Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monarch scheduled - no frills

Monarch scheduled - no frills

I was so dissapointed by Monarchs decision to charge for meals and reducing the quality of service offered. I often used Monarch scheduled to Alicante and recently Man - Gib. Although aircraft were charter-configured, the service was rather good what with the newspapers and free wine to accompany the meal.

I now will find an alternative even if that means using BA from Lgw-Gib.

They are now the same as all the other no-frills airlines, I hope they lose business because of this move.

No doubt Monarch will lose business from not offering meals, however they still offer the daily newspaper. Would you rather they increase the ticket prices to cover the cost of your meal?
    Not sure if you live up north, but if you did, would you really drive to LGW just because monarch didn't offer a meal? i think not. I see in a previous post that you hate BMIbaby, now its Monarch, you better watch out, otherwise yr soon run out of airlines!!!

I like my flight to be a nice experience. Part of the fun of flying, since I was a kid, has been the in flight meal. I dont like flying no-frills.

Monarch used to make a big thing in their advertising that they were low-fares but offered all the frills.

I live in Yorks, my nearest airport is LBA but I usually fly from Manchester. I would rather pay a bit more and use BA Man-Lgw and then connect to Lgw-Gib than fly on Monarch now.

Why dont you just pay the £4.50 for a meal and the £2.50 for a drink, I'm sure it will be cheaper than an internal flight.

Good point; the free food is usually rubbish anyway. I prefer a cheap flight which is what the locos offer and some scheduled carriers have followed suit. I flew MAN-BCN with Iberia back in April for £68..absolute bargain imo. OK they now charge extra for food but 5 years ago this flight would have cost @£150.

I agree, I would much sooner have the cheaper ticket and pay for my food if I wanted it. You have to remember, maybe ZB had to do this, as they may have been suffering losses.

They have lost my custom anyway. I hope no more scheduled airlines start charging for food and drink. Your wrong, by the way, I would prefer to fly BA than pay for the food and drink. It is the principle of the fact that airlines, including cheapo charter carriers have always included in-flight meals in the price of the ticket.

I didnt know about Iberia charging for food, I will avoid therm now also. Which other scheduled airlines are now charging for food? I heard Swiss charge also.

Well judging from this thread, Monarch may even gain business from this move as most people on here think it is a good move. The majority of airlines are going to go this way eventually - even the likes of the major national airlines like Iberia, as mentioned above. I'm sure Monarch will miss you very much though!

Oh, and it's only no frills if you don't buy anything!!
    Last edited by Wingflaps2; 16th August 2004 at 19:57.

A lot of the business travellers who used these, primarily leisure routes, disliked the cramped conditions onboard. I suspect they dislike the service cutbacks even more. Having to pay for meals onboard is somewhat degrading I find, hoping they have enough left for you by the time they get to your seat row!

Well Danairboy, let's hope that the BA check-in staff aren't on strike the next time you plan to fly with them MAN/LGW/GIB. And if they do or don't strike, but they win their pay award nonetheless, I hope your BA fares don't get even higher to compensate. There's no way I would be snob enough to say that "Having to pay for meals onboard is somewhat degrading" when it meant not only paying a lot more for the flight with someone else, but also having to connect at LGW. Madness in my own opinion - flying direct on a reknowned airline would do me just fine. Your pride must be much harder for you to swallow than Monarch Scheduled's delicious meals and snacks that are available for purchase, at reasonable prices. . You should also bear in mind that if you are flying to Spain (for example) on a BA flight number, you could well end up on an Iberia code-share flight and STILL HAVE TO PAY FOR YOUR FOOD!!

Also, just for further info, Monarch Scheduled's decision to charge for food on board came about after extensive on board research by way of passenger questionnaires. The majority vote was for a choice of food on board at a cost rather than the preset meal (that you might not even like!). It wasn't a decision they took 'just for the sake of it'. When it comes to competing with ones closest competitors, one cannot afford to be complacent. Recent passenger figures suggest we are still getting it very much right, despite direct well known low cost competition on most of our routes. Fares are comparable to those of our competitors but we still offer the free newspapers, pre-bookable seats, designated seating and in-flight entertainment which gives us that little bit more edge. The seat pitch isn't great, granted, but it's no worse than any other charter airline or other low cost operator who operate the same routes.
    [SIZE=1]Fly ZB - www.flymonarch.com
    AGP-ABZ/BLK
    BHX-ACE/AGP/ALC/FAO/IBZ/LEI/MAH/MJV/PMI/TFS
    LGW-ACE/AGP/ALC/FAO/GRX/LIS/TFS
    LTN-ACE/AGP/ALC/FAO/GIB/IBZ/LEI/LPA/PMI/MAH/TFS
    MAN-ACE/AGP/ALC/BCN/FAO/LEI/MAH/PMI/TFS/XRY

LGW-GIB is GBAirways franchise and what if Monarch run out of the snack/meal I want buy the time they get to my seat row? You seem very much in the know re ZB. Do they carry enough hot meals for every single pax?

Can you give me an answer Dusseldwarf? You seem to love Monarch. I used to too. Crown service scheduled flights used to be on a par with the national carriers, except for the legroom.

I dont want to have to make do with a sandwich on a 4 hour flight to TFS because they dont have enough hot meals. I want a hot meal as standard and inclusive in the price of the ticket.

Dusseldwarf & Wingflaps2 work for monarch but not directly with the a/c.

The whole notion of food on short-haul flights does puzzle me. On a train journey - say london to Manchester, you have to pay for your food, why should a similar time flight be any different? in addition danairboy, a £10 reduction in the average fare (say) and the option to purchace some food at my discretion I would say is a good deal

I doubt that Monarch carry enough hot meals to cover every passenger Danairboy, but then again this is because since before the introduction of the new menu, we discovered that not every passenger wants a hot meal. Some do, some don't. Personally, I didn't like Monarch Scheduled's hot breakfast because there were baked beans in most of them, which I can't stand. So as it happens, I was rather miffed when presented with a meal I couldn't eat. Have you honestly never opened an airline meal and then instantly turned your nose up at it?? The choice of buying something I like, rather than the lottery of getting an included-in-the-cost meal that I may or may not like is much more preferable to me and, as it seems, most of ZB's pax. Now obviously we cannot guarantee everyone their first choice, the logistics of that are impossible to crack. Constant monitoring of the popularity of each product on each flight will soon determine the average quantities we need to carry, if indeed these levels haven't made themselves apparent already. I also doubt we will carry just enough individual meals, sandwiches etc to cover just one per passenger. I'd expect there to be a buffer on popular items out of sheer common sense.
    AGP-ABZ/BLK

Yes, but they often run out of food when they get to your seat and you are left with the option of a tub of pringles! A hot meal or even a complimentary sandwich/salad is better than nothing!

well said dean i dont see the point of a hot meal on a 1hr 50 flight to majorca or costas in spain it nice when you havent had anything to eat since you left home i.e at 12am for a 6am flight but not neccesery aswell on all flight in the med except cyprus and of course long haul i.e florida,las vegas, phuket etc like it takes 20 min max to eat what they give you but they dont collect it up for a while after that giving you less space while its there monarch are now doing what other airlines have done i.e mytravel,thomson etc and i think they will gain more than they lose.

Seems like I am on my own on this one. Well, I used to enjoy a hot meal or even a complimentary salad. At least I was guaranteed something, nowadays its a case of keep your fingers crossed they have anything left to flog to you!

Well, like I said on the other thread, you can buy whatever you want in the airport and take that with you instead. That saves you having to risk getting just Pringles although, if that happens, I suspect it is just bad luck and not the norm. The other thing you can do, is pre-book your seats with Monarch Scheduled (for free) and sit closer to where you think you may have a better chance of being served quicker - just another option you have, perhaps? Is this still not better than paying more with BA and having to connect through LGW?? What could be 3 hours to GIB direct from MAN will turn out to be a lot longer via LGW and then there is always the risk that your connection can be missed at LGW in either direction.

N.B. Online prebooking of seats on ZB flights coming to an internet ZB booking near you soon!
    Last edited by Duesseldwarf; 16th August 2004 at 22:50.
    AGP-ABZ/BLK

In a word NO, I have always been loyal to Monarch scheduled, I used to travel down to LTN in the old days to use their crown service, but I am dismayed as to why they decide to go down-market and chase Easyjet and the like. They had a good product and people were prepared to pay a little more for it. Now there is little to seperate them from all the other no-frills!

With ZB, there are still the newspapers and magazines, the in-flight entertainment, pre-bookable seats, pre-bookable extra legroom seats and, of course, a generous frequent flyer scheme, Vantage Club, that makes free flights quite easily achievable. None of the above are available on our competitor from LTN and I believe only the pre-bookable seats are available from MAN with our competitor there.

Anyway, mate, I hope you can continue to enjoy flying, no matter which airline you choose. I spend most of my money on EZY these days and they are a big competitor of ours - but obviuosly I fly Monarch on the routes that we do fly. EZY simply have routes that I want to fly on from my local airport. Ryanair used to get a big chunk of my business, but then they let me down too often with cancelled flights, changed airports with two days notice whilst I was already halfway through my trip (seriously!), rude staff, unsympathetic attitude and therefore, I will now only fly Ryanair when I have no other choice. But, before I get slated for this, they did let me down badly several times, something that EZY have never done even once.
    AGP-ABZ/BLK

Whats the use of a free headset when my tummy is rumbling. I like to book holidays with Cosmos and book the Monarch Plus service, worth every penny. I certainly wont fly ZB again until I can be guaranteed a meal!

why dont you pre book yor meal????

Didnt know you could. I might try it then if I am going to get fed. I dont fancy sitting in the middle and been told they dont have anything left!

Seriously, you used to be able to book and know you would get something, it wasnt always brilliant but it was always gratefully recvd, by me anyway.

That's fair enough. I've tried my best to explain the reasons for these changes, but I understand that people have their own standards of expectation and when something you liked changes, it isn't always easily accepted. I hope that BA/GB don't let you down now or you would be stuck for getting to GIB by air!
    AGP-ABZ/BLK

Quote Originally Posted by EAL_KING
    why dont you pre book yor meal????
    ZB meals cannot be prebooked - just your seat can be pre-booked.
    AGP-ABZ/BLK

GB Airways has a proud history of serving GIB and deserve to be the main player. They have a quality economy and business product and will always attract the discerning leisure traveller and the business traveller. Monarch is fighting on cost and is losing precious regular travellers such as myself.

Before the introduction of ZB on the Man-Gib route I used GB and was always more than satisfied with the service, even though I had to connect at LGW.

As long as you are happy with your choice, that's the important thing. You still won't convince me that a reasonable amount of money extra quantifies a beef hotpot or the likes on GB Airways and certainly not when the flying time is extended due to a connection at LGW. Pay more on GB, but take 2 hours longer? Nah, I'd still choose Monarch and simply take my own grub if I didn't like the on-board set-up. I did it for years on Ryanair with out it bothering me in the slightest. Ryanair just have too many other 'totally unacceptables' for my liking nowadays.
    AGP-ABZ/BLK

danairboy

As you continue to bitch about paying for meals, i thought i would see how much yr prepared to pay for a meal. I compared a MAN-GIB round trip on ZB and GB for a random date in October, details as follows.

18Oct-20Oct
    ZB total price =£125.42
    GB total price =£217.20

So danairboy, would you really pay an extra £91 for an airline meal?

I think that has made the point rather nicely!

Thread Information