Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Mirage 50C Pantera

Mirage 50C Pantera

Can anyone give me the details of this upgrade to Chile's Mirage 50 fleet. I don't really know much about it. I mean all details such as new and old weapons that can be carried, plus new avionics, and engine change info (if any at all). Thanks.
    Fox-4!

RE: Mirage 50C Pantera

The Pantera was rolled out on the 18 October 1988. Generally similar to the Cheetah E that the South Africans introduced. The prototype featured an ELTA EL/M 2001B ranging radar(replacing the AGAVE radar). This is the radar that the Israelis cut their teeth on. The old Mirage 3C had a very unreliable radar antennae drive mechanism, so the Israelis simply locked the antennae in the centre position and discovered that a simple ranging radar was sufficient for clear weather air to air work. This eventually culminated in the 2001B radar concept. The Pantera doesn´t have the same canard as the Kfir, rather it has the Cheetah canard which is less swept. The Pantera retains the ATAR 9K 50 engine of the Mirage 50. A HUD and INS were introduced and also a radar warning receiver. The undercarriage has been modified. It looks just like the Kfir undercarriage. The refueling system has been modified and a refueling probe has been attached. The Pantera obviously also has HOTAS. The plane should be OK as long as the Chileans don´t go the same route that the South Africans took and try to make the Mirage 3E/Mirage 50 something it´s not, namely a high performance multirole fighter. I haven´t read anything regarding precision weapons, and in fact the whole progam has been moving along VERY slowly.
    AFM ran an article on the Pantera in the April ´94 edition.

thats true, adding that in the reffuelingsistem this was modified to allow "hot refuelling" in a single point (for refuel the fighter just afterthis landed instead of turn off the engine ).
    in the weapons systems the python-3 aam was introduced and probably israeli-made LGBs
    other thing is the caiquen rwr and another chilean-made chaff/flare launcher.
    this program began in 1988 with a prototipe but only until 1992 began the series modification wich finalised around 1997 included 13 single seat and 2 trainers but one single seat was lost in 1992

The Mirage III and Mirage 5 (when it has radar fitted) can carry a single AM.39 Exocet, AS.30L, or AS.37 ARMAT on the centerline hardpoint. Shouldn't the Pantera be able to do the same? Also, what about the Super 530 (or even R.530) radar missiles?
    Fox-4!

As far as I know the Pantera does not have Super-530D capability. The FACh doesn't operate the AM-39 Exocet, rather the Sea Eagle ASM. Sea Eagles are fitted to A-36M Halcón II attack aircrafts. ENAER was the main contractor for the Pantera upgrade, but IAI did most of the work.
    How would you compare the Pantera to the Elkan?

Well, I had thought that the Pantera Mirage 50C's were the best of the early generation Mirages flying due to the upgrades. What then is the most capable of the modern early Mirage types (III, 5, or 50, not including Mirage F-1, Cheetah, or Kfir)?
    Fox-4!

Juan Guest

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-Mar-01 AT 05:11 AM (GMT)[/font][p]I am tempted to say the Mirage 50EV in use by the Venezuelan AF.

-Cyrano IVM3 radar (has a couple extra modes that the IVM of the F-1)
    -ALE-40 chaff/flare dispensers
    -Small canard fins
    -SHERLOC RWR
    -VE110 wide angle HUD
    -HOTAS
    -Atar 9K-50 engine
    -AM39

Besides the upgraded Ecuatorian Kfirs I belive this is the most modern early mirage delta in service.

I don´t think that the Elkan actually has any radar fitted.

i think the elkan have a terrain following radar called TERCOR, this is used for the frenchAF m-2000n and D and has only atack modes

Thread Information