Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spitfire 'NH341' Wheels-up landing at Sywell

Spitfire 'NH341' Wheels-up landing at Sywell

Being reported that '341 has landed wheels up at Sywell, both crew members are believed to be ok.

Oh FFS, good news crew is ok.
    I did see it up on Flightradar24 this afternoon
    Lets hope not to much damage done

From the post on Facebook it sounds like they think the undercarriage failed to lock down properly. The photo shows Cliff Spink stood in the background so he was possibly the pilot?

For those not on FB here is the photo referred to, from Aero Legends FB page. Glad it ended not too unhappily. Name:  19095565_1872909189636554_5733844140166699813_o.jpg
Views: 4997
Size:  505.5 KB
    “I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

That is a shame, but it looks like the sort of damage that's repairable.
    A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

From the Aero Legends Facebook page:

"Update: NH341 has been recovered to a hangar on site. Engineers from Aircraft Restoration Company have inspected the damage and are confident that they will have her flying shortly. We would like to thank the Sywell Aerodrome RFFS and Management, Richard Grace of Air Leasing Ltd and all others who have helped and sent their support."

doesnt look like its crashed to me. only joking !!!

A unique experience for the passenger, made even more unique. Now where's that video recording?

It is a shame, and tough luck for the folk involved, but it will be sorted out in time.

Without being too flippant, seriously, you could make a calender with pictures of two seat Spitfires sitting on their bellies.

I am struggling to think of any that have not ! Some have done it twice !

Maybe it's a local thing. That two-seater off the Spit's left wingtip looks like it had a similar experience.
    A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

Just seen another picture on here of 341 before the flight and it appears to have been Charlie Brown and Cliff Spink in the cockpits

Sad news - I hope she is back in the air soon. There us an article about this Spitfire in the current Aeroplane as well describing Aero Legends plans.
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

Doesn't appear to have slid very far judging by the shape of the rad cowls & the lack of landscaping/bunnies stuffed in the front of them.... & at least this one is the right way up.
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Many crashed spitfires ago, I remember talking to Mark at Supermarine, about the problem, we concluded that a couple of small cameras mounted on the spar(s) aimed at the locks would let you know if they were indeed locked.
    Why be your own worse critic, that's what the forum is for.

looks like a last few seconds rolling squat good news hopefully for a swift return to the blue

Cannot see the point of cameras looking at it, if they have failed they have failed and no amount of staring at it is going to rectify that.

Glad it all ended so well and the punter, if it was a punter, in the back will have some tales to tell..... I can see it now, so how's the flight dad, did you get the souvenir video.... Yes and not only that, they gave me three foot off the prop.
    Last edited by TonyT; 17th June 2017 at 12:48.

I bet Cliff is throwing a few effs at her. "How bluddy dare you? Do you know who I am you complete cow!!" :-P

"Cannot see the point of cameras looking at it, if they have failed they have failed and no amount of staring at it is going to rectify that".

It gives you two options, one is to recycle the U/C mechanism holding the lever hard in the gate so that the hydraulics pull everything into line, and two, is that if you know one isn't locked you would choose a wheels up, rather than end up on one U/C leg, and risk it going over.
    Why be your own worse critic, that's what the forum is for.

Isn't this one of those things that happens to Spitfires and Hurricanes on occasion?
    I've seen quite a few on their belly and nose, both Spitfire and Hurricane over the years.
    Mostly during taxi.
    Was the problem erradicated with the later marks? Can't remember ever seeing a Griffon on it's belly?

Quote Originally Posted by hampden98
    Can't remember ever seeing a Griffon on it's belly?
    PS890 aside... PS853 - 7 Jan 2013, East Midlands.
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Are the wooden props made by a machine or are they all hand built much like a WW1 prop?
    Must take a hell of a long time to form and then shape one.

Here's a link to a primary manufacturer of these units.
    A good description of blade construction is included.
    Lots of craftsmanship along with the best grade woods.

http://www.hoffmann-prop.com/en/18/Manufacture

Andy

Here's another link to a different manufacturer. Beautiful stuff. Hard to not find this fascinating.

http://www.hercprops.com/portfolio-g...nside-factory/
    Last edited by DH82EH; 18th June 2017 at 15:36. Reason: added another link

Presumably the radiator cowlings take a hit on a landing like this. Are they "designed" to take the load or if not where do the loads get transmitted to?

Generally they tend to crush and the radiators then take the weight of the aircraft sometimes pushing them up into the structure above it. Don't forget the nice air intake scoop too that likes to eat up mud and stones and push them through the carb and supercharger.

All in all its never a great thing to do.

FB

Thanks FB. As you say not a good thing to do.

Many crashed spitfires ago, I remember talking to Mark at Supermarine, about the problem, we concluded that a couple of small cameras mounted on the spar(s) aimed at the locks would let you know if they were indeed locked.
    Seeing the mechanism is bike chain and cable with a gearboxed taper pin at the end it wouldnt hurt..Wasnt there an inflight fix where you went inverted and jiggled the UC selector to move the lock pins while it was unloaded?
    "If the C.O. ask's you to be Tail End Charlie...just shoot him!!!....A Piece of Cake.
    http://spitfirea58-27.blogspot.com.au/

Yes Qld, that works if the Gear won't come down, but no good if the gear already is down.

I'm sure the engine will get a teardown, any educated guesses if it has sustained major damage?

In terms of repair time, it might be the engine, rather than the prop, will determine when it flies again.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

From an Aerolegends reply on FB...
    The reduction gear was assessed for run out and was spot on so a replacement propeller will be fitted tomorrow to check the engine which we expect to be ok. Flaps were replaced today with another set to allow the originals to be repaired. The air intake and radiator boats were removed and repairs commenced. Making great progress.
    Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Sounds like they're got it well in hand already!
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Thread Information