Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: BOB 2018

BOB Film 2018

Hi All,
    With the recent successful 'Dunkirk' film having some rave reviews I thought I would start this thread as someone had mentioned 'Ridley Scott' being involved with a BoB remake on the 'Dunkirk' thread. It was the image below courtesy of https://www.facebook.com/2015HAC/ That took me to the BoB 2018 Facebook page, looks like HAC are throwing their hat in the ring already Whatever the outcome I wish them all well if this actually crosses the finish line as so many projects start with good intentions only to fall at the final hurdle sadly, anyway fingers crossed.....

Facebook page dedicated to the film makes for interesting reading and who knows with the success of 'Dunkirk' who knows we could possibly have a flurry of 'Hollywood' backed war movies either remakes or new based on factual rather than the smaller independent films that have been the mainstay of recent WWll films....

Scroll down to the bottom of the page for all the posts and timeline since the announcement (Apologies if Facebook page already posted elsewhere)

BoB 2018 Facebook:- https://www.facebook.com/honorthefew/

Geoff.
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 12th August 2017 at 08:01.

I think that image has just had the inscription wishfully added by a third party - not HAC!

However, as to the likelihood of the film.

Yes.
    Editor: 'Britain at War' Magazine

A 'Key Publishing' product - Britain's Best Selling Military History Monthly

A few squadrons of MkVs would have been very useful during August 1940

Hi All,
    Andy - It was done by this chap below,(From the HAC Facebook page)

"Group member Andrew Heaps capturing the MKV Supermarine Spitfire in full flight. Hollywood take notice"......

Geoff.
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 12th August 2017 at 10:40.

Especially with working 20mms
    "If the C.O. ask's you to be Tail End Charlie...just shoot him!!!....A Piece of Cake.
    http://spitfirea58-27.blogspot.com.au/

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Not beyond the realms of reality - some Spits did operate (briefly) with 20mm cannons during the battle....
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

I hope this turns out better than I found Dunkirk to be. It's a hard one to beat the original, so many great names were in that and there were other sub stories, I just hope it doesn't end up as an hour or more of just well shot aerial footage of Spitfires
    Officially now a pensioner

So, if we do see a new Battle of Britain movie, what would you like to see? A movie that covers all aspects from command downwards? Or maybe from the perspective of an airfield, or squadron, or maybe an individual? Just curious so thought I would ask.

I'm pretty happy with "Hope and Glory" meself! (But an hour of well shot Spitfire footage sounds good, too.)

I'd like to see a bigger budget version of First Light.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Which Duxford hangar will they blow up in this one ?

Why not do one of the first "Battle of Britain"? 15th August 1940 when 100 plus Luftwaffe aircraft tried to bomb North East airfields?Remember this?

In limbo between Northamptonshire and Yorkshire
    Quote Originally Posted by DazDaMan View Post
    I'd like to see a bigger budget version of First Light.
    In this particular case I'd rather not. I thought it reflected Geoff's story and the wonderful book to perfection. Bigger budgets do not always mean better films.

Hi All,
    What about this then ? :- Did the Battle of Britain begin over Orkney in April, 1940? In the book 'Luftwaffe Over Scotland' written by 'Les Taylor'
    he looks at how the war was fought over 'Scotland' on all fronts, I think he raises some interesting points that goes against the established history of
    what happened especially regarding the beginning of the 'BoB'.

Geoff.

Just don't "hollywoodise it "

Ridley Scott is his actual name, Scotland is the country's actual name, and I'm guessing Les Taylor is that man's real name too - you don't need to use 'quote marks'!

Has someone confirmed Scott's production is a remake of the Guy Hamilton film? I keep seeing enthusiasts say so but am yet to read anything official stating it.
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

I don't believe it will be a remake - the title is simply Battle of Britain. Just like Chris Nolan's Dunkirk was not a remake of the 1958 film, despite the title.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

DONT JUST SIT THERE, GET ONE UP !
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

If a new Battle of Britain film is made, then the people involved could do worse than to see it through the eyes of a particular Squadron, rather along the lines of the brilliant Spielberg/Hanks/HBO production of Band of Brothers which followed the participants of Easy Company, 506th regiment of the 101st Airborne Division. I would suggest that the squadron chosen should be 501 as they fought in the front line for the entire period of the battle. With many characters on the Squadron that were led by a charismatic Squadron leader, there would be more than enough to build a story line from.Also by the time that production should start, there would be an actual Hurricane brought back from the dead that flew with 501 during the Battle itself.....Just one request....no ruddy stupid love interest!! :-D

If I were to chose between two books to have films based on them, then I would go for Alfred Price's The Hardest Day or Alan Deere's Nine Lives. Both would make great films.

Just an opinion of course!

Vote here for Nine Lives for sure.
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

.....Just one request....no ruddy stupid love interest!!
    Can I add;
    Period haircuts
    Actors of the right age for the parts played
    No modern doors on old buildings in shot (My biggest gripe about BoB 68)

Hi All,
    K5054NZ - Terribly sorry old bean I forgot the grammar police also viewed this forum....

Geoff.

Finally got around to seeing Dunkirk last night - I was blown away by the flying sequences! It's certainly interesting how much has come on since 1968.
    Armchair enthusiast, but also a fan of sofas and recliners.

Thread Information