Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miss Velma P51 Landed in cornfield at Flying Legends

Miss Velma P51 Landed in cornfield at Flying Legends

Just heard about this ,hopefully the pilot ok and the aircraft not too damaged

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news...ice=responsive

See the Duxford thread....

Not all of us read the Duxford thread,it's not obligatory and others who don't read may not of seen it.

Looks more like a wheat field to me.

Corn is the generic term I believe

While we are speculating on the crop may I add Cereal to the discussion
    Hertfordshire Airfields Memorial Group
    http://hamg.co.uk

Hunsdon, Sawbridgeworth and Matching Green airfields..
    http://www.wartime-airfields.com

You don't read the Duxford thread Trumper? Is that a political statement? Why ever would you choose to ignore ongoings of the heart of UK historic aviation?

How will they extract the aircraft from the field ?
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Call in a kernel in the USAF to help extract it. Oh? It's a wheat field, not corn?

Despite the attempt at humor, I recognize the serious nature of Miss Velma's prang. Good luck to the P-51's team.
    "The RAF Museum show has been forensically examined and was deeply unimpressive. I knew that their whale of a story was loaded with baloney".

Glad to see pilot OK and P-51 looks bent but fixable. And at least your descriptions here agree with the photos of it high and dry in a field of wheat: numerous quotes in the Duxford thread state that it ditched!!

Maybe as it's only a very short trip, maybe they can transport it complete ?
    Although saying that, even if they could lift it onto a low loader, how would they get it back into the airfield ?
    They need the services of a passing Chinook.
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

"You don't read the Duxford thread Trumper? Is that a political statement? Why ever would you choose to ignore ongoings of the heart of UK historic aviation?"

Yes it a big part of aviation BUT i don't really want to wade through pages of non related stuff to see 1 item.

Alan -I would imagine use a loadall to put it on a trailer and take it out the route that does the least damage to the crops. Then possible dismantle once its somewhere it can be safely worked on . All of this will be simple to the guys there - sad it happened but its bent metal that can be fixed.

Are there no lengths to which these re-enactor wallahs will go in their quest for authenticity? Quite frankly, I'm a..maized, hopefully the TFC chaps will have it sorted in barley any time at all...
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Erm - it's not TFC's to sort - it's maintained at Sywell, with just one chap at Duxford who keeps an eye on the Anglia Restorations collection as it rotates through.

FB

Ah, I don't keep track of who owns what etc.
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Who was the fearless aviator?

Great landing by the obviously very skilled pilot. No-one hurt. Perfect outcome
    Damaged aircraft is a D model, so no biggie. It'll take lots of money but parts are plenty about for these.

Geeez where's that guy filming from?

Rob

Video has been removed

Why don't mustangs have wooden blades?

Do we know the identity of the pilot, quick thinking and skill to preserve life and airframe massive respect, did local knowledge help as a regular pilot at duxford or I guess this is the norm for pilots whatever bird they fly.

From the immediate post incident photos I thought it looked like S H senior - but of course I could be quite wrong!

Rob

It's funny I thought SH Snr from the initial photos too. It's not though.

It wasn't SH.

Before all this happened I was at Legends on the Friday chatting about Mustangs in general to some apparently knowledgeable chap and he said the thing that might cause problems in the
    future is a shortage of propellers and hubs worldwide, anyone shed any light on this?
    For aviation images check out my photostream;
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65081372@N04/

Pretty sure that new blades are being made now. Nothing is impossible!

Blades are the (relatively) easy bit to reproduce, it's the hub that is the problem.

The Mustang prop hub is a bit different to the usual 50-spline units fitted on most warbirds of the time. It was smaller and more compact and has the smaller D-shank blade, not the much more common E-shank so there are fewer about even, it seems, in the US.

No doubt, 50 years ago they'd have been in piles rusting away as mere remnants of yesterday's technology.

Anon.

Can a P51 prop be feathered when the engine is dead? Wondering why the prop wasn't feathered in this instance?

Thread Information