Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Grenfell Tower fire

Finally a case where it appears an alternate had been fitted unbeknown to the customer

Camden Council confirmed that cladding used on its Chalcots estate would be removed after safety tests.

Councillor Georgia Gould, leader of the council, said: "The new results from the laboratory show that the outer cladding panels themselves are made up of aluminium panels with a polyethylene core.

"Therefore, the panels that were fitted were not to the standard that we had commissioned. In light of this, we will be informing the contractor that we will be taking urgent legal advice."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40366646

Fridge confirmed as the source, its a Hotpoint, model in link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40380584

Premier Inns have found three effected, looking at the pictures, they are going to need higher scaffolding than shown

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/23/at-lea...tower-6728933/

And now Camden Council have decided it would be a good idea to have over 800 homes evacuated because of 'safety concerns' over the cladding.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40389148

http://news.sky.com/story/camden-eva...-fire-10925449

Another classic example of a knee-jerk reaction, after a major tragedy.

It would appear the decision has upset a lot of the residents of the Chalcots estate.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by Bradburger; 23rd June 2017 at 21:37.
    The most usless commodity in aerobatics is the amount of sky above you!

The Camden thing is an utter farce.

I get that there is potential for a similar fire to Grenfell, but really, what are the chances of it happening? A total over reaction from a council leader who is terrified of taking responsibility for something.

The residents could always refuse and stay put.

The Camden thing is an utter farce.

I get that there is potential for a similar fire to Grenfell, but really, what are the chances of it happening? A total over reaction from a council leader who is terrified of taking responsibility for something.
    Agree......total over reaction, driven by media "hype".

The residents could always refuse and stay put.
    Apparently some of them have done. They should be given the choice.

They are now being forced to leave...

Damned if you do and Damned if you don't, I can understand the reasoning, I should imagine the Council Insurers have a role in this and the coverage.

The only legal way - without additional Court action - they can be forced to leave is if they haven't paid their rent

I have been watching Victoria on the Beeb this morning talking to some of the survivors and what a sad indictment of today's culture it is.
    Asked if they were receiving the monies raised through various causes, they were saying they have had to refuse it or sign anything at the moment as they have been legally advised that if they accept it it may damage their claims for compensation later, similar a builder had been offered accommodation his company had built rent free for six months at the Elephant and Castle but had to decline because his child is educated locally and it would also effect him getting re homed as the Council in Kensington could take him off the list, others have had similar offers but are having to turn them down, similar with people staying locally with friends and family etc, they have had to stop as it is deemed as no longer in need. so they are living on charity... church.... mosque donations etc

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT
    CHECK YOUR FRIDGE
    Yup, still there!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT
    CHECK YOUR FRIDGE

Meddle,
    Yup, still there!
    Considering families and children died, I find that in poor taste Meddle.

It seems some of the figures quotes in 'shock-horror' headlines about penny-pinching and fire safety when it came to the cladding are being proven to be wildly wide of the mark; wasn't a saving of only £5000 for the whole block quoted at one point for more fire-resistant cladding.

The BBC are now quoting cheaper, but not necessarily less fire-resistant, cladding saving £300,000 almost.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40453054

I've questioned it before, and I will again, but I find the, often quoted, figure of £200,000 for a sprinkler-system for the whole block to be unbelievably low. Of course these low figures make great headlines when you are trying to make a point, political or not, but I think this figure originated from some sort of association for the sprinkler-system industry. Now that the cladding on every tower-block is being examined and legislation may well be changed to mandate retrofitting sprinkler-systems into existing blocks I hope that this £200,000 figure doesn't also prove to be wildly wide of the mark.
    WA$.

Totally agree, on all counts, that was why when we were getting bombarded on here about 5K I was saying that might be the difference in cost of a panel, but there are more than simply a panel in a system, attachments systems, weight, etc... it all comes into play and effects the final cost. I am so glad the 5K spouted on here as gospel has been well and truly put to rest. though it does not help those poor people involved in all of this.

Again sprinkler systems and costing totally depends on the building, maybe it was originally envisaged, so the basics are already in the building as opposed to needing a ground up installation... It will vary from building to building.
    Last edited by TonyT; 30th June 2017 at 12:05.

I used to fit Sprinkler systems and a 300 head system in a large store used to be about £120,000, so £200,000 might not be few off.

Thread Information