Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Isaacs Spitfire

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)

Isaacs Spitfire

OK, so it's not strictly "historic", but the design dates back to mid-60s/ early-70s, and I think it was the first attempt at a practical Spitfire replica.

Anyway, I was just wondering whether anyone might have some photos of the prototype?? I've only ever seen a handful of photos of it (most of them in John Isaacs' book) and would be interested in seeing some more if people had them.

(I'll put this in the GA forum, too)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    There is nothing to fear but fear itself. And spiders. F**k spiders.

Daren Cogdon

If it don't interest you, don't look at it!!

Daren Cogdon

Hi Daz, while not really a scaled down Spitfire to the purists I always though the Isaacs Spitfire was one of the nicest looking little homebuilts around. I think I like it because it captures the essence of the Spit but still has its own appeal. Most Spit replicas are unattactive to me because the innacuracies in them jump right out like sore thumbs. That's not the case with the Isaacs because right away you can tell it is not a scaled down Spit but rather a homebuilt inspired by the Spit. I like it!

Why thank you, Chad! Glad to see someone appreciates the little beast!

She actually visited Oshkosh back in the mid-70s, and is still flying today!

Never seen any others - not even Stateside

Daren Cogdon

I spent some time surfing the net this morning and was unable to locate any pics other than that on your web page Daz. Seems like more people would be interested in this little bird. I think there is a nice cutaway drawing in the back of the "Dutch Spitfires" book. I'd sure like to find some good drawings as I think it would make a nice flying scale model. Know of any?

I know the Dutch Spitfire historian Harry van der Meer bought a set of plans, and he was planning to build it except for the fact it was a bit on the small side. That and the engine couldn't really be changed for anything else...

Only TWO of them on the British regsiter - and I'm hoping to see the second one being built in Wales next week.

D'you know, I think there are a set of r/c plans around somewhere. When I got a copy of an article from John Isaacs about nine years ago, I had originally asked him for info as I was interested in building an R/C model myself. He mentioned a plan, too. Never got around to building it, but the idea still held! I can look it up....

Daren Cogdon

In my letter from John Isaacs, he says that Argus Plans Service here in the UK distributed plans, No. 2981, for the Isaacs Spitfire. No idea if they are still available, however, but the plans for the aircraft itself ARE still around!

Here's a pic of the second Isaacs Spit on the UK register, G-BXOM, to be powered by a Continental C-90 engine.

Daren Cogdon

Re: Re: Isaacs Spitfire

Originally posted by Mike J
    Best place for it. Is there a forum for model aircraft? You could post it there too!
    Construction of the original Isaacs Spitfire started in 1969 So surely G-BBJI now qualifies in its own right as a Historic Aircraft.

John O Isaacs also helped construct the Avro Triplane Replica which now resides at Old Warden, another model aircraft!

Lastly here's a pic of the model Hawker Fury with wings courtesy of John O Isaacs.
    Real Messerschmitts have Merlins

http://www.woodlandsjoinery.co.uk/

In that case, then, the Isaacs Fury would itself be a historic, would it not?

There's lots more of these around than Spits, though

Daren Cogdon

Argus Plans Service are now Nexus and they no longer list the Isaacs Spitfire. Their scale drawings are still available for anybody that wants to design their own model.

Thanks dhfan! I had already searched the Nexus site for plans but had not considered looking for scale drawings. Problem solved, I think I shall order the drawings. Regards, Chad Veich.

Chad, MAP/Argus/Nexus always used to have their obsolete plans available, if you knew what you wanted, from the X List.
    I remember reading that they'd sold the X List off, but a Google search brings up a site that hasn't been updated since 2001, so I don't know if they are still available.

BTW, I cheated, I searched the whole site, not just for plans!

Chad, if you're desperate I could send you an A3 copy of the drawing from the back of the article that John Isaacs sent me. Also, there's a good cutaway and three-view in there, too.

I'm thinking of getting a set of full-size plans - to make the THIRD Isaacs Spit in the UK - and wonder if anyone ever started building one but lost interest or got fed-up or what have you. If so, then there might be bits lying around, I guess.

Daren Cogdon

Daz, can you scan the 3-view for me? If so, send it to cvnkv@aol.com. Much appreciated!

I remember attending on that had the engine stop on takeoff at Wroughton around 1990, It could have been at the PFA Rally of that year, thankfully the pilot was OK but the airframe looked the worse for wear! seemed a nice little aeroplane.
    Cheers..............

Chad - will give it a shot later and send it. There's a three-view and a more detailed view if you want that, too.

Daren Cogdon

Warbird - may have been G-BBJI.

Am I right in thinking that this, and Clive Du Cros's full-size Spitfire prototyp replica, have been the only flying replicas in this country?

If so, and this is a year before 'K5054'/G-BRDV flew, then it seems more likely. G-BBJI is still going, however!

Daren Cogdon

Chad - e-mail sent, with any luck!

Daren Cogdon

3rd Isaacs Spitfire

Yours truly is going to build Isaacs Spit #3 - I'm off to order my plans!!

Daren Cogdon

Ahh, that takes me back.....with a bunch of mates I was at the PFA rally in '76 or '77, when you bought a day's membership of the PFA in order to wander round the parked aircraft.

It was getting to leaving time, and as we walked by the little Spit, its' owner/pilot (must have been Mr. Isaacs, I suppose) asked us if we would hold the tail for him whilst he hand-started it and got in (no brakes of course)

Delighted to help we were, it must have been an amusing sight for anyone watching as four strapping youths tried to find enough hand area on that tiny tail to hang on to - it only comes up to your knees!

Thanks for the memory, Daz!

Probably him, Bograt! Old gent, glasses?

Well, even if it is a bit presumptuous, I plan on having a sort of Spitfire "coming out" party when I finish her!!

I hope!

Daren Cogdon

Just found a pdf of the X list I downloaded 3 or 4 months ago. Brain failure, still don't remember finding it.
    However, no Isaacs Spitfire on it.

I sincerely hope you are going to supply us pics with your "Spit coming out" party, Daz !!
    ....We only borrow for a while, we don't keep....

Absolutely!

Mind you, just this second I found on the PPrune forums that the prototype Isaacs Spit is currently FOR SALE!!

Someone on the forum, please buy the poor thing!

Daren Cogdon

Thumbs up

BTW Daz, I went into your Spitfire4T website the other day for the first time.

Really fascinating !!!
    Didn't know there were so many "replicas" around !!!

Originally posted by DazDaMan
    Mind you, just this second I found on the PPrune forums that the prototype Isaacs Spit is currently FOR SALE!!
    I don't do proon. How much?

Moggy

BTW Daz, I went into your Spitfire4T website the other day for the first time. Really fascinating !!!
    Didn't know there were so many "replicas" around !!!
    Neither did I! I think within about three months of setting it up, there were DOUBLE the number of replicas I knew about!

I don't do proon. How much?
    Moggy - not sure, but apparently it's for sale in the March/April PFA magazine. The current owner hasn't had a chance to fly it.

Daren Cogdon

you know, no-one has done a replica Spitfire floatplane.

That would really be one to talk to the lads down at the pub about !!!

(pic from http://www.supermarine-spitfire.co.u...floatplane.htm)

Originally posted by DazDaMan
    I'm thinking of getting a set of full-size plans - to make the THIRD Isaacs Spit in the UK - and wonder if anyone ever started building one but lost interest or got fed-up or what have you. If so, then there might be bits lying around, I guess.
    Speak to the PFA sooner rather than later. They will have a source for theplans if they are available and will offer tons of advice AND you can't really make it without their input. The Rearwin restoration would have been impossible without them.

John Isaacs was a good bloke. I think I gave him his last hangover!

Melvyn Hiscock

As it happens, Sandy Hutton is coming up this way next Friday - and he's bringing my plans with him!

Daren Cogdon

Thread Information