Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Yet another Argentine procurement announcement - will this one be real?

Yet another Argentine procurement announcement - will this one be real?

http://en.mercopress.com/2017/05/19/...es-for-pucaras

So muddled reporting, an actual procurement or yet another baseless rumour?

The least surprising is the Super Etendard, apparently there have been on off negotiations over the years with the French retiring the type making available airframes and spares. If they can get SEM variants it would be a very useful low impact capability upgrade.

Pucara engines is an odd one! What engines? PT6A or Turbomeca Astazou that are surplus to French requirements? The article says from France so probably the latter.

Finally the Mirage, I am leaning towards mistranslation or a confused journalist. Article states Mirage similar to those used during the Falklands conflict, I don't think France has Mirage III or V going spare these days so that leaves the F-1 which is a jet from that era or the M2000. Strange stuff, my guess would be Mirage F-1.

Has Buitreaux seen anything in the local Argentine press?
    Because sometimes in life we need a bit of fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXNAp3mKepc

Nope, you got it wrong.. they have only purchased SuEs which the journalist has mistaken for Mirages..

Err what have I got wrong?

I plainly stated that this sounded like confused reporting by the journolist!

News from France say they are interested in 6 SUE

Quote Originally Posted by Fedaykin
    Err what have I got wrong? I plainly stated that this sounded like confused reporting by the journalist
    Sorry, my bad.. when I am in hurry, I usually read only the beginning and the end of the paragraph.. So the information which got thru was like:

Finally the Mirage.. Strange stuff, my guess would be Mirage F-1.

To gut for the SEM stuff and spares or to increase fleet size? That is the question! If the Argentines have any sense they need to be gutting the Aeronavale of every spare part they can for the SuE if they intend to keep it in service!

F-1 would be a sensible fit for Argentina albeit not exactly exciting, it wouldn't be a huge jump maintenance wise and there are upgrades available.

Will they get the upgraded version with Anemone radar, HOTAS cockpit, ECM gear, NV compatibility and Damocles?

If its true and it passes all of the hurdles and meddling (that is not a dig at Argentina, that applies to any defence procurement) this all seems VERY sensible

Pukara, SE and Mirage have all served Argentina very well and are known quantities
    (The most recent Mirage F1s look excellent and would be a very strong addition)

Incremental improvements in numbers, spares and capability with these airframes would all be welcome. Far more so than the nebulous ideas of buying a handful of exotic, exciting, sexy and expensive aiframes with expensive new supply chains and maintenance requirements.
    Rule zero: don't be on fire

French SEMs must be totally worn out, no? Hard to think another type of a/c which has been flown so hard. But they still probably have spares and upgrades useful for Argentines.
    Not gonna solve their pressing need of air defence assets. Subsonic, no-afterburner aircraft is pretty useless even in QRA.

Quote Originally Posted by Yama View Post
    Not gonna solve their pressing need of air defence assets. Subsonic, no-afterburner aircraft is pretty useless even in QRA.
    Not necessarily. The Super Etendard is a pretty "hot" aircraft as far as non-AB fighters go, much like the A-4M Skyhawk. Lots of dry thrust and good lift, so it climbs fast. It can get to 35,000ft in ~5min from brakes off, with plenty of fuel remaining (80%).

That's only 1-2 minutes slower than a Mirage III or F-5E.

The SuE also has a slight supersonic capability. To exploit this it needs to climb to 40,000ft then do a "zoom dive" to break the sound barrier. It's been tested to Mach 1.3. Not sure what stabilized level speed it could achieve doing this, but perhaps Mach 1.1-1.2 at ~30,000 ft. This might be useful for a minimum time to intercept scenario at 100-300nm.

Does anyone have an approximate number of Argentine SuE's from the original orders remain? Are any operational?

No, they are not operational, the entire Argentine Super Etandard Naval Sqn was disbanded some two years ago.
    The eleven SUE airframes are stored at the COAN.
    Last edited by Sintra; 22nd May 2017 at 18:13.

Thread Information