Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Terminator 2020

Terminator 2020

I was hoping cozic, that you or anyone else who's interested could help me find some good pictures (both of the aircraft itself and the cockpit) of the Turkish F-4E upgrade, the Terminator 2020.
    Fox-4!

RE: Terminator 2020

For a moment I thought you were talking about Terminator 2020 as the third in squel for Terminator and T2 movie :7

There you go
    Attachments:

Fantastic Terminator 2020 pics, I nearly had to go and lie down for a while after that post, cheers Dazza

Wonderful pics, thanks a lot. Say, where do you find pictures such as those. I can never find very many. If you can find more please post them (weapons options, inside the cockpit, different angles, anything, etc.). Alternatively, please post a URL I can look at. I'd love to see more of this jet.
    Fox-4!

Hi Phantom-II

Go to: eminfindikli.tripod.com

You'll see tons of pictures. F-4E(Termionators and RF-4Es), F-5s(Newly Modernized F-5-2000),F-104s,F-100s, and F-16s...

Enjoy....

Feridun Tasdan

Hi Sahin, I've just been to the site you recommended to Phantom II, superb, thanks for sharing, Dazza

Hi PII.
    I'm sorry but I don't have any photo of the upgraded cockpit.
    If I'll get something new it will be posted.
    Here are a couple of photos of the f-4 2020.
    enjoy.
    Attachments:

Thanks for your help everyone. Sahin, that website URL you gave me is Phabulous. I loved all the F-4 pictures and many other planes are on there that I just love to see as well (T-37, F-102, etc.) Judging by the pictures I've seen of the Terminator, it appears Turkey is really proud of their "new" jet. The Phantom gives Turkey a good long-range strike aircraft as well as a good back-up air defense fighter to complement the F-16 force. Perhaps an AIM-120 missile update would be a good thing to do. Of course the AIM-7 is a pretty good missile itself either way. Regarding the striking capability of the 2020, this is what I can gather that she can employ. The AGM-65 Maverick missile, GBU-8 HOBOS TV-guided bombs, LGB's of all sizes, general purpose and cluster bombs, rocket pods of all sizes, AIM-9 Sidewinder, AIM-7 Sparrow, possibly AGM-142 Popeye as I remember reading that Turkey was ordering the missile. Pave Spike targeting pods (would make sense for Turkey to buy the Litening too), and last but not least possibility of AGM-88 HARM. I know the Israeli Kurnass 2000 can carry this missile and seeing as the Terminator upgrade is based on Kurnass 2000, it would make sense. Who knows. Anyway, keep the pictures coming and please bring up interesting points to talk about.
    Fox-4!

Anybody know what the data-link pod for the AGM-142 Popeye is called? Also, what about the GBU-8 HOBOS? Also, where is it mounted. I thought the cenerline until I saw a picture of an IDF/AF F-4E with a Popeye under each inboard pylon and then what appeared to be a data-link pod under the starboard outboard underwing pylon. Now, I am just confused.
    Fox-4!

I am sure Feridun knows more about this than I do.. I am brain dead this week. Sorry Phantom II.

Hi Phantom Guy,

Turkey operates total of 8 RF/F-4E squadrons. 2 Recce(RF-4E) squads, 1 OCU squadron, 1 Weapons and Tactics squadron, 2 A/A Intercepter/Fighter squads and 2 A/G strike squads. So, approximatelly, 45 percent of the Turkish Air Force's fighter force depends on F-4's. Remaining 10 squadrons are all F-16 Block-30/40/50s.

In 1995, Turkish F-4's approached at end of their usefull service life, most of the THK's F-4E's made in 1973-1977,a decision has to be made, replace them with new same class airplane, which was an expensive solution since need was around 160 airplane, or upgrade some of them extensively including radar, avionics, structure and keep them until 2015-2020, at the same time, replace remaining F-4E with new airplanes when money is avaliable. Turkey opted second solution for economical reasons. Upgrade 54(2-3 Squadrons) of the Phantoms delivered fresh from Factory in 1973 and 1977 and keep EX-USAF F-4E's( 3-4 Squadrons) airworthy short period of time until a solution found for their replacement. Turkish RF-4E's are mainly Ex-German RF-4s and they are already upgraded in Germany before transfer to Turkey and most of the RF-4E have 2000-2500 hours of lifetime remaining on the airframes. They can be used at least 10-15 years more.

Turkish F-4E Terminator upgrade focused on the air-to-ground missions for obvious reasons. One reason, THK operates around 220 AMRAAM capable F-16s, there was no need to create a dedicated AMRAAM platform from the F-4Es, it would be an unlogic solution if they did. Second reason, F-16s have a very limited A/G load capacity and range problems with heavy load, F-4E are very well suited for these mission with KC-135 support, they can carry heavy loads to long ranges. Third, F-4Es proved to be good strike platform during the past 30 years, todays 3. and 4. generation airplanes are very agile and powerfull that F-4E can not keep them up in WVR arena...So, THK decision was correct, a F-4E with two man crew and good avionics can be good deep strike platform. If you want to upgrade your F-4E in A/G missions, there is only one country has had good results from the upgrade in the past. Israel's F-4E/2000 Kurnass was the solution. Turkish Terminator solution based on Kurnass but improved on some certain areas like HUD, HOTAS, INS/GPS, MFDs, Secure UHF/VHF HAve-Quick Comminication, DTC, new EW suite(New RWR, Chaff/Flare dispanser, Elisra upgraded ALQ-119 pods for current double digit SAMs), new wiring, improvements in the structure and updated J79 engines. Most important part of the upgrade was EL/M-2032 SAR and Popeye integration. This radar has increased output and larger antenna that makes it much more powerfull than Lancer and F-5 upgrades. Basically, with SAR mode targeting is very easy day or night...Popeye's can get the target information from the SAR picture and can be fired from very long ranges (app 80 km for Popeye-I and app. 150 km for Popeye-II) or AGM-65D/G Maverick can be slaved to a target on the SAR pictures. As far as I know, Turkey ordered 64 Popeye-I and 100 Popeye-II in 1997 and I suppose deliveries started already or Popeye-I's have delivered until now...There was consideration in THK to buy around 20-25 Litening-II targeting Pods for Terminators but this plan maybe postponed or cancelled economical reasons and because THK already operates 2 F-16 LANTIRN squadrons for low level attack missions. Currently, daylight PAVE SPIKE's are in use for LGB Lasing but possiblity is there for Litening-II. Derby and Pythoon-IV is also in the pipeline for self-defense in addition to Aim-9L/M and Sparrows...

"Turkish Terminator's: Poor Man's F-15Es"

Regards,

Feridun Tasdan

Hİ MR.FERIDUN;
    I AM FROM TURKEY AND I AM KEEN ON MİLİTARY AVIATON(TURKISH AIR FORCE). I WANT TO TALK ABOUT WITH YOU. THIS IS MY E MAIL: isahin77@yahoo.com
    Please contact me.thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Saleem Hatoum
    For a moment I thought you were talking about Terminator 2020 as the third in squel for Terminator and T2 movie :7
    I thought he was talking about the sequel where Terminator goes to protect Jesus ..you saw that parody?

Thread locked, being from the time when there were still dinosaurs around

Thread Information