Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Hispano Buchon Thread

Hispano Buchon Thread

I know many if not most people want to see "genuine" 109s, but I have to say I find the Buchon story very interesting, and I really enjoy seeing them fly when given the opportunity. It has its own unique story, that simply adds to the 109 story overall in my opinion.

The sound of the Merlin is beautiful, and so I just wanted to see if I could generate any interest in a discussion on this family of aircraft.

First of, are there any good reference works on it that people might recommend? I'm assuming because its effectively a variant of the 109 (as opposed to a new airplane) that there wouldn't be a huge market for a specific reference work on it, but I love to read about the technical details on a given airplane.

Anyone else like the Buchon family and enjoy seeing it regardless of the fact that it's not a "genuine" 109?
    Fox-4!

Phantom II :

If you like to visit a FB page as well, you might consider this one: https://www.facebook.com/groups/254190391438184/

A lot of pics and info regarding the HA-1112.

Michael

I'll wager that Daz will be along shortly.....

I was about to say that, RAFRochford!

You're definitely on the right forum to attract fellow Buchon fans, Phantom II! My first exposure to "109s" was the Warbirds Over Wanaka 1992 book and video, showcasing the Old Flying Machine's G-BOML which was referred to as a Me109J. I'm one who would love to see a Spanish-marked Buchon fly. Maybe one day.
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

This is THE book on the Buchon: http://www.libreriagaudi.com/los-der...nos-del-bf-109

It's not cheap and the postage is pretty hefty, but there is an outlet looking to import it into Tunbridge Wells soon...

The book is in Spanish but the photo's are self explanetary. There are comprehensive lists detailing accidents (big list) and hours flown by every machine. The paper is excellent as is the photo repro. I didn't find the Spanish language too much of a problem, but an English version would obviously be the ideal. There is next to no coverage of the B of B film but it does finally identify the missing 18th flyer that was destroyed doing aero's before filming began. It's not Spitfire Survivors 1+2, but it's of great in-depth research and unseen photo's. Highly recommended.

Apart from the couple of Buchons in Spanish museums, have there ever been efforts to restore one to flight in Spain? Due to the numbers still around, it could be done.

Indeed it would be nice to see one in its original colours.
    Having said that, seeing them in their Battle of Britain film schemes is also appropriate to me, given the impact that the film had on the warbird scene it isn't an insignificant part of the Buchon's story.

I really never like the Buchon right from the BoB film but I grew to really like it after sitting in the Hannas at The Fighter Meet North Weald but I would hate to fly one its a bit snug in there.
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAFRochford
    I'll wager that Daz will be along shortly.....
    Present!

Yep, I do love me a Buchon.

I've maybe built almost a dozen models of the type, including the two-seater variant, and I still have several projects in mind!

I've not seen a flying Buchon since G-BOML in 1999, mind you, but I will one of these days!
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

I certainly love the look of the Buchanan, the merlin engine cowling gives it a fantastic appearance. Always liked them from when I first saw them as a schoolboy during making of Battle of Britain film.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battle of Britain (64).jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	254661
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

One from the archives - Planes of Fame's Hispano Buchon N700E, complete with her modified nose section (still has the Merlin, though)....

Name:	Hispano Buchon NX700E.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	254665
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

I have never been a fan of the Merlin engined Buchon`s cowlings. I have never understood why they have the air intake right under the propeller. Spits and Hurries, have the carburettor intake further back, giving the nose a more streamlined appearance, so why not do it with the Buchon?. The picture that has been posted above of N700E shows that it can be done, and in my opinion makes it so much better looking, and more authentic to the wartime Bf109`s that they are representing at modern day airshows.

The Buchon whilst a derivative of the Bf109G-2 is in my view an aircraft in its own right and the merlin engines and their original cowlings demonstrate the construction by Hispano Aviación of the HA-1112-M1L Buchón. Any use as a Bf109 is a bonus and when converted may look like a German made original. It is still a Buchon. I think they look good as they are.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Robert Whitton,
    Edinburgh, Scotland

One of fifteen(!) Buchon models that I've built....

Name:	12249634_10153881478238149_6726139850853931717_n.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	254669

...and I have about another half-dozen stashed away!
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

I had a short article in IPMS Magazine in 1973.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Robert Whitton,
    Edinburgh, Scotland

How many of the models are in Spanish markings Daz.

None.

The reason being that I've been concentrating on building models of aircraft from films. As a result, most of my Buchons are Battle of Britain film aircraft, but I've also done Piece of Cake, Memphis Belle, Dunkirk, and even The Star of Africa (with a Hispano HA-1109).

I've still got Pearl Harbor to do, and possibly even the infamous "Hurrischmitt" from Battle of Britain.

I do, however, plan on doing G-BOML and G-AWHK in some of their airshow colours as well. I always loved that Defence of the Reich scheme G-BOML wore.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Wasn't there a Buchon painted up in a USAAF scheme (with invasion stripes?) for a film? Patton? Sure I've seen a pic...

Edit: Yep, Star of Africa as you mentioned!
    Last edited by Hooligan; 13th July 2017 at 13:34.

Yes, there was a Buchon (or two) modified and painted up for Patton, although I don't ever remember seeing them in the final film.

There was also the taxiing Buchons which were made up as RAF fighters for the film Eagles Over London:

Name:	eagles-over-london-1969-enzo-g-castellari-dir-bn6pm4.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	254679
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Piece of Cake Buchon D-FEHD.

Name:	10464138_10152766820458149_223549711069220071_n.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	254680

Dunkirk Buchon G-AWHK.

Name:	14265051_10154538070753149_8836331112482796401_n.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	254681
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Hooligan
    Wasn't there a Buchon painted up in a USAAF scheme (with invasion stripes?) for a film? Patton? Sure I've seen a pic...
    In fact there were 3 Buchons converted to star as fake "P-51B´s" in "Patton". But the clips were never used in the film. The movie scenes were shot in France, one of the Buchons (G-AWHG) was damaged in a landing accident. IIRC they were G-AWHG, G-AWHL and G-AWHS.

Michael

Ah thanks for that chaps, memory is a bit better than I thought.

Daz, is that the 1/48 Academy kit? Got one in the loft to be built "one day" along with at least half a dozen Sea Furies!

A question?
    Why did they build them without the "Erla" hood, surely it would of made the aircraft a lot more pilot friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan
    Daz, is that the 1/48 Academy kit? Got one in the loft to be built "one day" along with at least half a dozen Sea Furies!
    It is indeed. Nice wee kit, quite easy to put together. Probably not 100% accurate in places, but I don't mind - I mean, it's pretty much the only 1/48th Buchon out there, if you can find it!
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

One on E-bay right now. Not long to go.

This has literally just landed on my doormat...

Name:	hqdefault.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	254716
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Name:	Modified Buchon.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	254718

Rather unconvincing looking Mustang wannabe

Leonard Mosely's "Battle Of Britain-The Making Of A Film" writes in detail about the "Sabasta". The Spanish auction of the 28 Buchons and how tense it was for Hamish Mahaddie, after being approached by a couple of shady characters also interested in acquiring the planes.
    I simply can't imagine that movie having to be made without the contribution of the Hispano HA 1112. The aviation film and warbird communities would be much less richer without the late Group Captain's persistence.

Thread Information