Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 32 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrapyard Photos; Any More?

Small word. Poulter / Swift

Small small world is it not.

I used to frequent this very scrap yard not long after it re opened. I took some pics of the remaining sections of Swift XF113 at the time along with some of valiant flaps. That was pretty much all the aircraft bits that were there. I did ask at the time how much he would sell the Swift parts for. ( the remaining fueselage parts in 3 sections ) and he wanted £1000, which was a lot of dosh back in the 90's and on my small wages. So sadly I had to let it go.

Now many years later the yard is still gong but nothing remains of the original yard as was.

It also transpires that I know DR Bob Poulter as he is a customer of mine at my Airfield, he now ownes and flies an Aerotek MW5 B G-MTBR. I will drop a few key words in to a conversation with him next time I see him.

Regards
    Mark

PS. when I find the Pics of the swift bits I will post them on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    As you may be aware, TonyD holds the nose section of Swift F.7 XF113.

You may not be aware this was discovered in a yard nr Frome by Dr Robert Poulter who had is transported to his home nr Bath (along with his Seahawks) in the mid 80's.

I visited this yard in '87 and again in '95, and the rear fuselage and (seperate) centre section of XF113 were still extant.

On my first visit it was still owned by the original family concern, and was full of wing sections, boxed & greased parts, wheels, tyres etc... the old chap even claimed he had TSR2 sections from Boscombe for scrapping !! (The Swift came from Boscombe also)

In '95 it had become a car breakers, but the site was bigger than the (considerable) amount of cars they had, hence the 'aeroplane' parts hadn't yet been touched or were likely to in the near future.

However, that was then, and now health & safety rules have affected car breakers etc... so questions i'd like to ask is: has anyone else heard of the place or can shed any light on its contents ? As i've not seen it mentioned to date.

Cheers....

oh p.s. No Tony isn't interested in making his Swift whole again !
    " If a Test pilot tells you something that's so bloody complicated you can't understand it, then its all Balls "

R.J Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by Kiteflyer View Post
    Again not a scrapyard but almost, photographed at Felixstowe Ferry probably 25 years ago. Found the photo while looking for something else. Any ideas ?
    Looks like a turret ring?

Jason
    Jason Roberts

Kiteflyer, this looks to me a bit like a fuselage frame/former - Gnat?

SoGGy
    Last edited by SadOleGit; 25th August 2009 at 15:22.

Ref post #930, Meteor centre section above wing ?

Defo not Meteor.

Mark
    " If a Test pilot tells you something that's so bloody complicated you can't understand it, then its all Balls "

R.J Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by JasonR View Post
    Looks like a turret ring?

Jason
    Possibly a tail gun position of something like a Stranraer. Most front gun positions are able to slide backwards for mooring purposes and this lacks that sophistication.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Flytst View Post
    Small small world is it not....
    Indeed it is. Look forward to seeing your photo's of Ransomes.

Plankton qv. a mediocre organism for other forum bottom dwellers to feed on

Ok, some pictures I took back in Moscow in 2006 and have just come across again.

A rather crumpled Ilyushin Il-103 at Myachkova

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNV00028.JPG 
Views:	349 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	177098

A bunch of Wilgas at Chernoye

Name:	CNV00013.JPG 
Views:	402 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	177099

A view of the ramp at Chernoye with well over 30 Mi-2 and 12 An-2 visible, all awaiting rebuilding

Name:	CNV00015.JPG 
Views:	486 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	177100
    I don't want to die, because I don't want to end up like Anita Dobson - Frank Sidebottom, actually.
    Thank you

Bump!

Lost track of this one...never confirmed the location of my '95 Yale/Boly shot. The most popular guess as to where it wasn't...is correct for where it was! Nanton, Alberta, remote museum storage site on then-curator Robert Evans' farm property. May 1995. Besides the pictured Yale and Bolingbroke parts, there were more Boly sections, a T-33 fuselage, several sizeable chunks of a former range-target Lancaster X (sadly the soldiers' aim had been pretty good), a Battle wing panel, two Crane fuselage frames, and in one corner of the field an amazing "crop" of over twenty derelict Anson I/II airframes. Eventually I'll post pix of some of that.

S.

Steve, nearly all of that has moved on now. The Ansons after being spares recovered are being used in a display outsie of Nanton.
    Cheers,Peter
    "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

Scrapped Boeing B-29s are piled up on Tinian in 1946.

Fascinating picture, bits of B24 and PV-2 in there also. What is the smaller fuselage/wing, centre right, looks like it is green?
    Martin

Anyone seen where I left my H-34?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by hindenburg View Post
    Attachment 178962 So it`s not a bit of aircraft but still abit of aviation history.amongst the scrap the` greenhouse` I was told was off the top of Tarrant Rushden control tower.Sturminster scrap yard 1997
    My god is that a genuine 1980 Metro on top of that pile!!

Bograt, talk about being surounded by Choctaw!

Quote Originally Posted by pagen01 View Post
    My god is that a genuine 1980 Metro on top of that pile!!
    Looks more like a N10 series Datsun Cherry to me...

Zeb
    "I wish Bernard was here"
    "British Rocket Group has its own problems..."

Quote Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
    Zeb
    With a Montego next to it!! :diablo:
    Martin

Failed my first driving test in a Montego ! Are there any more Montego's around that could be added to the pile!

Quote Originally Posted by D1566 View Post
    With a Montego next to it!! :diablo:
    I thought it was a Fiat Strada myself...
    It is only kinky the first time...

Quote Originally Posted by Arm Waver View Post
    I thought it was a Fiat Strada myself...
    Actually... think it might be a Seat Malaga... a four door spanish version of the Strada, nee Ritmo...

I'll get my coat...

Zeb
    "I wish Bernard was here"
    "British Rocket Group has its own problems..."

Quote Originally Posted by Bograt View Post
    Anyone seen where I left my H-34?
    Near Tucson, I presume? Why are they orange...ex-training machines?
    About 6 years ago I stopped by a vehicle/helicopter/military surplus yard near the Pima musuem and I bought a rust free tailgate for my old Jeep.
    The guy asked if I wanted a H-34. He was selling restored static examples for $10,000.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by J Boyle View Post
    About 6 years ago I stopped by a vehicle/helicopter/military surplus yard near the Pima musuem and I bought a rust free tailgate for my old Jeep.
    The guy asked if I wanted a H-34. He was selling restored static examples for $10,000.
    May even have been this yard as that is in that area across the road from Pima museum. If it was the yard on the corner then it would have been "Bob's Air Park" which had a few H-34s up until it was cleared.
    I don't want to die, because I don't want to end up like Anita Dobson - Frank Sidebottom, actually.
    Thank you

Scrapyard Photos

Interesting thread indeed.

Included is a recently found picture of F-86K poss 55-4866 at Hato Int Airport , Curacau W. Antilles. Yes, from across the pond c. 1982.

The sample included is 1 of 4 F-86Ks found in one of the hangars at the Hato airport in containers that never reached for some reason the Venezuelan coast in c. 1966. The sad part of the story is that all 4 samples were placed to pasture for fire training purposes when no owners were found. Fuselages airframe were 0 Hrs!

If any of you has other pics/info before or after the burning it will be nice to know. Photo G.Hiltermann/milaviation.com. Tks

Quote Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post

Zeb
    Ha ! my thoughts too ! rare machine these days !

Quote Originally Posted by J Boyle View Post
    Yup, it's Tucson. The image was from a new book by photographer Edward Burtynsky, illustrating man's reliance on oil and the lansdcapes it has created. Thought provoking stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bograt View Post
    Yup, it's Tucson. The image was from a new book by photographer Edward Burtynsky, illustrating man's reliance on oil and the lansdcapes it has created. Thought provoking stuff.
    I saw them in september. My son took a photo of them from the road. Just down the road is a car scrap yard with a jeep on top of a building. Not far from the museum at Pima

Ryan Field 1974

Not a scrapyard as such, since they were in the business of re-building C-47s but I visited here as part of a Tour to MASDC and the surrounding areas etc. in 1974.

I won't post them all here since they already exist on the web, but I have a folder on Webshots at http://rides.webshots.com/album/562875102vMooIh showing most of the C-47s, C-53s & solitary C-117C and DC-3D present there at the time (or parts thereof - a half dozen or so were only rear fuselage sections with fins attached)

Still a sad site - I don't think too many made it.

Milnathort

Quote Originally Posted by zoot horn rollo View Post
    Anybody have any photographs of the Scottish scrapyards at Quarrywood or Milnathort? Come on, Mr Whitton, you must have some?
    I visited here on 1/11/64 - was involved in pulling flexible tanks out of Firebrand wings to read serials etc.(No - I can't remember why!!) but DID NOT OWN A CAMERA then, to my eternal regret.

Quote Originally Posted by elaref View Post
    I visited here on 1/11/64 - was involved in pulling flexible tanks out of Firebrand wings to read serials etc.(No - I can't remember why!!) but DID NOT OWN A CAMERA then, to my eternal regret.
    Glad you found your way here at long last...
    Thank you

Re request for Quarrywood photos.....

Considering what was there, I'm amazed that I only took 4 fairly non-descript photos during my Aug 1967 visit - I think 'numbers' were more important then. I remember being at the bottom of a large heap checking out an unstable pile of Vampire/Sea Vampire/Sea Venom pods that looked as if they had rolled down from the top. Fortunately someone had 'felt-penned' the serials in front of the wind-shield positions.

First photo is of a upside down Firefly.
    WANTED FAIREY FIREFLY parts!
    Griffon74@btinternet.com

Thread Information