Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: The Go Compare "Rapide"

The Go Compare "Rapide"

At the risk of getting shot down in flames could I ask if anybody on this forum was involved with the Go Compare " Rapide". Obviously a lot is done with CGI but in the first round of commercials there appeared to be at least a mock-up of a 2-seat (!!) cockpit and the externals looked pretty good. In the latest round the 3-ship is obviously CGI but the "dancing on the wing" sequence looks pretty real. Is there a full scale mock-up somewhere? I must tell my chums at Classic Wings that they shouldn't emulate the "fly-through" of Tower Bridge.

I haven't taken a great deal of notice of it but it's only a Rapide after a lot of pies. I suspect it's all CGI.

Well crafted ad with a 1930s appeal.

Appears to be a DH86 with two engines..

John green

have you seen it? It's one of the most irritating ads on the TV. Mind bleach required

For those of us in the Antipodies, could one of you post a clip on the Forum??

To be fair to John, advertising standards were as abysmal as they were lax in the '30s:

I don't think any real aircraft, or bits of aircraft, are featured in this video. The opening shot looks like a model, but I think some effort has been made to CGI the aircraft to look intentionally toy-like. The instruments in the cockpit look entirely flat. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing was created using green screen, with a pair of actors sitting on chairs.

I understand that some find it annoying; Mrs. G among them. It's an ad. A piece of frivolous imagery from the ad men.

A bit of background from Framestore who made the adverts...

https://www.framestore.com/work/gocompare-portfolio
    Pete Buckingham
    Former RAF Engineer
    Volunteer in Aviation
    http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

As any fule kno the Rapide has only one driver, and only one seat at the pointy end!

And this is 'Historic Aviation'?
    Last edited by avion ancien; 12th August 2017 at 21:11. Reason: Error corrected!

In limbo between Northamptonshire and Yorkshire
    Quote Originally Posted by L4x2 View Post
    John green

have you seen it? It's one of the most irritating ads on the TV. Mind bleach required
    Seconded!

Might be mind numbing and irritating but people on here are talking about it - so job done

Thanks "Hunter XF 382". So it would appear that the cockpit mock-up was the only hardware that was produced but the CGI stuff was quite impressive.

"Might be mind numbing and irritating but people on here are talking about it - so job done"

I disagree , we are talking about the errors to be found on the supposed aeroplane and not whatever product this company is trying to sell, Whatever it is. The few programs we will watch on commercial TV are preferably recorded so adverts can be fast forwarded out. It's amazing how much time can be saved and much less irritation.

John

You have to admit though, the advert acheived it's aims.
    We are all talking about it.

In limbo between Northamptonshire and Yorkshire
    No, I don't think so - the discussion here concerns the aviation aspect of it rather than endorsement of the advert per se.

I feel that the advert was designed to capture the style of biplane travel in a quirky way ,almost cartoonish which fits the house style of Go Compare as known by millions.Accurate depictions tend to merge into the background and thats the opposite of what adverts on TV need in these days of quick looks.Look at the way saturated colours are used, this has indirectly led to the over use of the HDR method by many who post pics on line. Accuracy and advertising visuals seldom go togetehr.

The fellow only asked, so no need to be rude to him. But yes all of those ads are irritating.
    pb::

Re post 18, the aim of the advert is to raise awareness, so it has acheieved its aims. They don't care what you say as long as it's in your mind next time you go looking for insurance, gas, electric or whatever

How much better would the film Dunkirk have been, had the people who made the Go Compare ad been involved !

Of Course John..."Dunkirk..The Musical..." and directed by Mel Brooks...

Now you're talking.

Thread Information