Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: 1980s Southend

I am sure that this was one of the early displays in the room at the north end of main display hall.
    Does look like the guy from halstead museum in the big book

PS not Bill Gent

It is definitely not Bill Gent or Stan Brett and it doesn't look to me like the Southend museum. I am sure the display cases at Southend were lower and better quality then the ones in the picture. Sorry can't shed any more light on it.

I'm still convinced that the photo is of Ken Anscombe and is taken at the Halstead War Museum.

As WJ244 says, the cabinets don't look familiar as far as Southend in concerned. Certainly not Stan Brett, because of the lack of Stan's trademark woolly hat!! Don't think I ever saw him without it!

Regards;
    Steve

I seem to remember the display for some reason being Southend. the ceiling grid is same as. never been to halsted museum so cant of seen it there.

Could it be in the part that became the DeHavilland Suite the celing looks the same from my visits to the stamp fairs they held there 10-15years ago...

They still had a small display fixed to the wall inside the entrance of the Westcliff Meteor crash at the time. Sadly I don't know what happened to it as it would have been a superb thing to display at the central museum or the proposed £35million museum on the seafront, which is planned to have a Second World War feature.
    Pass the remote

I can tell you what the Meteor crash sounded like-will that help?

I helped Stan and David, Bill Gent and probably others fill the cabinets in the display hall on the north side of the museum building in the days leading up to the launch. I remember we were there until at least midnight on the last night before the opening, much to the annoyance of my parents who weren't too pleased with me for leaving it that late to cycle home. Some of the showcases originally featured models built by Stan and David from plastic kits.
    Stan was the first person I ever met when I turned up to ask about volunteering and I am pretty sure that he didn't have a hat that day but I do seem to remember that it wasn't long afterwards that a wooly hat becoming a semi permanent fixture on his head. I always found Stan to be a kind and generous man and it was a privelige to have know both Stan and David.
    The ceiling in the pictures could be Southend but the ceiling is a pretty standard suspended ceiling which could be anywhere at all. I don't remember any pillars in the small exhibition hall (although there were definitely pillars in the hangar area) which makes me even more doubtful that it is Southend. The cases are definitely much too crude to be the original cases from Southend and I always believed that the same cases were used until the display area was closed.
    Incidentally the original De Havilland Suite occupied the first floor at the north end of the museum and had everything to cater for functions including its own kitchens but I believe it was later extended into what had been the display hall as well.
    Last edited by WJ244; 26th March 2012 at 14:51.

Not sure if this has been posted before but it's a great shot, nevertheless

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---...de2a0d3beed0f9

Quote Originally Posted by Propstrike View Post
    Yes, it was sent down for 15 years on 'grooming charges'.

As for that Fiat , it was at DX in about 94, utterly derelict , stripped and knackered.
    Janie asked what happened to the boy on the right. Well all I Googled was "Southend Robot" and posted a link to the Pic.

Looked at the guy`s Flickr pictures, then realised he lived about 100m from my then house and is still a keen photographer..small world.
    Jamie

Ex - Aircraft Engineer - British Air Ferries

SND 80's

Some pics taken early 86.APEX donated a rudder and other parts to a 'wheels up casualty' IIRC.APEX and APWA 'guarded' the maint site for a long time.
    Great place to be around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SND 86 XT575.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	207944   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SND 86 G-APEX.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	207945   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G-APEX APWA SND 86.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	207946  

For the Facebookers amongst you, there are some cracking shots of the Beverley on the London Southend Airport Then and Now page.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...count=1&ref=nf

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...e=1&permPage=1

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...e=1&permPage=1
    Last edited by --o-o-O-o-o--; 3rd December 2012 at 14:43.

Quote Originally Posted by --o-o-O-o-o-- View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted before but it's a great shot, nevertheless

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---...de2a0d3beed0f9
    Nice photo. This must have been taken shortly after it flew over our house in
    Eastwood Road, Rayleigh ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie-Southend View Post
    Janie asked what happened to the boy on the right. Well all I Googled was "Southend Robot" and posted a link to the Pic. ....
    Thanks Jamie. Sorry I took a long time to reply.
    Thanks to everyone else too for making this such an interesting thread. Keep it up!
    de Havilland forever!

FYI There is a page on Facebook called London Southend Airport Then & Now
    http://on.fb.me/1ejqjKg
    de Havilland forever!

Sorry to resurect an old thread (again!) but going through some of my late Father's stuff I found an old Museum Brochure, one of the guys on the SEN Facebook page was one of the models!

and finally painted-n Red Arrows!!
    J Atkins - A PPL once More!

Are you an Aero-ist? Then fly with style at www.aero-ist.co.uk

Haa.. as a little lad, we used to hide in that pillbox, quickly duck out when a train was coming and put pennies on the line.. more money than sense eh !! :-) Awesome photo btw..

Great brochure. I love the description of the Mignet as a "Fleeing Fly"!
    Armchair enthusiast, but also a fan of sofas and recliners.

In the beginning and at the end

Pics 1,4, and 5 the opening ceremony

Pics 2 & 3 the end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image (18) (744x1024) (581x800).jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	242.0 KB 
ID:	235566   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image (19) (743x1024) (580x800).jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	239.3 KB 
ID:	235567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image (20) (665x1024) (520x800).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	235568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image (17) (730x1024) (570x800).jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	235569   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image (16) (712x1024) (556x800).jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	242.7 KB 
ID:	235563  

Last edited by STAN05; 26th February 2015 at 08:00.

Old thread revival, apologies, but best place for this.
    It didn't sell, free to a good home, PM me your name and address.
    Would be a shame to throw it out...

Southend Aviation Museum guide

John
    Toodlepipski

Hi John;

PM sent!

Best regards';
    Steve

PM also sent...............Mike B

Wading back through this thread was really good but I note with interest the user names not seen here anymore.
    I am guessing some lost interest, some have past on and some forgotten their passwords !
    Seems such a long time ago but then it does not, I can still smell the museum and of course the Beverley which had that 'old aeroplane smell'
    happy days

Morphett Vale, 30 Klm's south of Adelaide, South Australia
    FWIW, all RAF transports and bombers had that distinctive smell. Fighters, however did not. Probably due to the the open cockpits which got thoroughly aired every day.
    Re the Museum Brochure, it shows a picture of children in the cockpit. That, unfortunately was the most evil thing the the museum allowed. When I visited her, mindless kids had smashed everything they could. I had company in the cockpit(strangers) so I didn't open the coffin to see if George had survived the vandalism.

In the early days there was always someone in the Beverley cockpit and a couple of attendants walking around the building and grounds. I worked there both as a volunteer and full time during school holidays and spent many hours sitting up there in the cockpit supervising visitors with every possible entrance open to try to make the heat bearable.
    Later on money got tight and eventually all the attendants got laid off so vandalism became more common. The Anson and the Gemini both got damaged. I am pretty sure that the vandals managed to murder George along with a lot of other damage to the Beverley. Unfortunately they found the fire axes were ideal for wrecking things - A great shame as we were very proud of the Beverley when she first arrived.

As my own postscript to this thread; the restoration of the cockpit of G-AGPG "Aggie Paggie" was finished (barring some small bracketry and and a painted cheat line) last year and it now proudly resides at the Avro Heritage Museum at Woodford in Cheshire - a place the aircraft visited on many occasions whilst in service with Avro's and why, amongst the old boys there, that she is greatly revered.

Phew, what a restoration it was. It was the worst thing I have ever (and probably/hopefully will ever) tackle. It was a complete basket case and I have vowed to never again to restore a steel tube, wood and fabric aircraft again! I just hope that for those who visit the museum and take a seat in Aggie Paggie's cockpit, that they enjoy the experience and, for those that knew her before, celebrate her return from near-extinction. It's a pity that the whole aircraft couldn't have been restored but, you know what?, there had been dedicated hearts and minds before I ever got involved who decided that it was no longer viable. When you need to change a complete steel tube fuselage to give your restoration structural integrity then you no longer have the original machine.

As Ken Ellis aptly said at Cockpit Fest last year (2016) "It's great to see this old machine once again and it is one which, in it's forty-odd years after retirement, has been badly let down by the so-called preservation movement". Aggie Paggie went to the museum at Southend in 1972. It left, ten years later a wreck and from then on it was passed from pillar to post and ended up as it did. I was extremely proud to accept from Ken the Peter Green Spirit of Cockpit Fest Award at the 2016 Newark event and felt that I had done my bit in saving what was left. Hopefully, at least the cockpit will now live on for many year's yet. The flying surfaces went to a Mk.1 restoration project and, as far as I am aware, they are still in storage awaiting the day the project is finished.

The aircraft's port engine is in the final stages of restoration with forum member AGPGPORT but a mile from where I restored the cockpit in deepest Lancashire. A certain amount of project creep has resulted in a complete engine installation, including undercarriage, all working, being completed and trailer mounted ready for a running/functioning display at shows. Dave, the owner restorer, has a few pressing medical issues at the moment but when all that is resolved he will be applying the finishing touches for, hopefully, engine runs at summer's end. I wish him well and have no wish to steal his thunder so... watch this space.

And finally; Southend Museum. I certainly didn't appreciate what a gem we had down there, until it was too late. It is a shame to hear of those airframes that didn't make it but, by the same token, those that did and now rest in secure homes elsewhere.

I'd post a few pics of Aggie Paggie now but find this latest forum picture posting program impossible to work with (please make it easier to use for the non-computer savvy types like me to use. Facebook, etc, can do it, why can't you?!). Try Googling [Avro Heritage Museum], I believe you may find a few pics in there.

Anon.

Anon;

What can I add except to say "well done" on an amazing effort and I'm certainly happy that Aggie Paggie lives on. The award was amply deserved. I must try and visit her at some point in the not too distant future.

The Southend museum was a gem. I grew up with it in my back yard and visited there a lot. I think it probably fueled my passion for historic aviation, and I just wish I hadn't been too young to get involved myself. However, I did at least follow Stan and David Brett to the Rebel Air Museum and gave 15 years there.

WJ244. Next time I'm back in the Motherland, it would be great to grab a beer and talk about the museum and the people and compare notes!

Best regards;
    Steve

would some aeroplanes not be around at all if the museum had not been started? B.25 the Einkell Anson Lincoln etc?

Thread Information