Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Vibrator in the Radio?

Vibrator in the Radio?

Apologies for the tongue in cheek title but I have recently come across a Plessey vibrator with an RAF section ref 10K so its for radio systems. I am going to have to concede I cannot think of a reason a radio system needs a vibration unit? Any ideas?

10K/20419
    VIBRATOR
    TYPE 103
    CP 73484/24

Packed 1960

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0341 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	253553
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Why? Because early radios required them. Have you had a look at it? Is it a nice glass one?

Hi Ash,
    The vibrator causes a set of contacts to open and close rapidly, so the DC supply to the radio power unit is switched on and off. This can then be input to a transformer to increase the voltage to what the radio needs for its HT, maybe 250 volts. Used in preference to a rotary machine if the power required is low. Only relevant to valve equipment of course, so now an obsolete technology.
    Andy

Hello again Andy I should have thought just to ask you anything radio related! That is fascinating though as I try to get my entry level electrics knowledge around how to boost a voltage that way. I think I know what this evenings reading will be about!

Ex Brat - Unfortunately no its just a silver tube. If it was a nice glass one I would be keeping it

Name:	IMG_0338 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	253554

Hi Ash,
    Lots on the web, for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrator_(electronic)
    Andy

Morphett Vale, 30 Klm's south of Adelaide, South Australia
    When I was in the RAF many years ago, I bought a Nash Rambler Station Wagon that had a defunct radio. Being an electronics tech, I removed it and found the fault to be a burnt-out vibrator. I fixed it in about three minuets and had it running again. The vibrator is, as AndyY states, a method of obtaining ac current from a dc supply. The ac can then be transformed to higher voltages to power the radio valves. This is a Nash Rambler if you're not familiar with it. LHD of course.

Name:	004 Nash Rambler Wagon.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	253559

Thread Information