Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Report on "historic" RIAT 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1867
    Clearly the Thunderbirds obtain their smoke from Fords, you can have any color as long as it is white.
    I must say that I prefer the white smoke as opposed to colour. I remember on year at Mildenhall, the Reds arrived back from Southend doing a low pass with smoke on.
    As there was little or no wind, a muddy brown smoke hung around for ages. Colour might be ok when going over Buck House, but I don't think it adds anything to their display,
    certainly not in the volume they produce it. Not of course that they use colour all of the time.
    On another point, The Red Arrows are promoted as an aerobatic team, where I believe the Tbirds use the term Flight Demonstration Team, flying extremely close to each other.

My favourites by far, are the Frecce Tricolori, even with their colourful smoke. They are helped by having aircraft more suited to aerobatics.
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Bethesda, North Wales, Burtonwood & Bromley, Kent
    Fouga23, the term "undercoat" was used by the commentator, IIRC.
    I had just got round to seeing the glass as half full instead of half empty, when some sod came and drank it......

The Reds vary their coloured smoke choices for each show according to weather conditions in order to get the maximum effect. Certain smoke colours are more effective against different backdrops, so the smoke heart manoeuvre will not always be in red smoke, it could be blue. A big thumbs up to all who flew yesterday, with very low cloud base and difficult wind conditions. Was lucky enough to get a nose around the static Hurricane at the end of the day. stunning.

Is there an Auster/Taylorcraft in the static park? Anybody get a photo?

Yes there is and yes I did:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14Jul17 (237).JPG 
Views:	298 
Size:	634.7 KB 
ID:	254734

Its the Boscombe Down museum static restoration project.Being rebuilt from an aborted Lycoming 0-320 conversion into MK V standard.

Originally built as an Auster IV apparently...

Marvellous thank you!

It was a long old day yesterday but on the whole worthwhile.
    The security checks were approached with common sense and I got in drama free.
    The drizzle put paid to a few acts and the low cloud beat the Raptor much to my bitter disappointment.
    The Thunderbirds beat the weather and T-Bird 12 did her best with the commentary (she is isn't the dedicated narrator, he is is still recovering back in the US from his accident) to put on a noisy and entertaining display.
    I have seen them a few times now all in the UK but I'd really like to see the Blue Angels.
    I loved the BBMF 'Thompson Display' and it's a shame it's only being performed at limited events. I felt it was wasted on the average brain dead RIAT punter.
    Left at 5 after a final swing through the static to avoid a late long drive.
    I'm not sure about next year because it is the dreaded 'Farnborough ' year where that joke of a show barges RIAT out the way onto Legends weekend. I had a relatively inactive day yesterday but my phone informs me that I walked over 7 miles .
    Next year would mean RIAT one day then Legends next day. For one thing I like to reflect on the display I have just been to but fat chance of that with another great show next day.
    I may look into RIAT on a Friday again on the 'Farnborough years'

It will be interesting to see what RIAT make of the RAF 100 for 2018, surely someone somewhere can put on a good line up for a few days?

I think the RAF 100 promises to be an incredible opportunity to gather WW1, WW2 and more recent types together. In terms of flyers, the inter-war and Cold War types might be a bit thin in the air but maybe not so much on the ground. Plus of course we have honorary RAF squadrons from Norway, Poland, Canada etc to draw on and maybe we can bring together the less often-seen air forces from the Commonwealth too. We also have seen some lovely tribute schemes on foreign military aircraft, so it's it'll be interesting to see what comes together in the next 12 months.

There's a Fouga Magister in the static? Any one have an image?

Here ya go

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	414.2 KB 
ID:	254738

Name:	b.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	545.0 KB 
ID:	254739

Thanks! It indeed looks amazing!

Today, Sunday, the flying program gave us the promise of "B-2A x 3". They had apparently flown from the States to appear at the show and were then going to fly straight back. Sadly, for us anyway, the new cloaking paint that had been applied to two of them proved extremely effective and only one B-2 could be detected by the standard eyeball mark one.

IMG_1543

As part of the 70th anniversary celebrations Sally B put in an appearance as did a P51.

IMG_1457CPS

IMG_1486C
    I had just got round to seeing the glass as half full instead of half empty, when some sod came and drank it......

Tomorrow, Monday, we will really miss not being in the FRIAT enclosure for the fly-outs. We are intending to go to PAV West and hope 27 is in use and to catch the B52 departing. Another early start!!

The Bump. Tell us more about "the average brain dead RIAT punter".

You will find a lot of them in The Village Enclosure, never again. Out for a picnic and a drink, up and down, in and out and sod anybody trying to watch, video or photograph the display.

Doubt the B-52 will depart Monday: more likely later in the week, but you never know!

Fly out day Monday 17th July 2017

RIAT 17 MON 17JUL17

Today, Monday, brings to an end the annual Hercules fly-in!

Monday is departures day and we spent the day in the western PAV. As per normal runway 27 was used for the vast majority of the activity. Some aeroplanes that had been at the western end of the static park did depart on 09, but not all. When using either runway departures are executed to give the best display at mid-runway opposite the FRIAT enclosure.

As mentioned before the only opportunity to see most of the heavies and historic that form the static display is when they fly in or out. We attended the west PAV on all the days it is available Wednesday, Thursday and Monday.

Each day the organisers produce an activity list of all the expected arrivals, departures and displays. At the top of each list it states that all times are “local”, however, it became fairly obvious that the activity better fitted zulu. The strange thing is it continued for all six days uncorrected!

Wednesday was the best day with 10 hours of arrivals and practice, very intensive. Monday from about 0800 zulu to about 1600 zulu can best be described as fast and furious with a continuous stream of aeroplanes of all types, shapes and sizes manoeuvring and departing. This included two U2 departures but sadly, Sabrejet was right, and both the B1 and B52 stayed on the ground.

There will be no pictures of fast jets, only “historic” and heavies of interest.

IMG_2815C

IMG_2746C

IMG_2673

IMG_2647

IMG_2630

IMG_2433

IMG_2441

IMG_2444

Not a cross wind but waggling the FRIAT grandstand.

IMG_2502

IMG_2403

IMG_2402

The Wedgetail of the RAAF has a visit to make before returning to Aus.

IMG_2315

IMG_2327

IMG_2335

Following Japan's first visit last year they attended again this year and brought some "drummers" with them. If you like the drums you should listen to these guys.
    We viewed the inside of their plane but unfortunately were unable to communicate very well despite the fact that their English was better than my non existent Japanese.

IMG_2045

IMG_2224

To give you some idea of the problems of heat haze when taking long distance shots at low level across the airfield. The second picture is a crop from the first. Insidently the plane is flying towards the camera.

IMG_1945

IMG_1945C

This Canadian Chinook was held for some time at the runway threshold waiting for it's slot. For some major part of that time it was held with it's front wheels off of the ground. I wonder if there is any reason for this?

IMG_1868

IMG_1760

IMG_1589

Regrettably the Hurricane departed from the middle of 09 so we saw nothing.

"Following Japan's first visit last year they attended again this year and brought some "drummers" with them."

They first visited in 2012, then in again 2014 as well as 2016. Either 2012 or 2014 the drummers were present and were excellent then also.
    RMR

We went Sunday.It was a great day out but at times it did seem to descend into a battle of the hyper ego commentators and "music" that really didn't play out well on the tannoy system.
    I have to give credit to the Red Arrows commentator he did take the mickey out of the Thunderbirds commentator ,"sit back ,put your feet up and relax ,IT'S SHOWTIME LOL The stalls were were few [unless you wanted food ] and not a huge amount of aviation themed ones really.There seemed to be plenty of toilets for a change but there just didn't seem to be the crowds.
    An enjoyable day out.We were lucky we got into the red carpark and out in a few minutes and back at my friends in Oxford in 50 mins.

Thanks for the correction, MRM, for some reason I got the impression last year that it was their first visit. Going to see if I can find the drummers on YouTube.

If it helps with the Legends clash, I believe RIAT will have a full 3 days of displays next year, rather than Friday being a short show day.

Thread Information