Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Serious Spitfire crash in France.

Serious Spitfire crash in France.

I have received a report that Spitfire XIX PS890 has been involved in a major accident on take off this afternoon.

Images show the aircraft to be over on its back.

The condition of the pilot is unknown but it looks survivable and we wish him well.

Mark

Last edited by Mark12; 11th June 2017 at 15:34.
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Grosse frayeur, il y a quelques minutes à l'aérodrome des trois-frontières de Longuyon-Vilette. Un "spitfire" vient de s'écraser au décollage à quelques dizaines de mètres du public. Les éclats de l'hélice se sont propagés parmi la foule et manifestement au moins une jeune femme ainsi que le pilote ont été blessés. Les pompiers sont sur le site et manifestement leurs jours ne sont pas en danger mais le choc fût impressionnant.
    On leur souhaite un prompt rétablissement.

Great fear, a few minutes ago at the-Villette Airfield. A "Spitfire" has just been off to a few dozen meters from the public. The of the propeller spread among the crowd and clearly at least one young woman and the pilot were injured. Firefighters are on the site and obviously their days are not in danger, but the shock was impressive.
    We wish them a speedy recovery.
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Further news just in:-

"The pilot at the controls was Cédric Ruet – I’m informed he is safe".

Mark

Last edited by Mark12; 11th June 2017 at 16:55.

Thanks Peter for relaying this sad news to us. Our thoughts are with the injured.

Yes thanks for the info, always sad to hear about these happenings. Must have been awful for the woman, hope she'll be ok.

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Just seen it over on Facebook. Looked nasty, but thankfully the pilot was relatively unscathed.

The Spit? Not so much.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=196094

F-AZJS and photo. Speedy recovery.
    http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 11.6 times!

Just seen the video on Facebook! Looked like the tail lifted too much causing the prop to strike the ground flipping the whole aircraft upside down! So sad as she's one hell of good looking mk19

Bizarre accident - the pilot must count himself very lucky to be alive!

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Longer version of the video clip here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-uQqXKBYAg

Also shows the pilot being extracted from the cockpit.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

I am quite amazed how the wings seem to have bent up into much more dihedral after it went over or is that an optical illusion? The accident all seemed to snowball very quickly glad pilot ok, any news on the woman?

Looks like a broken spar. There was hard up elevator as the tail rose. Very best wishes to all caught up in this.

One almost hesitates to check out this forum on a Sunday evening in the summer, too much drama........too often.

Almost as if the brakes went on or he hit some very soft ground and wheels started to dig in. Never seen an aircraft flip like that with full up elevator applied.

Crikey, that was such a sudden accident, one minute taking off next minute on its back, that pilot was lucky not to have been crushed, thank God!

Looking at the sequence the full up elevator is a correction.

Glad he is ok. The people lifting the aircraft up to get him out is moving and impressive. Not sure why the firemen doused it in that white corrosive stuff tho

If you watch how those lifting the plane suddenly run away and a guy picks up a fire extinguisher, I would guess the foam was for leaking fuel

Glad the pilot is ok, it does look like a broken spar though, the forces involved must have been huge.

Richard
    "Where are you from?"
    "America" Somebody laughed politely.

I hope the injured spectator makes a swift, full and complete recovery, and am relieved that the pilot survived.

Given the accidents at airshows where spectators have been injured, the crowdline to me seems awfully close to the runway.

Can't really be bothered about the aircraft, when people have been injured. Having said that, it's a Spitfire, so it'll reappear in airworthy condition again, someday, somehow.
    Last edited by Kenneth; 11th June 2017 at 20:20.

Not sure why the firemen doused it in that white corrosive stuff tho
    Just a guess - perhaps the fire fighters on the scene thought the situation required it? Corrosion is going to be pretty low on the rebuild assessment list.

IRTR that in recent years two Sea Fury pilots have broken their necks and died after their aircraft turned over, although in one case it was determined that the aircraft was modified from standard and had contributed to the death.

A very lucky escape for this pilot.

That was on the line-up for Flying Legends this year, back 'home' to Duxford. Such a shame.

Speedy recovery! Hope the Spitfire can be repaired.
    http://forum.keypublishing.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=24455&dateline=137163  6822Hindsight is what you see from the tailgunner's position...

Does anyone know if this was the same pilot who caught the propeller of this Spit when landing a couple of years back ?
    There is also another video on YouTube from a different angle ,
    at the risk of being called an arm chair expert , he certainly seems to pour the power on early , especially on a grass airfield in a griffon Spitfire.

I really do hope the pilot is ok, as there is always a concern of head/neck injuries in such an incident.

Quite a few new videos popping up on Youtube, one commenting that it took approx 30 minutes for the rescue services to attend, indicating that there was none in attendance at the event!

This recently posted video lasting over 13 minutes, seems to indicate that there was indeed no emergency cover present, certainly fire crews.

Great work though by various officials and spectators to extricate the pilot.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by Bradburger; 11th June 2017 at 21:40.
    The most usless commodity in aerobatics is the amount of sky above you!

The aerodrome's own operational information suggest both that caution is required if the wind is northerly at more than 15kt, and that great caution is required after heavy rainfall.

I haven't a scoobies if either of those factors contributed or not.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Ouch! Assuming that reports on the pilot above are accurate, it seems to have ended much better than it could have (wasn't K5054 written off in a fatal overturn?) - though I'm not sure that dragging a casualty like that is recommended, and as for the emergency cover...

Adrian
    "Snow clearing equipment has been found under snowdrift" - message sent from RNAS Hatston, Orkney, 1944.

Surprised they are operating a 19 off grass, I know its been done but I seem to remember it's not recommended, having seen one levelled the prop tip clearence is about 2 inches, which doesn't leave a whole lot of room for manoeuvre when operating off undulating damp grass.

So glad he is okay and it is a classic example how something can seriously get away from you very very quickly.

Thread Information