Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Centralised Servicing (Coningsby February 1964)

Centralised Servicing (Coningsby February 1964)

I am working on the assumption (rightly or wrongly) that with the introduction of centralised servicing at the various V Bomber bases in 1964, the individual squadron logo was removed from the tailplane as the aircraft was now part of the station pool . This made me wonder whether a station logo was introduced to replace the squadron ones.

If such a logo was introduced, can anyone point me towards an example of a Coningsby one and a Cottesmore one

Apologies if I am way off beam on this one ...... if I am, could someone put me back on the straight and narrow.

Regards

Pete
    Researching:
    • The loss of Lancaster ME334
    • The history of No. 35 Squadron
    • Aircrew and Groundcrew Training WWII

I was part of the Centralised servicing Squadron, servicing No 9, 12 and 35 aircraft at both Coningsby and then at Cottesmore when we moved en-mass in 1964. I only have one photo from those days when I did a detachment to Malta with 'Foot and Mouth' (the winged Horse) and there are no badges on the fins.

John

John

Thanks for the feedback. Are you happy for me to include the photograph on my History of No. 35 Squadron site (credited to your good self of course). If so, do you have a date for it? Any other memories or documents that you would be willing to share would also be well received.

Also, why was the squadron logo known as "Foot and Mouth"?.

Regards

Pete
    Last edited by Petet; 13th August 2017 at 09:45.
    Researching:

I don't have access to my copy of Wings of Fame today, but I'm fairly certain that none of the Coningsby or later Cottesmore aircraft ever carried any wing badge on the tail. However they may have carried a smaller version on the crew access door.

I don't think any of the jets that were at either Finningley, Scampton or Waddington had anything either, other than a badge on the access door. The Waddington wing jets did of course carry the City of Lincoln crest on the fin.

Certainly none of the 35 Squadron aircraft regained a unit badge in the late 60s early 70s, around the time they moved to Akrotiri. I think they only regained unit badges once they got to Scampton.

Tim

Thanks again for the feedback.

I think the stylised 35 logo was introduced at Scampton (as you say, when the squadron returned from Cyprus) when it regained its own aircraft and maintenance crews. I was told the other day that the logo was affectionately known as "Skyhook"

Regards

Pete
    Researching:

Pete
    Please do use the photo. This is a period of which I have every little.

To quote John Buchan, 'Memory hold the door', well in my case with my early RAF days it's only just ajar.

It must have been taken I think on a Sunspot detachment to Malta in 1967/1968 as the Vulcan's were transferred from Cottesmore to form the Cyprus Wing soon after (Jan 1969).

I was then initially posted to St Mawgan but I swapped postings with a colleague who was a Cornish man and so I took his place on 231. OCU (Canberra's) who were coming to Cottesmore from Bassingbourne. After a few months on 231 I was offered a posting to Malta and went there in late 1969.

Prior to the Vulcan's, I had served at Coningsby with the resident 9 and 12 Sqn's (Canberra's). 35 Sqn (ex Upwood I think) joined the cadre Coningsby wing in Dec 1962 prior to the move to Cottesmore in Nov 1964 as Coningsby was to be the new home of the T.S.R.2.

The 1962 to 1964 period was I recall a bit disjointed as we lost the Canberra B.6's prior to the arrival of Vulcan B.2 and for a time we had no aeroplanes and sod all to do. I also went on my fitters course at some point.

Whether it was historical or not, I don't know, but the Coningsby crew room scholars, dubbed 35's motto, Uno animo agimus ( We act with one accord) as "One agitated animal" and it's, winged horses head badge, was known to us as 'Foot and Mouth'.

With Centralised servicing the ground crew became totally divorced from the identity and esprit de coeur previously the cohesiveness of squadrons and so we adopted the motto, 'Mind over matter', (They don't mind and we don't matter).

John

For the Vulcan days I recommend the book The Vulcan story by the late Tim Laming (aka Tim McClellan)
    Last edited by John Aeroclub; 14th August 2017 at 07:54.

"With Centralised servicing the ground crew became totally divorced from the identity and esprit de coeur previously the cohesiveness of squadrons and so we adopted the motto, 'Mind over matter', (They don't mind and we don't matter)."

Same applied on transports, Brize 53 Sqdn. & 10 Sqdn., Fairford 36 & 24?
    " I'm not young enough to know everything." - J M Barrie 1903

"With Centralised servicing the ground crew became totally divorced from the identity and esprit de corps previously the cohesiveness of squadrons". Totally echoed around the Service as a morale crusher inflicted by bean counters from that "other Air Force". No longer "your aircraft" which you maintained to support "your Squadron".
    "Anything which cannot be put on a balance sheet cannot be supported".
    Yes, like people PVRing( and thus the RAF losing accumulated skills and experience ), Serviceability problems driving SEngo's to have to push hard to get the morning line stats to meet demands that previously would have been met from the willing Squadron Spirit . I think most of us ex-serving folk of a certain vintage could draw parallels from our respective experiences.

Thread Information