Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: What is 'Squib'?

What is 'Squib'?

What does Squib mean? I think it has something to do with the AUX. But i dont know!
    What is it?
    Thanks
    Mark

If we are talking airplanes here, and not fish, it is the charge that fires the fire extingisher bottles both on the engines and the APU. There is one squib to each bottle and they are electricly activated. When you get a fire warning (talking 737 here), you pull up on the red fire handles in the cockpit to arm the squibs and getting them ready to fire. Then by turning the handle to one side you activate the extingishers by firing the squib. There are two fire ext. bottles for the engines on the 737 and if one bottle is not enough to get the fire out you can select the other one to the same engine by rotating the the fire handle the other way around. If the fire has not gone approx 30sec. after the last bottle is fired, then it is time to start saying your prayers and get the airplane on the ground ASAP, airport or not! Also, when having fired both bottles on one engine, the other one is without fire ext. equipment. The APU has one bottle, and it is not possible to fire that one to any other engine and the bottles for the engines can't by fire on the APU.

Any questions?

What happens if you get a damp squib ?
    Go n-ithe an cat thú, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat !

everyone on board groans, of course...

It would probably dry out in the ensuing fire

Seriously, it is not something that is damp critical. Otherwise it would not be located in the wheel wells of the 73

"Two Squibs and out" policy huh?

You get two chances and if the fires still going, kiss your a$$ goodbye! LOL.

Joking of course.
    Bmused55

Keep thy airspeed up, less the earth come from below and smite thee.

My Blog
    My Designs

In case the fire was still going after two bottles I would probably use the the advise given to me by a chopper pilot friend of mine. He picked it up on training in Canada.

When everything is lost and there is no way out, unscrew the stick (joke in my case) and show it up your ar?e. It will sure give the AAIB something to think about Now...........lets see. What could possibly have been going on in this cockpit??

Talking

LMAO!
    Bmused55

Keep thy airspeed up, less the earth come from below and smite thee.

My Blog
    My Designs

thanks very much guys.

Thread Information