the plot of the Dale Brown book day of the Cheetah.

I liked his earlier books but his later ones are awful.
    The Flight of the Old Dog was the only one I'd call any good. (and there were plans to arm B-52s with a Megafortress type AIM 120 AAM/HARM/Tacit Rainbow weapons fit)
    TWIN RAMJET POWERED MONOPLANE FIXER 1985 - 1989

Quote Originally Posted by BIGVERN1966
    The Flight of the Old Dog was the only one I'd call any good. (and there were plans to arm B-52s with a Megafortress type AIM 120 AAM/HARM/Tacit Rainbow weapons fit)

Yep. They were planning on sticking AIM-120s on the never used pylons between the nacelles.

Quote Originally Posted by sferrin
    I don't know who made it. It does look pretty cool though
    Never mind. I steal the pic anyway...

The part about UCAVs is interesting. When/if UCAV get operationnal, will they also be designated asz "F-something" or is the "F" kept for manned aircrafts only ?
    ________
    FAIRMONT
    Last edited by Merlock; 4th March 2011 at 15:57.

Thread Information