Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Australian Presentation Spitfire - Droiun or Buln Buln?

Australian Presentation Spitfire - Droiun or Buln Buln?

Hello,

I am doing some research on behalf of a lady in Australia, who wishes to know more about a particular Spitfire. The town on Drouin in Victoria raised £6000 for a fighter and the fund was known as the 'Buln Buln Citizens Spitfire Fund'.

The then Prime Minister visited the town of Drouin at the beginning of August 1941 to present a certificate of appreciation. August 1941 was some 14 months before Spitfires entered RAAF service, so it is presumed that the monies went to fund a RAF Spitfire. Can anyone assist the lady in her quest to find out the airframe's identity?

I've looked through a list of Presentation Spitfires and can't seem to find any reference to either 'Buln Buln' or 'Drouin'. It may be that it was some other type and not a Spitfire?

Best wishes,

Martin

Martin

THE reference for presentation aircraft is "Gifts of War" by Henry Boot and Ray Sturtivant. I have had a good plough through it. Unfortunately I can find no reference to a Spitfire bearing either of those names. Equally I can't find a listed donor bearing those names, nor a donor or named aircraft in any other of the types listed. £6K would be about right for a fighter, rather than a bomber, trainer or simulator. There are a couple of references to some groups being unable to send moneys to the UK so the funding ended up diverted to the RAAF, so that is a possibility. Sorry to be unable to help.

The Australian War Memorial at Canberra has this exhibit on file:-

5/1/4 Buln Buln Shire Citizen's Spitfire Fund, 1941 A framed certificate from the Buln Buln Shire Citizen's Spitfire Fund to Prime Minister Menzies recording the donation of 6,607.14.4 pounds. (1 item)

Mark
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Gentlemen,

Thank you for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. So it may appear that somehow the monies never made it to the UK and it is possible that the money was used to buy a RAAF machine. If i or the lady find anything else, we will of course come back here and tell you.

Thanks again,

Martin

Or the money did make it but with a different name tag on- as a part of a larger collection perhaps? Or maybe I missed it, or maybe this is one of the few gaps in the book. Both authors readily admitted that the record is incomplete. I will have another look with a wider purview at some point.

Thread Information