Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Luton Minor Piccies

A bit more on the Luton Martin Monoplane, courtesy of the various books by Richard Riding and Arthur Ord-Hume.

It was a real bitza. It had started life as the Clarke Cheetah of 1929, which flew both as a biplane and as a parasol-wing monoplane, using the wings from a DH53 Hummingbird.

Luton Aircraft Company was then in 1936, commissioned to rebuild it by Flying Officer Richard Hopkinson, who named it the Martin Monoplane because his Uncle Martin paid for it!

Harold Best Devereux, later to become a founder of what grew into today's Light Aircraft Association was responsible for redesigning it as a low-wing monoplane, still using the wings and tail unit of the DH53.

In the 1970s, the late Mike Russell of Russavia, bought the remains of the aeroplane and had plans to build a 'new' DH53 Hummingbird around the original wings and to recreate the Martin Monoplane around a new set of wings.

I believe (Bruce will correct me if I'm wrong) that the DH53 is the one now at the de Havilland Aircraft Museum at Salisbury Hall. And I now need to buy 'G-ASEA' some beers to find out where the rest of it is!!

Quote Originally Posted by low'n'slow View Post
    ....In the 1970s, the late Mike Russell of Russavia, bought the remains of the aeroplane and had plans to build a 'new' DH53 Hummingbird around the original wings and to recreate the Martin Monoplane around a new set of wings.

I believe (Bruce will correct me if I'm wrong) that the DH53 is the one now at the de Havilland Aircraft Museum at Salisbury Hall...
    The Hummingbird reconstruction (which was to have been a trapeze variant IIRC) was also at least nominated for if not awarded a VAC restoration trophy.
    It is only kinky the first time...

Quote Originally Posted by T-21 View Post
    Would like any information on the Four Counties Flying Syndicate(P.Lea and Ernie Lingard)that used to operate 2 Luton Minors G-ASAA and G-ASXJ from Sudbrook House airstrip Ancaster ,Lincs in the sixties. The strip was close to RAF Cranwell and full of sheep ! Tipsy Trainer G-AFVN also used the field and flying commenced around 1954 by the owner Robin Simpson using a Tiger Moth reg unknown ?
    A few pics from that period are below.

G-ASAA was among the first post-war Luton Minors, built by Arthur Ord-Hume, who previously had rebuilt the pre-war G-AFIR. G-ASXJ is still flying in the Gloucester area and after being stored for many years at Fenland, Ernie Lingard's Tipsy Trainer is curently been restored in Lincolnshire by David Almey.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G-ASAA Kirton Lindsay 1966.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	167325   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G-ASAA 1976 VAC Boston fly-in.JPG 
Views:	205 
Size:	249.3 KB 
ID:	167326   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G-ASAA 1976 Boston.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	167331   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G-asxj black.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	167332  
    Last edited by low'n'slow; 6th June 2011 at 11:27.

Many thanks for the photographs ! the airfield hangars and slope look like Kirton-In-Lindsey ?
    Fly with the eagles,or scratch with the chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by T-21 View Post
    Many thanks for the photographs ! the airfield hangars and slope look like Kirton-In-Lindsey ?
    It is. A PFA fly-in I seem to recollect. It was a transparency offered on e-bay.

The other pictures of G-ASAA are from a fly-in to the rugby fields that are just to the west of Boston in Lincolnshire. The chap in the cockpit was a USAF F-105 pilot gaining his first fix of vintage open cockpit flying!

GASML
    I seem to remember seeing a 'Luton Major' in the early seventies which was a widened Minor, still open cockpit but side by side seating. It was just a scaled up Minor and not tandem like your photos.
    Now what could that have been?
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 2hotwot View Post
    GASML
    I seem to remember seeing a 'Luton Major' in the early seventies which was a widened Minor, still open cockpit but side by side seating. It was just a scaled up Minor and not tandem like your photos.
    Jim
    I think you'll find it to be the Luton Minor III Duet G-AYTT
    G-AYTT
    It is only kinky the first time...

Quote Originally Posted by 2hotwot View Post
    GASML
    Jim
    Yep. That's the Luton Duet. Not really a product of Luton Aircraft or its successor Phoenix Aircraft Limited. One example was built G-AYTT.

Click on this link for some seasonal pics of the aeroplane last Christmas!
    http://www.kingpinmedia.co.uk/_Other...testNews21.htm

Thanks to all those that have given me information to help track down some of the history of Luton Aircraft and in particular to the time here at Barton.. many thanks especially to both Steves and Dave!

I asked before about the Martin Monoplane and fingers crossed it looks like it is may still be in existence if not one piece!... as said in the thread before it was based on the Clarke Cheetah (Cinque Ports AC), and built for RA Hopkinson then based at Bovingdon By Luton Aircraft at Barton on 06-07-1937 from a DH53 salvaged by the company. The a/c was never that successful by all accounts with numerous engine failures and spent most its days in storage before being restored in the '70's. In more recent times it was acquired by the team at Salisbury Hall as donor parts in the rebuild of its DH53 G-EBQP which was a used in the parasite aircraft/airship trials. After a chat with the helpful people at Skysport Engineering we are fairly sure the airframe is in storage at Salisbury Hall (Mosquito Aircraft Museum) and owned by Terry Pankhurst still.

Steve sorry for moving off your Minor pics thread, more on the Minor in the next post.

A few Minors from 40 years ago!

Just scanned some of my slides for you - where did the last 40 years go?

Minors plus one Major.

(I've posted some Martin Monoplane stuff on the Barton Aerodrome thread - PM me if you want the full story.)

G-AMAW, Flying for Fun, Sywell, 11 July 1970

G-ASEB, Old Warden, 31 August 1969

G-ATCN, Old Warden, 25 August 1968

G-ATKH, Wolverhampton, 21 April 1968

G-AVDY, Tollerton, 24 August 1968

Luton Major G-AYVN, Old Warden (?) some time in early 1981
    Now working on Hurricane Survivors - to be published in September 2015 by Grub Street

G-AFIR, Rearsby, 1938

Just found this one in the filing cabinet - courtesy Victor Doree IIRC
    Now working on Hurricane Survivors - to be published in September 2015 by Grub Street

Quote Originally Posted by DGH View Post
    LOL I think as you suggest an articule in Todays Pilot is due.
    Or some other magazine.........
    'Get the wheels in line, get the wheels in line......!'
    Those that can, do.Those that can't be bothered, talk about it!
    Classic Flight volunteer.

Four Counties Flying Syndicate

I HAVE SOME OF THE INFORMATION YOU REQUIRE ON THE FOUR COUNTIES FLYING SYNDICATE. Please email me at dcaineyw@yahoo.ca

PM sent many thanks.
    Fly with the eagles,or scratch with the chickens.

Luton Minor Pictures

As my Luton Minor is shown in a sorry state in post #125 I thought I would post a more recent picture. Since photo has been taken the wings have been covered and she is due to be moved to Great Oakley, Essex some time in July for the post rebuild test flying.

Stuart

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Twinnshock; 30th June 2011 at 09:50.

looks really good Stuart, nice too another Minor well on the way back to being in the air.

Stuart, Its looks good. I have been doing a bit on SEA, when im not playing with my gliders.

Dave
    Last edited by G-ASEA; 5th November 2012 at 08:59.

Superb Stuart. Great to see 'WMN looking so good.

Thread Information