Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Supernumerary Crew

Supernumerary Crew

Anybody know how many hours a crew can fly without a supernumerary pilot on board???
    I know all the Australia LAX flights carry one, but Australia to London change the whole crew either in Singapore or Bangkok
    Last edited by steve rowell; 2nd January 2004 at 02:29.
    Best Regards Steve

LAX to AUS would probably have 4 pilots on board. You can only work 8 hours and must have 1 hours break from the controls.

Cathay Pacific:
    Aus and NZ to honkers will have 3 pilots.
    Honkers to America, Canada, South Africa and Europe will have 4 pilots on board.
    pb::

In the UK, the maximum Flying Duty Period that a two pilot crew can be rostered to do is 14 hours (based on being acclimatised to local time, a single sector and the duty commencing 0800-1259 local time) - cabin crew can do an additional hour.
    That would give about 13 hours flight time (allowing for 1 hour pre-flight planning etc.)
    On the day of the duty, if someting went wrong, then the Captain can exercise his discretion and increase the FDP by up to 3 hours, assuming the crew are fit to operate beyond the rostered time.

So the A340-500 must have four pilots. What about the cabin crew extra staff? Probably, something like 14 work, two rest for two hours and so on?

Sorry to barge in like this but would a crew operating out of Dublin to LAX on a A330-200 need more than two pilots, I hear the flight is 13hrs long.
    Thanks for your time
    It is possible to fly without motors, but not without knowledge and skill.

— Wilbur Wright

Virgin use 3 pilots LHR-LAX and LHR-NRT and 4 pilots LHR-HKG.

Originally posted by wysiwyg
    Virgin use 3 pilots LHR-LAX and LHR-NRT and 4 pilots LHR-HKG.
    Hi Wys - might be able to help me here,

i know a fair bit on the crewing from as Ops cover for the crewing dept overnight, hence its part of my job, but our HS 748s and SD360s dont fly any sort of distance. How does the 3rd crew philosophy work, is it as simple as at some point the 3rd crew emeber allows one of the originaly crews to take a say 4 hour split duty to extend his FDP, and then once the other crew member returns (say Capt) then the f/o takes a split duty? In this case wouldn't the 3rd crew member need to be a Capt with a right hand seat rating so he could cover both positions at some point in flight? How does this work???

Would be very greatful for your help!
    Brgds
    EGNM

ahh i understand it better now - ta
    Brgds
    EGNM

Does a lot of pilots not like long-haul because of tiredness or is it boring. I always thought it would be kind of nice to do long-haul because you wouldn,t really be fighting a scheulde all day.

— Wilbur Wright

Originally posted by paul the wall
    Does a lot of pilots not like long-haul because of tiredness or is it boring. I always thought it would be kind of nice to do long-haul because you wouldn,t really be fighting a scheulde all day.

It's a personal one.

For myself I love long haul. I go to work 3 times a month. Get about 20 days off a month. When going to work you look forward to it as you will have a bit of down time to see the sights or more importantly play golf.

I sometimes bid for trips when I am running short of things such as I bid for a Joberg trip when I need to stock up on meat and golf. I did a Vancouver trip last month as I wanted some new ski boots for my skiing holiday. Sometimes I do a Frankfurt so I can pick up some sausages and cheese. I have an LA this month as we have changed the crew hotel and I can go shopping and play golf etc.

During the flight we are at the controls for about 5 to 6 hours and yes some people might find it boring but there is plenty to do. We have a very civilized meal, smoked salmon and caviar etc. (NO champers though). The 5 or 6 hours off you can sleep or go and watch a few movies.

I have done short haul as well before this job and for me I love long haul. But some pilots tell you they hate it but have never tried it.

As for tiredness, I am lucky it doesn't bother me. I stay on Hong Kong time when I am down route so when you get back I have a couple of hours sleep in the morning and wake at about 12.00 noon and I am fine, just ready for a game of golf.

All in all, I love long haul. I will have to go on to the regional side of things in a bout 18 months flying the B777 or the A330 but that will only be for approx 2 years then I can bid for long haul again.

It would be nice to hear from WD and Wysi on their views on short haul.

Skycruiser, why will you have to go back on to regional stuff for 18 months? Is there just too much demand for pilots wanting to fly the 744 so you have to take it in turns?

Interesting how in Cathay speak "Regional" means B777/A330!

Also I see a rather consistent golfing theme going on in your postings here SkyCruiser!

Originally posted by martin_EGTK
    Skycruiser, why will you have to go back on to regional stuff for 18 months? Is there just too much demand for pilots wanting to fly the 744 so you have to take it in turns?

No it's promotion. You get a totally different type of flying on the short haul fleet. once you have done some time on short haul you can then bid back on to long haul if you want.

Originally posted by Mark L
    Interesting how in Cathay speak "Regional" means B777/A330!

Also I see a rather consistent golfing theme going on in your postings here SkyCruiser!

You have got it, I love my golf....

Matthew, close, my clubs are always in the hold. They are never far from me......

Originally posted by paul the wall
    One of the many great things about a flying career is the number of different career paths available, depending on the lifestyle you desire. Initially, to get that first job, you will work for anyone, anywhere, but when you get experienced and more attractive to prospective employers, its time for some serious decisions.
    Personally, I enjoy FLYING aeroplanes (and don't play golf!). I've never done long haul, but anything beyond about 2 hrs flight time tends to drag, and I cannot imagine anything more boring than sitting behind that autopilot for hours and hours and hours.
    Also, my first priority is my family - I resent the wasted hours of my life (which are mercifully few) stuck in some hotel, quite often with a load of strangers.
    European IT from a stress-free regional airport (park outside the crewroom one minute before report time!), suits me just fine. 15-20 take offs/landings per month, home most nights (or mornings). Picking up the kids one day from school, I started chatting to one of the mums, who had seen me there so often she assumed I was unemployed - I think she found it difficult to grasp that, actually, I had quite a nice job!

Originally posted by Moondance
    Personally, I enjoy FLYING aeroplanes (and don't play golf!). I've never done long haul, but anything beyond about 2 hrs flight time tends to drag, and I cannot imagine anything more boring than sitting behind that autopilot for hours and hours and hours.
    As I said, many people don't like long haul and have never tried it. We all enjoy FLYING aeroplanes and as Moondance states there are many options available to pilots.

For me short haul was in most cases chasing your tail all day fighting a schedule, tech delays, ATC delays, early mornings and late nights followed by minimum rest before the next long day. I find long haul more civilised and have a lot more time off to pick the kids up (if I had any) than my short haul colleagues.

But hey, wouldn't the world be a boring place if we were all the same.
    Last edited by skycruiser; 5th January 2004 at 15:19.

Great set of opinons here thank you everybody

— Wilbur Wright

Thread Information