Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Trooping of the Colour 2017 Historics

Trooping of the Colour 2017 Historics

Obviously no Lancaster but are the Fighters and DC3 taking part this year ?
    if so are they loacating to an airfield down South IE Biggin North Weald?

I know they normally hold around Hanningfield reservoir and begin from there.

Someone may know just the whole flight minus the vintage pass right over head here in Essex
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

A BBMF Spitfire was just squawking on FR24 over Cambridge, now gone
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

2 hurricanes 1 spitfire passed me now just overflown Hendon and off to Northolt
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

I think they were operating out of Brize Norton later for the Weston show? Well LF363 was in the Brize area some hours later on FR24.

Tim

Anyone know why LF363 and the Baby Spitfire landed at White Waltham Saturday afternoon?
    The Hurricane departed at 3:20pm but the Spitfire did not. I wondered if the Spitfire had a problem?

I think only one in the flight squawk on transits
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

No I mean I was there and saw the Hurricane depart. The Spitfire was still there at 4:30pm with no sign of leaving.
    Was the Spitfire due to display at Weston? If so that would indicate it had a problem and was awaiting help.
    If not then it was probably just waiting for the Hurricane to return before going home.

I was a very hot day. Maybe the Spitfire had a problem with the heat?

Must take myself down to specsavers. The BBC commentary on the flypast told me, more than once, that it was two Spitfires and a Hurricane I was watching. The BBC couldn't have been wrong, being sticklers for accuracy and respect for the historical significance to our country of the aircraft we were looking at.

Hampden98, I read on the BBMF Website that the landings at White Waltham were scheduled, I think it was something to do with Weston, but I can't find that particular piece of information again!
    MichaelH, I was beginning to doubt the reliability of the mk1 eyeball, but the commentary says a lot for the skill & versatility of the BBMF Pilots as it seems that the flypast was carried out by Mark Discombe & Stu Smiley, both of whom were flying Spitfires. No mention of 'the boss' who I assume was flying two Hurricanes!
    It was much better when Sean Maffett used to commentate from the Lancaster.
    Edit: Found it, Spitfire P7350 & Hurricane LF363 were indeed scheduled to land at White Watham, but no departure times were given.
    Regards, Rich.
    Last edited by The Navigator; 18th June 2017 at 23:55. Reason: Found more information

Thread Information