Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: RIAT FAIRFORD 2017 EXPERIENCE

RIAT FAIRFORD 2017 EXPERIENCE

RIAT-Fairford Airshow has been for numerous years now the highlight of the year for my family. We have
    always been use to having relaxing enjoyable day (s) out there. But this year each time we were literally overwhelmed by photographers hell bent on getting their photos regardless of who else was around them. One for example with all his gear, though politely asked, refused to move to let my wife in her wheelchair out. Really made to feel 2nd class by him.
    What on earth takes over guys like that with their cameras and gear?
    What is this self-centered attitude now with so so many of them.
    The Fairford air show was a relaxing entertaining family day out for all! Are those days now gone? – Unfortunately it appears so.
    Terry

That unfortunately is a fact of life. With a lot of photographers, all that matters, is getting that shot.
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Terry,

I am a photographer (with all the gear and some a lot bigger than most peoples) and trust me we are not all like that, what is little consolation to you or your good wife, I asked a photographer if he would let me slip in to get a shot of a parked aircraft and then let him back in, as 99% of photographers and crowd members will do, steadfast refused, even though he wasn't taking any or indeed doing anything at the time, so we all suffer fools sadly. I always try to treat people as I would expect to be treated myself, indeed if I sense or see someone behind me trying to take photos or see stuff I often say do you want to slip in so they can get their shots, we all paid to get in, so as far as I am concerned we all should be able to view the aircraft we have come to see..

My biggest pet hate though has to be people that clutter the display line up with folding chairs and then disappear off for hours at a time thinking that by leaving a chair in place it is their God given right to take up large sections of the display line ( rather like beach towels ).
    I was at one show and I slotted in beside one of these rows of about 5 empty chairs in the space that was there and then as the show started about an hour later, I had them turf back up and moan that I was obstructing their uninterrupted view along the display line as God forbid I was standing up. They then spent most of the display chatting about various garbage not related to the show, nor watching it.

As far as I am concerned there should be signs along the display like stating unoccupied seats will be removed.... and don't get me started on tents and wind breakers, they should be banned.... nothing against people taking seats, just those that remain unoccupied for large periods of time, one show I was at they remained empty for 3/4's of the flying display, thus depriving those that came to watch the show, display line access.
    Last edited by TonyT; 2nd August 2017 at 10:19.

Like all hobbies there is a fringe group of people who let the hobby take over in a big way. Not an aviation phenomenon or a photography one, fortunately or unfortunately. I was speaking to a bloke at work who wanted a big colour printer. When I asked why, he said it was because he was into photography. When I probed further it transpired that he was really into photographing show jumping events. From having an ex girlfriend who was training to be a vet, there are plenty of weird individuals in the horse sphere as well.

Likewise I was at a corporate function at the zoo a few months ago, and there was a crazy animal woman there, who totally monopolised a 'handling' event and insisted on being the only one who could hold the animals. She photographed each one, and insisted on knowing their "names". Most of these animals were so small and insignificant that their names were basically serial numbers. The giant millipede is called X132/45b, but she had to know this and write it down!

There are people who lack even basic social skills, and who have to do the thing. In your case it is photograph aircraft, or "bagsy" the best spot for photographing aircraft. For the woman at the zoo it was being able to handle and hold every animal, because she just loves animals, even if it means kids miss out on the same experience.

********s, in other words.

Yes, we've all met them
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

I know them too, years ago I was invited to tag along at a corporate team bonding have some fun paintballing session and a female manager just couldn't let the girls and guys have fun, she was bleating out insane orders and had no clue, getting the team killed left right and center and they bless them were taking it because in a sad way they had to.

Anyway she hopped out of the trench, bleated her orders at me as If i was something she stepped in, turned to go forward and I shot her in the **** from about 20 foot.... everyone winced as she retired to the dead pit rubbing her cheeks... we had a good day after that and I was promoted from zero to hero I bet she didnt sit down for the rest of the day. you could say I removed the pain in the ass with a pain in the ass.

Thread Information