Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 1980s Southend

Old Fart - There is no dispute over the ownership of the B-25. The aircraft belongs to a well known operator.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fart
    G-ADXS was displayed at Stories Garage Victoria Avenue or London Road and later went to the museum

A another flea was displayed at the Palace Theatre this one was the Flea that flew accross the English Channel...scary
    If I remember rightly the flea was stored at the back of Stories Garage which was located in Alexandra steet, opposite but slightly further up from what was the old Rivoli cinema.

It is a great shame that a WW 2 vintage aircraft should be in such a sad state.

The aircraft in question spent some time at Duxford after Southend. My picture shows it being dismantled, presumably for its move to North Weald.

Cut spar very much in evidence.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The Auster should be recognised for what it is: a gentleman's aerial touring carriage and a nice aeroplane"

Quote Originally Posted by David Burke
    Old Fart - There is no dispute over the ownership of the B-25. The aircraft belongs to a well known operator.
    I could swear that I read in a magazine that there had been a dispute over the ownership.

cheers for the location goony, just could not rember where the garage was...main reason I was born in 1975!
    Pass the remote

Anybody know where the Flying Flea is now?

Latest Wrecks & Relics says Cambridgeshire under restoration....

I was told it had gone to Shoreham
    Pass the remote

Here is G-ADXS when in our museum, due to damp in the museum she was mooved to Shoreham after that we lost tack of it.

Confirm David, photograph taken in Feb 1983 and not Feb 1982

I recall DXS was to have gone to Shoreham according to some reports to hang in the terminal - but I believe it actually went to Cambridgeshire for static restoration and an alternative machine was earmarked for Shoreham. After DXS left Southend it certainly appeared again in the PFA tent at the PFA rally as part of their / the homebuild movement's anniversary celebrations a few years back.

Finaly found the news paper with the photo of the fireboming aircrat over the piuer.

Stunning picture when you think its taken in August 1976 and probably a mile from the fire!

Just been given a Nikon F100 body just need to find a lens for it at a cheep price.
    Pass the remote

Would suggest at Tamron 70-300 mm

where would I get one from?
    Pass the remote

I remember going to North Weald for the Flypast Fly-in when Diamond Lil was supposed to appear and my son and I hoisted ourselves into the B-25, which was in a terrible state internally, think I have this on video somewhere. Similarly we were able to walk round bits of the Lincoln which were very overgrown.
    Wasn't the front section of the Lincoln, ie cockpit area, originally from a Lancaster and aquired by Charles Church for his destroyed Lancaster project, and, come to think of it, what happened to the bits of Lancaster.
    I remember that day at North Weald, in his hurry to answer a phone call, Gary Numan knocked my son to the floor, of course he was very apologetic, however when there would normally have been tears, young Jack thought it was the best thing that could have happened to him that day, apart from those wonderful burgers in the Clubhouse, never did see Diamond Lil though.

The B25 was in quite a reasonable state at Southend in the late 1970's as were all the aircraft. As the Museums owners lost more and more money, the funding became non-existant and the workforce dwindled to a few. There was no money or manpower to maintain the aircraft which is why they got into the really ropey state they were presented in at the auction in 1983. The Mitchell was fitted with a genuine top turret complete with all the innards until it was loaned to LWT to provide a mould for the turret for Sally B for the series "We'll Meet Again". Sally B got her top turret in fibreglass, but the genuine example mysteriously never made it back to Southend, so an alloy plate was pop-rivetted on to keep the weather out. My guess is that someone made some money and it's probably doing the rounds on as US based B17 today.

Goimg off topic quickly...

Southend Pier has now partly re-opened the first 1.1miles is accessable £3 to train both ways and I beleve 50p to walk both ways.

The Pier Head Station destroyed, Tracks buckled and station melted!

Train or walk...

on a nice warm day its a fantastic walk but on a cold windy day like it was today its brass monekys and no pub at the end any more

not that you can get to the very end a small viewing area has been set up along with a tempary station the viewing platform lays accross the tracked which have been removed to acomdate it.
    Pass the remote

Thought you all might be intrested in the very rare photo.

Blackburn Beverley XB261 making her last landing at Southend Airport on Thursday 8th October 1971, note the now home of Vulan XL426 (top right corner) in use as a coach park and the very rare Mushroom pillbox (bottom left corner) on the otherside of the tracks at the end of the runway.

Pass the remote

Lovely picture...are there any of her making her way over to the Museum site?

Excellent shot. Any idea from which aircraft it was taken from?

Is the Mushroom pillbox still there? Also any idea what happened to the shelter on the other side of the railway line?

I spent many happy days perched on both of those plus the one on Warners Bridge at the end of 33/15!

I found some slides of my trip to Southend in the late 70s early 80s, I will endeavour to sort these out in a few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Gooney Bird
    Excellent shot. Any idea from which aircraft it was taken from?

Is the Mushroom pillbox still there? Also any idea what happened to the shelter on the other side of the railway line?

I spent many happy days perched on both of those plus the one on Warners Bridge at the end of 33/15!
    Both are still in place, the type 22 (hexagional) is situated slap bang behind XL426,

the mushroom is on railway land so access is not possible, along side the mushroom pillbox is a sealed ammo store!

Code:
    Rocketeer I found some slides of my trip to Southend in the late 70s early 80s, I will endeavour to sort these out in a few weeks
    Ace love to see them, I hope to have thr other Bev in flight shot at some point in the next week as soon as I recieve it I'll post it up,

Beleve the photoship was....

wait for it

a Cherokee!
    Pass the remote

Southend Aircraft at N.W. = Airframe Butcher

Quote Originally Posted by David Burke
    Shouldn't that last word be replaced by 'BUTCHER' -

seeing as when I worked at North Weald, I watched various WHOLE aircraft get 'DISMANTLED'.

Then uncerimoniously dumped behind HIS hangar. :diablo:

The Lincoln, 2 x C.47's, a C.119 (Boxcar) all spring to mind,

As does a conveniently 'misplaced'De Havilland Sea Vixen (in 899 F.A.A.markings)......shunted to the N.W.dispersal (where the old underground fuel tanks were)....she was cast off like an unwanted toy.

Inconvenienced by her position (& unable to shift at short notice)
    the film-set crew of the Steven Spielberg/Tom Hanks production 'Band of Brothers', decided to cleverly disguise & camouflage the unwanted 'film extra' - by placing a lengthend scaffold pole, between the booms, and over the tail-surface - then draped camo-nets, to make her look like a large-calibre gun emplacement.
    On the afternoon they were shifting the film-set vehicles, I went underneath the tail-booms - sadly studying her condition, knowing that the end wouldn't be long in coming......(she no longer exsists - of course )

Epping Forest District Council want their RAMP FEES.... (per airframe) of course......so...... break 'em up & shunt 'em out.....

Then 'well known operator' / BUTCHER doesn't have to front up :diablo: .

P.S. You've got more chance of being bitten by Queen Victoria's dog - than seeing the North Weald B.25 ('Bedsheet Bomber') being restored (dream on).

The article attached was written by my friend Douglas Gilles in 1978

Original copy replaced. I hope this can be read!!!
    Last edited by Robert Whitton; 10th January 2006 at 10:03. Reason: Original Picture poor quality
    Robert Whitton,
    Edinburgh, Scotland

Robert, I am not able to read it!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Whitton
    The article attached was written by my friend Douglas Gilles in 1978

Original copy replaced. I hope this can be read!!!
    Ah, Scottish Air News. That brings back memories of CSAG Committee meetings and the perpetual semi-friction between the Glasgow and Edinburgh factions. I might even have been on the editorial team back in 1978...
    I don't want to die, because I don't want to end up like Anita Dobson - Frank Sidebottom, actually.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Hornchurch
    Shouldn't that last word be replaced by 'BUTCHER' -

seeing as when I worked at North Weald, I watched various WHOLE aircraft get 'DISMANTLED'.

Then uncerimoniously dumped behind HIS hangar. :diablo:

The Lincoln, 2 x C.47's, a C.119 (Boxcar) all spring to mind,

As does a conveniently 'misplaced'De Havilland Sea Vixen (in 899 F.A.A.markings)......shunted to the N.W.dispersal (where the old underground fuel tanks were)....she was cast off like an unwanted toy.

Inconvenienced by her position (& unable to shift at short notice)
    the film-set crew of the Steven Spielberg/Tom Hanks production 'Band of Brothers', decided to cleverly disguise & camouflage the unwanted 'film extra' - by placing a lengthend scaffold pole, between the booms, and over the tail-surface - then draped camo-nets, to make her look like a large-calibre gun emplacement.
    On the afternoon they were shifting the film-set vehicles, I went underneath the tail-booms - sadly studying her condition, knowing that the end wouldn't be long in coming......(she no longer exsists - of course )

Epping Forest District Council want their RAMP FEES.... (per airframe) of course......so...... break 'em up & shunt 'em out.....

Then 'well known operator' / BUTCHER doesn't have to front up :diablo: .

P.S. You've got more chance of being bitten by Queen Victoria's dog - than seeing the North Weald B.25 ('Bedsheet Bomber') being restored (dream on).
    There are some fair points here, but the B25 is NOT owned by the person you are alluding to!

I too looked at the Vixen, but concluded it was not viable for my purposes.

Bruce

The Vixen had also been sold at one time, going back 12 years or so now....

Officially Chesham Bucks, but most often lurking in a hangar at Bicester...or Sywell!
    I've been meaning to dig these out and post them for some time. Taken at Southend Museum in July 1974. I'm sure the aeroplanes have all been discussed at some length already so I won't name check them all again. The cockpit shots are the Anson XIX and ex-RAE Beverley.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southend01.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	109945   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Southend 02.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	109946   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Southend 03.JPG 
Views:	174 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	109947   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southend04.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	109948   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southend05.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	109949  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southend06.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	109950   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southend07.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	109951   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southend08.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	109952   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southend09.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	109953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southend10.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	109954  

Last edited by GASML; 11th January 2006 at 11:04.

GAMSL's piccies

Now they have brought back the memories....

Thanks GAMSL

Paul F

What happened to the autogyro like thing painted green "above" the Skeeter?
    It is only kinky the first time...

Officially Chesham Bucks, but most often lurking in a hangar at Bicester...or Sywell!
    Just reposted the first ten in a more viewable format.

Here's the others.........

Isn't the 'Gadfly' autogyro now at Weston Super Mare?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southend11.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	109955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southend12.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	109956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southend13.JPG 
Views:	187 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	109957   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southend15.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	109959   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southend16.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	109960  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southend17.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	109961   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southend18.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	109962   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southend19.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	109963   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southend20.JPG 
Views:	174 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	109964   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southend14.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	109965  

Last edited by GASML; 11th January 2006 at 11:12.

Thread Information