Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: RAF Waterbeach Museum

RAF Waterbeach Museum

Today my work took me to Waterbeach Barracks. Situated next to the guard room was a building signed as the 'Waterbeach Station Museum' which had a propellor on the wall. Anybody seen inside?

I am an ex member of 514 Sqdn and served at the unit 1943/44/ I attend the reunion every year and visit the mseum . What is it you wish to ?

I was stationed at Waterbeach 1956/60. On a visit to Duxford about five or six years ago we detoured via Waterbeach to find the gate guardian was an ex Hunter 5 of 56 sqdn. I called at the guardroom to ask if I could photograph it and was then shown round the museum. Mainly photographic it covered the station from the 40's through to the 70,s - well worth the visit for a trip down memory lane.
    Peter

Waterbeach Barracks Museum (= RAF Waterbeach Museum) is open from April to September, by appointment only, via the Guardroom: 01223 204421. Please give at least 48 hours notice.

This (2012) is expected to be the last year it is open in its present building. The potential developer of the site (RLW Estates) is however keen that a museum should exist but cannot say which building might be used.

Ownership of site passes to the Defence Infrastrcture Organisation (was Defence Estates) on 1 April 2013. For details of the Army moves out, see this thread http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?p=1866026

We expect to put the contents of the museum into storage locally, probably this autumn.

Oliver

Hon. Curator, Waterbeach Barracks Museum

Visit to Waterbeach.

Hi Oliver
    I have recently discovered a relative who flew with 514 Sqn. His name was Leo Wilton R165360. He came from Canada and was a rear gunner. Unfortunately he was killed on 2nd Dec. 1943 in a raid over Berlin. His aircraft, piloted by P.O. Hughes, returned safely. Leo is buried in Cambridge City Cemetry.
    We are hoping to have a trip to Cambridgeshire later this year and would like to visit the museum. Does the museum hold any records/photos that may be of value to us? I will be taking photos of his grave to send to his relations in Canada and anything in the museum that I can copy and send would be appreciated.
    I have a personal interest in aviation matters having served in the RAF from 1972 to 1997.

Rob
    Last edited by re419; 14th April 2012 at 08:49. Reason: Typing error

re: Visit to Waterbeach

Hi Rob,

There are some photographs but no records in our museum. A history of 514 Sqn was published in 1999 called "Some of the Story of 514 Squadron: Lancasters at Waterbeach" by Harry Dison. It is 77 pages long and costs £9.95 which you can buy in our Museum.
    I don't know if your relative is mentioned.

For Canadians I would contact Wendy Flemming via
    http://freespace.virgin.net/tracy.triumph/Info.html
    as she has a database. She can also tell you how to find out about the 514 Sqn Reunions held each June in Waterbeach.

Oliver

Many thanks

Hi, Oliver,
    Many thanks for showing us around your museum last week. We were both really impresessed by all the exhibits and found it rather moving. It came to me after we had left as to why my relative Leo Wilton's Lanc wasn't mentioned in the RAF Bomber losses book you had. Although he was killed on the raid, the aircraft returned and so would not be listed as a loss.

I hope everything works out with the move of the museum to storage and any subsequent move to a permanent home.

Again many thanks.

Rob

I am currently helping write history of our school ATC squadron - 763 Kingston High School Squadron and we had our annual camp at Waterbeach in 1960. Do you know which squadrons operated from the base at that time?
    Incidentally was there a pub in the village called the Sun or something similar?
    regards
    Ben Hill

RAF Waterbeach in 1960

Hi Ben,

Quote Originally Posted by 763 ATC View Post
    I am currently helping write history of our school ATC squadron - 763 Kingston High School Squadron and we had our annual camp at Waterbeach in 1960. Do you know which squadrons operated from the base at that time? Incidentally was there a pub in the village called the Sun or something similar?
    Fighter Command were at Waterbeach in 1960, with 25 and 46 Squadrons flying Javelins.

Our museum collection is now in storage, but a new trust has been set up, Waterbeach Military Heritage Museum with a view to reopening once a suitable building on the Barracks site can be found. The Army barracks is due to close on 31 March 2013. We may be contacted by email, see webpage below.

The Sun Inn still exists at 7 Chapel Street, Waterbeach, Cambridge CB25 9HR, and there are 3 other pubs, including the Brewery Tap formerly used by airmen and Royal Engineers.

Regards,

Oliver

Oliver Merrington
    Hon. Curator
    Waterbeach Military Heritage Museum
    http://sites.google.com/site/rafwaterbeachmuseum/

514 Squadron Pilot, Stan Wilson DFC

The following appeared in a Yorkshire newspaper recently.
    "Special tribute to wartime hero"
    http://www.epworthbells.co.uk/commun...hero-1-5385255
    Epworth Bells
    6 February 2013

This concerns Acting Flying Officer Stan Wilson DFC, who has died at the age of 91. We have about a dozen members of 514 Squadron who return to Waterbeach each year for a reunion. Last year there were also about 100 relatives and friends of former squadron members.

Oliver

Oliver Merrington
    Hon. Curator
    Waterbeach Military Heritage Museum
    http://sites.google.com/site/rafwaterbeachmuseum/

Thread Information