Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: IAF- news & discussions- MARCH 2005

First pic of IAF MiG-29s carrying underwing drop tanks

http://www.thehinduimages.com/hindu/...hotoId=4210580

Also updated http://www.acig.org/exclusives/aero/Aero_India.htm

HAL built Sukhoi joins IAF

Local Sukhoi joins IAF
    SATISH NANDGAONKAR
    Ojhar (Nashik), March 21: Wing Commanders Sandeep Singh and George Thomas of the Pune-based Rhinos squadron today launched a new chapter of Indo-Russian military cooperation by test-flying the first two indigenously built Sukhoi fighter aircraft at the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) plant here.

The two aircraft, belonging to the Su-30 MKI series of Sukhoi fighters, were later handed over to the Indian Air Force by HAL at a formal function.

The chief of air staff, Air Chief Marshal S.P. Tyagi, formally accepted the Sukhoi aircraft, which are part of the first batch of over 140 aircraft that HAL has agreed to deliver by 2017 at a cost of Rs 22,000 crore.

Made in collaboration with Rosobornexport, Russia, these were assembled by HAL at its Nashik plant in line with an Indo-Russian agreement signed in October 2000.

This huge fleet will add to the existing batch of 50 Sukhoi aircraft purchased in flying condition from Russia.

The Su-30 MKI is a twin-engine, twin-seater, multi-role fighter aircraft that is simultaneously operated as an interceptor, bomber and a trainer.

At the formal handover ceremony, Tyagi said: “With the Su-30 MKI aircraft, we have for the first time entered a new era of cooperation with the Russians and are jointly scripting the success story of this aircraft. We have transited from being mere customers to co-developers.”

Earlier, he walked to the tarmac to congratulate Singh and Thomas and their co-pilots Squadron Leaders P. Lall and S. Arunachalam after the landing at the plant here, 20 km from Nashik.

The IAF chief said the Su-30 MKI programme was unique as it seeks to forge a Russian platform with western avionics and systems designed to the requirements and specifications given by the IAF.

“The avionics suite includes systems from Israel, France, the UK, South Africa, and Russia. Another first has been the successful development and integration of Indian avionics on the Su-30 MKI.”

The mission computer, display processor, radar computer and the radar warning receiver are some of the devices developed by Indian agencies like the Defence Avionics Research Establishment, Bangalore, HAL, Hyderabad; and Bharat Electronics Limited.

More purchases

The chief of air staff said the IAF is also looking for 126 more aircraft, which could include Mirage and Mig-21s among others.

“We hope to induct the first light combat aircraft by 2008-10 and the first of the 66 Hawks by 2007,” Tyagi said.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer
    More purchases

The chief of air staff said the IAF is also looking for 126 more aircraft, which could include Mirage and Mig-21s among others.
    I hope he meant MiG 29 M2's. I didn't know there was an option of further Bison upgrades.

maybe he mean the MiG-21 upgrade since IAF have a lot of those.
    What is so civil about civil war? - GnR

India to build first aircraft carrier

Work on India’s first indigenous aircraft carrier being built by Kochi Shipyards begins on 11 April, just as the Navy is setting its sights to building a second such ship in the 11th five year plan period beginning 2007.
    Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true. Demosthenes

I dont think this news deserves a separate thread, since there is practically nothing new. Except for one teensy weensy thing: there are 4 sqd. ldrs involved in the dispatch. IIRC my discussion with Jagan correctly...you only such top heavy situation when you are building a transitioning core group. This goes back to what I had predicted to Mr. Fomin's question about who has what (No.20 vs No.30) that Lohegaon seems to be having a composite sqd with lots of top heavy and lots of a/c and experience sharing.

a small correction to your post Georgeji. 2 of them are Wing Cmdrs. and Wng. Cmdr. Sandeep Singh is the CO of No.30 Rhinos. dont know about Wing Cmdr. George Thomas though. He could well end up being the CO of another Su-30MKI squadron.

MMRCA related question.

Although, IAF could opt for any of four types, i.e. F-16, Gripen, M2K-5 or Mig-29M2, the latter two are most logical choices for obvious reasons. OTOH, some some reports also mentions that India may decide to go for a mix of these two. Since India wants to purchase with ToT, and we know that ToT involves licence fee etc. as well as the fact that unit price is related to number of produced units, my question is (if india decided to go for mix option both with ToT) what sort of affect would this have on unit price and would it be worth it?
    Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true. Demosthenes

Quote Originally Posted by 21Ankush
    a small correction to your post Georgeji. 2 of them are Wing Cmdrs. and Wng. Cmdr. Sandeep Singh is the CO of No.30 Rhinos. dont know about Wing Cmdr. George Thomas though. He could well end up being the CO of another Su-30MKI squadron.
    Mea Culpa..I meant 4 sqd. ldr ++ officers (still top heavy).

HAL delivers Sukhois to IAF

The Nasik unit of the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited on Monday handed over the first batch of two multi-role fighter SU-30 MKI aircraft to the Indian Air Force.

The IAF pilots demonstrated HAL-built indigenous aircraft.

Air Chief Marshal Tyagi lauded HAL's role in manufacturing these aircraft with modern technology. HAL Chairman Ashok K Baweja handed over the official documents to Tyagi.

"We hope that HAL will strive to develop and nurture this critical area, as it will go a long way in keeping the SU-30 MKI technologically relevant over the years," Tyagi said.

SU-30 MKI is a twin-engine, twin-seater aircraft, which can simultaneously be operated as interceptor, bomber and trainer, sources said.

HAL will deliver the remaining 138 aircraft in phases till 2017-18.

Glass cockpit lay out proposed for Cheetah/Chetak helicopters

Chetan cockpit

Alouttes in Indian Service

George, I dont think 4 Sqn Ldr++ Officers in a sqn is a top heavy configuration.. can you elaborate more on what we dsicussed, ?

If there is anything of note, it is the mention of two wing commanders from the same squadron. That situation is there only when the other wing commander is a 1. 'Navigator' (Unlikely), 2. is a CO Designate of some other squadron (Possible).

Ofcourse its a different thing if the press screwed up and got the ranks wrong.

Jaganji, I'd be more inclined to believe that Wing Cmdr. George Thomas is being reared to take over as the CO of the next squadron that accepts Su-30MKIs. Since another squadron of Su-30s should be up and running within a year or two, he could be the one to take it over. Could anyone elaborate how much longer Wing Cmdr. Sandeep Singh is to stay the CO of No.30 Rhinos ?

One more thing, are the WSOs of the Su-30 squadrons pilots themselves ? or is there a separate course and intake for these officers from the fighter pilots pool ? Im assuming of course that WSOs pass the fighter pilot aptitude test and all those requirements. Could someone clarify on this ?

Yes I would also go with that conclusion that IF George thomas is a wg co on 30 Sqn strength, hes probably a CO designate.

As a matter of interest, Sandeep Singh too spent a considerable bit of time with 20 sqn in the rank of wg cdr even though wg cdr jamwal was a CO.. he was being groomed for the 30 Sqn cmd.

I understand 30 Sqn got raised last year.. so Sandeep singh probably has another two years to go..

That look like a Mirage 2000 and the pod is likely to be an Atlis...the LDP seems mounted under the RHS Air Intake...but the LGB is interesting... it appears to be a penetrating type...I think this is the first time we have this pic...Good one...

I click the the ASTe Darin II jaguar with Griffin and Paveway II LGB kits at AI2005

Quote Originally Posted by fantumfan2003
    That look like a Mirage 2000 and the pod is likely to be an Atlis...the LDP seems mounted under the RHS Air Intake...but the LGB is interesting... it appears to be a penetrating type...I think this is the first time we have this pic...Good one...

I click the the ASTe Darin II jaguar with Griffin and Paveway II LGB kits at AI2005

India imported 1000 peneterator bombs from Israel around 2001 for US$ 20,000 each for fitting with LGB kits.

Would that make 30sqn the MKI OCU, with 20sqn either OpEval or actually operational?
    Regards,

Arthur
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell

Post March 17 2005 : Losing a battle to win a war

Su-30 WSO

Quote Originally Posted by 21Ankush
    One more thing, are the WSOs of the Su-30 squadrons pilots themselves ? or is there a separate course and intake for these officers from the fighter pilots pool ? Im assuming of course that WSOs pass the fighter pilot aptitude test and all those requirements. Could someone clarify on this ?
    Yes even I wondered and asked a 20Sqn Pilot if he flew from the fron or rear and he told me " from both ". Understand there are a few Navigators who are WSOs....But info is sketchy....

Quote Originally Posted by Curious
    India imported 1000 peneterator bombs from Israel around 2001 for US$ 20,000 each for fitting with LGB kits.
    Hmm....which type ??? M2K do carry the BGL-1000 (maybe even -400 and -250) the pic could even be a BGL-1000 with penetrator warhead....

Quote Originally Posted by Harry
    First pic of IAF MiG-29s carrying underwing drop tanks

http://www.thehinduimages.com/hindu/...hotoId=4210580

Also updated http://www.acig.org/exclusives/aero/Aero_India.htm

Nice find....a Pilot told me MiG-29s are used with with three droptanks and four R-73s for longrange missions...the three additional droptanks increase
    fuel capacity by 3700 litres

Its a Paveway II with Penetrator...

Quote Originally Posted by Harry
    Atlis-II or Litening?
    Itook a closer look at the image...and find its a Paveway II LGB kit with Penetrator...on a standard British 1000LB bomb...Similar in looks to British Paveway III ELGBs ....Guys could it be we have got those ???? ELGBs with LG and GPS guidance in one unit ???

The IAF used advanced AA-12 Adder missiles that do not require continued pilot control and allow the attacking pilot to fire and fly away:
    Wrong. The AA-12, like all other active BVRAAM (amraam, mica), need the support of the aircraft radar for mid-course updates until its seeker is in range (about 15 km from the target)

The Mirage 2000s carried the active Mica missile. Aerospace industry officials said that some of the radars the U.S. pilots encountered, including that of the Mirage 2000s, exhibited different characteristics than those on standard versions of the aircraft.
    If France had sold mica to india and if the Indian mirage 2000 could use them, it would really be a big scoop.

Quote Originally Posted by vikasrehman
    MMRCA related question.

Although, IAF could opt for any of four types, i.e. F-16, Gripen, M2K-5 or Mig-29M2, the latter two are most logical choices for obvious reasons. OTOH, some some reports also mentions that India may decide to go for a mix of these two. Since India wants to purchase with ToT, and we know that ToT involves licence fee etc. as well as the fact that unit price is related to number of produced units, my question is (if india decided to go for mix option both with ToT) what sort of affect would this have on unit price and would it be worth it?
    The Current IAF CAS Mr Tyagi mentioned all MMRCA aircraft will be procured from Single Source...

Question

I believe, only the BISON could Carry the AA-12....(since MKI was not used....)

Su-30 MK-1 : AA-10
    M2K H/TH : Super 530D???
    Last edited by Hyperwarp; 24th March 2005 at 14:49.
    Important Hyper Note: I am NOT an Aeronautical Engineer NOR an Aerospace Expert, etc, etc nor do I claim to be one.
    Regards,
    Hyper McStupid

Maybe the IAF wanted the USAF F-15s to roleplay the IAF's most likely advesary, a force that is numerically and technologically inferior to the IAF?
    But what a fool believes, he sees
    No wise man has the power to reason away

-The Doobie Brothers

Talking

IAF for homegrown UAVs

The Indian Air Force today urged defence scientists to design and develop homegrown unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) to eventually replace the Israeli-made Heron and Searcher UAVs in its inventory.

"The Searcher and Heron UAVs need replacement (in the long run). If a similar one is ready from you, we are ready for that," Indian Air Force Air-officer-in Charge, Personnel, Air Marshal A K Nagalia said in his foundation day lecture at the Aeronautical Developement Establishment, a DRDO unit, involved in development of UAVs in the country.

India acquired a few years ago, Heron medium-altitude long endurance UAVs and Searcher tactical multi-role UAVs from Israel for search and surveillance and their life-time is likely to end by the beginning of the next decade.

With a theme "IAF-ADE: A user perspective", Nagalia said ADE should exploit the Nishant UAV design for armed UAV applications like a ground launched anti-radiation missile system or the sensors built target destroy system.

"Think out of the box," he said, urging Indian scientists to exploit existing designs of Lakshya, the pilotless target aircraft, which could be converted into a surface launched cruise missile or a long range tactical delivery system.

Nagalia said ADE should take the lead in building end-to-end simulator solutions, that includes full mission handling, procedures training, flying, navigation and weapons delivery, besides "real time air combat manoeuvering".

Predicting the future of warfare to be network centric, Nagalia said satellites, airborne warning systems, UAVs, fighters and sensors would be integrated with a central command and control system.

He said IAF needed indigenous warfare systems due to various reasons such as the fear of sanctions by a foreign nation,which India experienced after the 1998 Pokhran nuclear tests, obsolete technology provided by foreign suppliers, outflow of huge resources, embedded software, and problems in spares and maintenance.

Nagalia stressed on the need for ensuring that the end product conformed to specifications, easy availability of components and raw materials besides being affordable.

"We have a very wide canvas of requirements. We will make every effort to help you design products and are also willing to spare our people for the projects," he said.

Former National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL) Director T S Prahlad said the aeronautics industry had not kept pace with the space sector in India and stressed the need for defined and cohesive management structure, increased funding for R&D, adherence to agreed time frame and quality standards.

"We should devise an Indian model for success in aerospace," he said.

ADE Director MD Aravamudhan said unit was planning to build a series of UAVs and other tactical products for the armed forces.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur
    Would that make 30sqn the MKI OCU, with 20sqn either OpEval or actually operational?
    That seems unlikely Arthur. Harry mentioned in his write up on the No.30 Rhinos that its a young unit even by IAF standards, manned by a lot of new Sukhoi pilots. an OCU would be staffed by a lot of experienced Su-30 pilots. I'd be more inclined to believe that No.20 Lightnings are the OCU unit for the MKI.

US Offers Co-Production of F-18 and Nuclear Reactors to India.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/n...hp?newsid=1944

NEW DELHI: In a dramatic decision, the United States on Friday night offered the co-production of F-18 fighter jets to India.

This follows the US decision to sell a number of F-16 fighter planes to Pakistan. Indian would be licensed by the United States to produce at least six times the number of planes that would have been sold to Pakistan.

The F-18 Hornets is a two-engined long-range tactical strike aircraft and is superior to the F-16. In the United States, the F-18 is the mainstay of the US Naval airpower. The F-18 can cover several thousand miles for bombing operations and in terms of speed and manoeuvrability; it is far superior to the F-16.

In another decision, the United States has agreed to help India's civilian nuclear programme with the possible sale of nuclear reactors that would be used to generate electricity.

The nuclear energy was one of the major subjects that were discussed between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and US Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice during her recent visit to New Delhi. Although Pentagon has not make known the parameters for sale of nuclear technology to India, informed sources said that it will be worked out shortly.

Thread Information