Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Commercial cargo aircraft, what's the most efficient?

Quote Originally Posted by Bmused55
    I'd like to see a 737 landing on an ice runway.

By that I mean a runway which is actualy nothing more than a crude runway, bulldozed on top of a glacier! That would rip a 737 apart!

The 737 is approved for operating on gravel strips. The Canadians have been doing it for years up in their Northern territories....and I think an airline in Alaska also operated off gravel. There is an STC for the gravel mod kit and it was available from the factory..at least for -200 models.

Quote Originally Posted by John Boyle
    The 737 is approved for operating on gravel strips. The Canadians have been doing it for years up in their Northern territories....and I think an airline in Alaska also operated off gravel. There is an STC for the gravel mod kit and it was available from the factory..at least for -200 models.
    Thats gravel. I am more than aware of the 737's capabilities. Such models had a special vortex fence on the engines cowlings leading edge to help prevent the intake of gravel into the engines. The Nose gear also had a special deflector.

What I am talking about is a runway that is not on Terra firma. It is merely a strip of semi level ice bulldozed or in some cases hand dug with shovels on top of an ice glacier in the antarctic or arctic.

Such a runways in incredibly rough. I have only ever known props to use them.

Its possible a 737-200 could land on it, but I don't think it could stop in time due to the speed.
    Bmused55

Keep thy airspeed up, less the earth come from below and smite thee.

My Blog
    My Designs

I don't which one is the best (because it mainly rely on which criteria) but I know the one I like the most: MD11-F .
    It seems that's it one of the favorite type of the cargo operator as well.

By the way , didn't MDD (ooops sorry Boeing) have some project to convert the C17 into a freighter?

Quote Originally Posted by Hand87_5
    I don't which one is the best (because it mainly rely on which criteria) but I know the one I like the most: MD11-F .
    It seems that's it one of the favorite type of the cargo operator as well.

By the way , didn't MDD (ooops sorry Boeing) have some project to convert the C17 into a freighter?
    The MD-11 is indeed a favourite with the Freight Haulers. Fed Ex don't seem to be able to get enough of them. It may be a failure as a pax aicraft but it makes a heck of a cargo plane.
    Bmused55

Keep thy airspeed up, less the earth come from below and smite thee.

My Blog
    My Designs

Thread Information