Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Spitfire Crashes

Spitfire Crashes

Hello,
    There have been three Spitfire crashes this month.
    Thankfully no fatalities.
    Is it time to call it a day and ground them while those that are left are still in one peice and a joy to see.
    Alex

Alex,

Spitfires are not what you think, 99% of them are not the historical aircraft you think, but more or less new builds with a few bits tacked on.
    When you see what they start with, it means nothing in a Spit cannot be reproduced these days, so no to your question.

As more and more Spitfires are produced, so the incidence of crashes will rise. Is this sufficient reason for grounding them all ? What nonsense !

Hello Tony & John,
    As far as I am aware only one of the three was a replica.
    The other two were vintage aircraft (as I understand ) that have so far survived WW2 and years being rebuilt and made airworthy again.
    Also I am unaware that large numbers of new built Spitfires are available, has Germany placed an order yet? they wanted them badly in WW2
    Alex
    Last edited by Alex Smart; 24th June 2017 at 17:27.

There are very few that haven't been through a rebuild, the one that flipped on its back had just had both wings done I believe. Just because it isn't called a replica is a bit of a grey area as a Spit can be rebuilt and often the only thing used in it can be the data plate, and even that can be replaced, I think ( could be wrong ) the CAA use the plate as a minimum for a rebuild. The wheels up one has already flown I believe, it went down to Arco for further repairs, ( Could be wrong again ) The Rolls Royce 19 was one of the few that hadn't had a total overhaul and rebuild, but even that has gone through one since, though a lot of it is still original.

Yes Alec, but only because we were extremely rude to their Me109s/Me110s/Junkers88s/Heinkel111s/and Dornier 17s.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Smart
    Is it time to call it a day and ground them while those that are left are still in one piece and a joy to see.
    No Alex. Because a flightless Spitfire is simply a corpse, and a long way from being a joy to see. Just a sad (if pretty) lump of metal corroding slowly away.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Thread Information