Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: BAe Hawk Questions

BAe Hawk Questions

So I know the RAF has pared down the Hawk T.1/T.1A family to just two units (No. 100 Squadron & the Red Arrows), but I'm curious. Back, when they were used as weapons trainers, outside of the cannon pod & AIM-9s (for the T.1A), what other stores were carried? I'm assuming practice bombs and maybe SNEB rocket pods? Also, does anyone know if the underwing pylons were ever plumbed for external fuel tanks like they were/are on the Mk.50/60 family?
    Fox-4!

SNEB rocket pods

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XX265.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	254802 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XX350.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	254803

That second to last photo is pretty much what I had assumed. Looks like SNEB rockets, practice bombs, and the Aden gun pod were it. Thanks for helping me confirm it!

Any idea if those pylons were ever plumbed/used for external tanks. I think they were on the export Hawk 50/60 series...just not sure about the RAF's T.1/T.1A fleet.
    Fox-4!

Not a single pic of those with wet bags.. looks like the pylons were not plumbed..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XX199.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	254919

[2] HAWK T.1 / T.1A

* The Hawk that emerged from the development process was not merely a good-looking aircraft; it was agile and handled well, with clean responsiveness to controls, and pilots found it great fun to fly. It was capable of transonic speeds in a dive, which apparently came as something of a surprise to its designers, and had long range and endurance. It was economical to operate and would acquire an excellent safety record. The Hawk was also a relatively quiet aircraft as military jets go, and ambient cockpit noise was low, improving communications between instructor and student.

As mentioned, the Hawk was a tandem-seat trainer with a low-mounted, slightly swept wing, a single engine with inlets above the wing roots, and a conventional tail assembly. It had tricycle landing gear, with all gear assemblies featuring single wheels. The nose gear retracted forward, while the wide-track main gear hinged in the wings towards the fuselage; the nose wheel castored but was not steerable, ground steering being performed by differential mainwheel braking. The aircraft was of conventional construction, built mostly of aluminum alloy, with some use of magnesium to save weight. Interestingly, the Hawk was the first British aircraft to be designed in metric instead of English units.

The wing featured outboard ailerons and inboard double slotted flaps. The tailplane was all-moving. There were also twin fixed ventral fins under the tail; these were significantly shorter in early prototype machines. There was a single airbrake in the belly in front of the two ventral fins -- that cost less than twin airbrakes, but it couldn't be extended while landing. Flight controls and landing gear were powered by duplicate hydraulic systems.

The aircraft was designed to allow fit of five stores pylons, with one on the centerline and two on each wing, though RAF Hawk trainers would never use more than one stores pylon on each wing. The extra attachment point on each wing was specified to permit flexibility for export sales. The inner attachment points were plumbed for drop tanks. For weapons training, the Hawk could be fitted with a centerline gun pod -- similar to those fitted to British Harrier jump jets, with a single 30 millimeter Aden Mark 4 cannon with 120 rounds -- and a stores pylon under each wing for munitions. Pylon loads included practice bomb carriers and SNEB rocket pods, or a pair of 455 liter (120 US gallon) drop tanks. External load in practice was restricted to 680 kilograms (1,500 pounds).

http://www.airvectors.net/avhawk.html#m2
    But I don't know if it were used in RAF service...

1Saludo
    Revista Ejercitos, sometime She will back...

Yeah I just assume at this point that only the export variants had the wing pylons plumbed.

That said I think the Hawk has had an interesting service life in the RAF (& RN) and used far outside of what Hawker Siddeley probably envisioned when they designed it.

Anybody know any good reads on how they were used in the Air defense role and what years that was put into practice? I'd be especially keen to learn how they integrated with the Tornado (& Phantom?)

Pylon loads included practice bomb carriers and SNEB rocket pods, or a pair of 455 liter (120 US gallon) drop tanks. External load in practice was restricted to 680 kilograms (1,500 pounds).
    So having both tanks would means a partial fuel load in each even discarding EFT weight and pylons?
    (455*2*0.85~=773kg>680kg)
    Wasn't it a peace time setting?

Yeah I just assume at this point that only the export variants had the wing pylons plumbed.
    I think that's correct.

Certainly when the Red Arrows were deploying to Malaysia and China on tours they weren't fitted with tanks. The latter trip required more than 40 stops for refuelling in total.

Thread Information